PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Fletching Jig?

carl365
07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
How do you rate the Arizona Fletching Jig? built well? accurate vane placement?

I like the idea of doing all 3 vanes at once.

Thanks,
Carl

wscywabbit
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I love mine, I've used a full sized straight, a full sized 1 degree, and I own a mini that has 2 degree offset. Its very easy to use and its been very accurate. The only time I've had it mess up was because of my own failure as a user lol.

mxtuner1
07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Other than post-cleaning and changing the arms they are great. They really have helical on the mini and will stabilise anything I've shot with 2" vanes. Just line up fletching in the arms put glue on and close, wait one minute and you aredone.

otisT
07-09-2013, 11:04 AM
I had/have one from years ago I used for aluminum arrows and was quite satisfied with, so got the mini for 'modern' carbon arrows with Blazer vanes, which is all I plan to shoot from here on out. I THINK there is only one 'mini' version, which does right helical only; perhaps wabbit knows, or can look it up. I've only done one vane at a time with it so far, but I'm sure it will work as well as the old one did with three. My arrows are presently not helical, so I end up with one helical and two just offset, but seem to all fly the same. If I get up to hunting, I will, of course, fletch up matched arrows. IMHO, they do a nice job; easy to use and handy to have around, and at a fair price for the home archery tool box. Some kind of fletcher is a must have, and this is the one I'd choose.

Spiker
07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Rub just a little bit of vasaline on the arms with your finger before you use it then if any glue gets on them it doesn't stick and makes clean-up much easier.

Tosi
07-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Rub just a little bit of vasaline on the arms with your finger before you use it then if any glue gets on them it doesn't stick and makes clean-up much easier.

Man I wish I would of thought of that. Thanks spiker. I have used one for ten years started with stright and moved on to the mini. You can order parts as relacment arms on line. Don't soak for to long in acetone as it will warp the arms. But Spiker has that fix. As said above,,, easy and fast.

wscywabbit
07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
As far as I know, there is only the one Mini, and it is a right helical. Works great though on both blazer type vanes and the 2" feathers from Gateway and Truflight. The only thing I don't like about doing feathers with it is its a pain if you need to redo just one feather instead of all three... but that's a minor thing. :)

carl365
07-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank you all, I've decided to get the Arizona jig and also the good tip about the Vaseline on the clamp, that'll work with my present jig too.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Though I've used the Bohning Tower and the Helix the AZ should be similar. I used Scotch tape. Tape in place I used a knife to make the slit needed.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I like the Vaseline idea! With the Bohning Tower it comes with teflon strips.

Hutch:cool:

carl365
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I was just reading the BPE jig instructions and they said to use beeswax or candlewax on the clamp lips to prevent glue sticking.

otisT
07-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Read the instructions; what a novel idea! I wonder if that's what that yellow piece of paper wadded up and stuck into the bottom of my Arizona jig is; I thought it was for balance so's you could stand it upright with an arrow in it.... {:>)

carl365
07-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Read the instructions; what a novel idea! I wonder if that's what that yellow piece of paper wadded up and stuck into the bottom of my Arizona jig is; I thought it was for balance so's you could stand it upright with an arrow in it.... {:>)

Haha! yeah that's not normal for me to read directions, I usually struggle for hours and only in total frustration, may read the instructions IF it's only a sentence or so long.

Carl

otisT
07-14-2013, 07:12 PM
lol, I'm told on good authority, indisputable authority, WOMAN the AUTHORITY, that it's a man thing. Oh, and I've never been lost while driving either, just fearsome confused a time or two.... o