PDA

View Full Version : Ouchie!!!!!

Sonny Thomas
07-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Got stung by a wasp, not once, but twice while dumping a load of fill for behind the header wall of our tile.
Dang thing seems to have come out of my ATV. Sprayed all underneath, but swearing I saw the wasp or another again after I parked my ATV. By the time I put away the ATV and tools my hand was on the swell. Soaked in ice water and then wife had my soak my hand in Epson salt water. Soaked it a bunch before I went to bed.

Got up this morning and my hand swollen and warm to the touch. So more soaking and all that did was make it feel better. Wife gave me some pill for alergic reaction, but ain't nothing happening to make me feel good about missing another 3D.

Started soaking my hand again (see pan in pic). My release hand is so swollen there ain't no way I can get off a accurate shot needed for the Galesburg 3D. And then there's no valley between the first, second and third knuckles. So fit to the jaw bone ain't happening either. Feels like I have a glove on about two sizes too small - that tight.

See red lines. One sting left a small round bruise. That one is probably the one where the wasp started his attack run from about 10,000 feet up. Hit so hard I made a few....colorful metaphors.

Don B
07-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Ouchie is an understatement.
I am allergic(sp),I get stung and I have to give myself a shot and get to an ER ASAP.
not fun.
Don.

Sonny Thomas
07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Don, a first for me. I've been stung I don't know how many times and never had this, but never got stung twice in the same place and on the hand.
Going on noon and still swelled, but feeling a little better. Seems like a fluid build up. I can put pressure on the swelling and it will go down and then comes back.

typically8
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow, hope it gets better soon. You might be allergic and need an epi pen for next time. Better see tthrough doc.

Speedykills
07-14-2013, 03:00 PM
That's got to hurt drink a few brews all good........................

carl365
07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I'd get out a couple or three stiff brews, kick back, and watch some archery vids.

Get well soon!
Carl

Double S
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Looks like you might be allergic. I got nailed a couple days ago between the knuckles on the right hand when I went to move my A frame target with my hanging Yellow jacket target bag. I saw the wasps come out of the holes at the top and let go and one of them nailed me when I tried to swat away. It swell up but not like your pic above. I did get nailed last fall 3-4 times in the fingers when I went to open the driver door on my expedition. I don't use it much.I didn't know there was a yellow jacket nest right under the handle. Darn fingers hurt like a sun of a gun...Swelled a little but kept throbbing on and off for a week. I wish you a speedy recovery. I have two pages of vegetation that I'm allergic too like most grasses, pines, etc. I carry an Epi pen around for safety. When I lived in Yuma, Arizona I ended up swelling up and choking. I made it to the hospital where they gave me a shot. They were burning the Lettuce field and the Chemicals and crap went air born.

Ehunter
07-15-2013, 03:45 AM
One of the best home remedies for any kind of sting is Clorox. Take a credit card or something similar, lightly scrape across the sting to get the stinger out, then apply Clorox with a cotton ball. Takes the sting and itch right out, and heals fast.

bfisher
07-15-2013, 05:41 AM
That looks bad. Fortunately not fatal though. Only thing that gets to me is Yellow Jackets. Hate them suckers. Clorox does work as does ammonia to relieve the itch. Even works well on mosquito bites. By the way, what's an Epi pen?

Barry

Sonny Thomas
07-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Unlike bees, wasps can sting you all they want as their stinger doesn't pull out.

Don B
07-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Berry,
An Epi-pen is a self shot, it is full of epinephrine. As soon as I need to use it I jab it into the top fatty part of my leg, just about where the end of your pocket would be on your leg.
Don.

Sonny Thomas
07-15-2013, 10:13 AM
And I got nailed again! Went to check in our tool shed for something and BANG! right on the point of my shoulder. Went to the house and wife found this sting swab tube and rubbed it in. So far no swelling, but sure hurt like H___.

Double S
07-15-2013, 03:31 PM
And I got nailed again! Went to check in our tool shed for something and BANG! right on the point of my shoulder. Went to the house and wife found this sting swab tube and rubbed it in. So far no swelling, but sure hurt like H___.

Darn it Sonny!. They must love you.

bfisher
07-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, might be time to cut your losses and stay in the A/C for a while.

