View Full Version : help with bow stringer

08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
So as you guys probably know I'm new to this and just got a new bow, and with it came a bow stringer. however it's not the one with the rubber part that goes on the upper limb mine has leather on both end's kinda like this one

is there a video on how to use this type? I'm almost 100% sure I'm doing it wrong :D

08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I got one like that with my Martin Diablo TD.
It was really hard to use. I severely twisted a limb with it, no permanent damage though. I ordered one with a closed pocket on one end and a rubber block at the other. Works much better.
If there is any advantage to the leather fold over thing, I can't imagine what it is. I know I don't like it.

08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Get a Selway or Limbsaver recurve bow stringer, I tried with the one that came with my Martins and gave up before I damaged them; paid too much to break them trying to get them strung.

01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Martin stringers rip very easily get a selway recurve stringer

Joe H
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
When I got a string and arrows for my newly purchased vintage recurve I was sold a bow stringer with a "friction" end. What a pain in the neck that was! I got a Mountain Man 2-cup stringer from Amazon for $16.68 that works GREAT. I see similar ones from Lancaster Archery...OMP at $12.99, and Cartel at $9.99. What purpose the "friction" ones fill is beyond me. One look at the leather ones was enough to nix that choice.