PDA

View Full Version : D Loops Safe?

carl365
07-16-2013, 08:36 AM
For the first time, I tried a D Loop on my compound and love the way the arrow nock is positioned being pulled equally from top and bottom. My only question is the safety of the D Loop knots itself, even with melting the string ends into a mushroom head, I get kind of a uneasy feeling. Have these knots ever failed? and, is there a safer way of tying these knots? I saw somewhere a person mentioned a "clove hitch" is safer.

I guess you can wrap a few turns of serving directly behind the mushroom head as extra security.

Thanks,
Carl

TEN RING
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
some guys tie knot on the ends instead of melting the ends

Cnight
07-16-2013, 09:20 AM
You have to make sure you get it mushroomed enough and then I haven't had a problem. But if you don't get it mushroomed enough then it will slip as I found out the hard way. I never like pulling it back the first time cause you just are not sure if it's going to hold. That's just my view on the subject. But I do love my D-loop and not sure what I would do without it.

typically8
07-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I know that scared feeling. I'd rather put new strings on then tie D loops. I have never had a D loop fail though. I also tie some serving tight on the top and bottom of the D so I don't worry about it slipping.

bfisher
07-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't use a loop, but have installed quite a few. To date I have never had one pull through (knock on wood), but have seen it happen. It can get ugly when you punch yourself in the face. Laughable for those of us who are not drawing the bow, but not nice for the guy who is. Of course, I've had releases slip or prematurely fire while drawing with much the same results. Not funny for me.

carl365
07-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks all! I tied together the side of the Dloop and the mushroom head stub with four over and under square knots like in making tied nocks. Now I feel safer.

Carl

Tosi
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Never had one go wrong with just a good mushroom, just use good D-loop rope.

carl365
07-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Never had one go wrong with just a good mushroom, just use good D-loop rope.

I believe your right. I see most of the Olympic compound archers use the traditionally tied DLoop.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Been using a d-loop on my target bows since 2004 or 2005. Have yet to have one fail because of the knot or melted ball on the end. Seen and heard of failures, but usually because of inexperience.
Most fail because a improperly tied knot. Others because of the ball too small. And others because cinching up the knot too loose.

Didn't Hutch have a video for d-loops?

Carl, are just using a d-loop by itself? No real problem, but the bottom knot should be spaced a bit below the arrow nock. This prevents nock pinch and gives a bit of downward pressure on the arrow to keep it in contact with the rest.

I use string tied nocks on the inside of my d-loop. This give a even ball nock instead the lopsidedness of the d-loop knot. And then should you replace the d-loop your nocking point is still there.

carl365
07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Been using a d-loop on my target bows since 2004 or 2005. Have yet to have one fail because of the knot or melted ball on the end. Seen and heard of failures, but usually because of inexperience.
Most fail because a improperly tied knot. Others because of the ball too small. And others because cinching up the knot too loose.

Didn't Hutch have a video for d-loops?

Carl, are just using a d-loop by itself? No real problem, but the bottom knot should be spaced a bit below the arrow nock. This prevents nock pinch and gives a bit of downward pressure on the arrow to keep it in contact with the rest.

I use string tied nocks on the inside of my d-loop. This give a even ball nock instead the lopsidedness of the d-loop knot. And then should you replace the d-loop your nocking point is still there.

Hi Sonny, your hand swelling gone down?
Yes, I have the same DLoop setup, two tied nocking points with the Dloop knots on the outside of the tied nocks. Works beautifully. I ordered some BCY #24 string. The string I'm using now, for some reason, doesn't melt into a good size mushroom.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi Sonny, your hand swelling gone down?
Yes, I have the same DLoop setup, two tied nocking points with the Dloop knots on the outside of the tied nocks. Works beautifully. I ordered some BCY #24 string. The string I'm using now, for some reason, doesn't melt into a good size mushroom.

Carl

Hand is doing well. Even shot some today.

BCY #24 is my perferred. Carry it with me and is also that I use for my Limb Driver arrow rests. Should you want something a bit stiffer, try Gibbs. Also, Gibbs comes in different camo colors. Gibbs is sometimes difficult to ball, but can be done with practice.

Someone made a mold for melting ends. Heat with torch good and hot and stick end in the mold. Perhaps a half BB size depression in steel? Little bit of time to heat up, but could be a uniform ball. Make up a few d-loops to have on hand. I have two in the ready should I need.

carl365
07-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Hand is doing well. Even shot some today.

BCY #24 is my perferred. Carry it with me and is also that I use for my Limb Driver arrow rests. Should you want something a bit stiffer, try Gibbs. Also, Gibbs comes in different camo colors. Gibbs is sometimes difficult to ball, but can be done with practice.

Someone made a mold for melting ends. Heat with torch good and hot and stick end in the mold. Perhaps a half BB size depression in steel? Little bit of time to heat up, but could be a uniform ball. Make up a few d-loops to have on hand. I have two in the ready should I need.

More good ideas! Thanks Sonny. I'm anxious to make some Dloops to keep on hand, I have plenty of scrap metal to make a Dloop mould. I was reading yesterday someone recommended using Epoxy to make the Dloop ends.

It's funny when I was shooting nothing but compounds back in the early 90's nobody used Dloops, just the release with the attached cord which is a lot slower to attach than the Dloop.

Watch out for those yellow jackets!

Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Okay, practice makes better. I can carry a lighter better than a Epoxy kit.

Material is material, but I had such d-loops made up. I installed the d-loop and within a few shots it stretched differently, longer. How much different? About the size of a melted ball, 1/8". Loosened the loop, pulled the end out, melted the ball back one ball's worth, and tried again. Perfect!

Shooting a thumb release and hinge I know the feel I want, index and middle fingers splitting the jaw bone and the index and middle finger hand knuckles riding up against the corner of my jaw. Just like all of archery, do everything the same way each and every time. So consistent hand position is part of doing everything the same way each and every time.