Sonny Thomas
07-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, Barry, I wanted to, but then my Dad shows up to make sure I got the next railroad tie nailed down. His only 87 this July and I'm still his kid. Soon as he left I headed for a cool-me-down drink and some good ole AC. Have to watch out though. Said he'd be down to check on things in a couple of days. Lord!

One good thing though. Dad up and asks if I got any coal oil. Me; "Dad, coal oil ain't been around for a good while." What else ya got, WD40? Me; "Yep, got cans of it." Dad; "Pour it on your hand and leave it on. It'll take the swellin' out by morning." So I did, but washed it off before headin' for bed. Guess what? Yeah, my hand went down a bunch by this morning and right now, 11:27 am, looking dang near normal.

bfisher
07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Berry,
An Epi-pen is a self shot, it is full of epinephrine. As soon as I need to use it I jab it into the top fatty part of my leg, just about where the end of your pocket would be on your leg.
Don.

I thought that's what they were but have never heard the technical term for them. I do understand that they can be a life saver for those with an allergic reaction to bee stings. Thanks.

mxtuner1
07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
I had some burrowing wasps in my yard and of course when mowing over the top of their hole (didn't know what the hole was for) here they come ...got stung 7 or eight times but I can guarantee you one thing I found out ...I can haul XXX when they are a stinging! Anyway came around the corner of the house probably at 150% previously known max speed and I couldn't think what to yell to inquisitive wife except for "BEES!!!! RUN!!!! A half block later shut it down before heart blew out (I'm old) and got stung again so kicked it back into extra high gear and made it into the house. After a 5 minute cool down and an assessment of damage war was on! I snuck back into the yard grabbed the mower went into the garage taped the handle safety device up and waited an hour for the pigeons to return to the coop you might say. Then went out fired the mower up parked above their hole ran the mower til out of gas about 20 mins and everyone of them was dead. VICTORY!

bfisher
07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I had some burrowing wasps in my yard and of course when mowing over the top of their hole (didn't know what the hole was for) here they come ...got stung 7 or eight times but I can guarantee you one thing I found out ...I can haul XXX when they are a stinging! Anyway came around the corner of the house probably at 150% previously known max speed and I couldn't think what to yell to inquisitive wife except for "BEES!!!! RUN!!!! A half block later shut it down before heart blew out (I'm old) and got stung again so kicked it back into extra high gear and made it into the house. After a 5 minute cool down and an assessment of damage war was on! I snuck back into the yard grabbed the mower went into the garage taped the handle safety device up and waited an hour for the pigeons to return to the coop you might say. Then went out fired the mower up parked above their hole ran the mower til out of gas about 20 mins and everyone of them was dead. VICTORY!

Good one. I was going to suggest just that after reading the first couple sentences. And if people don't know it there is nothing like waiting till after dark when they're all in the hole and pour a gallon of gas into them.

Sonny Thomas
08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Ya ain't gonna believe it, but take a look at the initial picture and look at right hand #2 picture. Yeah, them dirty suckers got me again. See ouchie, black pointer, where stung and this time by one of these blue wasps. They look just like the regular yellow and black wasps, but blue and black and meaner than junk yard dogs. It nailed me just once and felt like the stinger got clear to the bone. MAN! talk about ouch. Wife heard me #^^&$@ clear in the house. Wasnt' 20 minutes and my hand had swollen past the knuckle of the hand and within a hour my whole hand. Itch! Lord have mercy.
The yellow specis build the paper type nests and the blue suckers build mud nests, so some call the critter a Mud Dobber.

Rode my ATV up to the mailbox, 175 yards up our drive. Came back, turned the key to shut off the ATV and this monster blue sucker fly right in my face. Stuck my hand up to protect my face and BAM! After I got done cussin' I threw the mail in the door and grabbed a can of Wasp and Hornet Killer spray. Them things were in my ATV! Spray until I emptied the can. Waited for a bit, kick the carrier on the back and the yellow wasps came out from under handled bars, belows the instrument panel. Got another can of spray killer and sprayed on underneath and every crack I could find. A wasp flew around and I got a 3rd can of spray killer. I didn't stop spraying until my whole ATV was dripping everywhere. You might just I washed my ATV with Wasp and Hornet killer. Got a 4th can of spray sitting by the door just in case I even see a wasp.

wscywabbit
08-07-2013, 04:09 PM
&%#$ that sucks Sonny! Sounds like you need to buy that spray by the case!