PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for fun

bfisher
08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I have to say I never thought I'd enjoy shooting a recurve this much. I've had my Diablo TD what, maybe 3 weeks now? I just shot number 2000 through it this evening. 400 shots in the last two days. And 30# limbs just allows me to shoot as long as I prefer.

Sonny Thomas
08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Great, Barry! Some of the best fun I've ever had was shooting with a recurve.

When as a youngster...more years back than I want think about...I had a Fred Bear 60" recurve, 40 poounds. Nothing was safe ;) Tin cans, hay bales, squirrels, rabbits, fish, ducks (yep, me tried that) and of course, deer.

Alas, I sold my last two recurves a couple years back, both Shakespears, target models, one 66" and one 72". Should have never sold them. :(

Spiker
08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Yep - still string mine up and shoot it just for fun.
Nice break from the compounds and sometimes is all it takes to shut down the dreaded TP when it rears its ugly head.

bfisher
08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Yep - still string mine up and shoot it just for fun.
Nice break from the compounds and sometimes is all it takes to shut down the dreaded TP when it rears its ugly head.

Good mention about TP. I've had a mild case of freezing for almost as long as I can remember. With the recurve and shooting pure instinctive it's not a problem. I've learned to point the bow draw to anchor, concentrate on the bullseye and let er rip. If I take too much time to think I pluck the string or miss, usually dropping low. I also am smart enough, or should I say experienced, to limit distance to 25 yards where I can manage about 6-7" groups. At 30 yards things get pretty iffy and at 40 almost embarrassing, but then it's hard to be embarrassed when it's just for fun.

wscywabbit
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't have a recure (yet), but my daughter does have a Mathews Genesis that is a hoot to shoot. For those of you that don't know, it is a compound built primarily for kids. There is no set draw length, so anyone can pick it up and shoot. I have it set up with a single pin and a nock loop for my daughter, but I can pick it up and shoot it instinctively with fingers and just have fun with it. I like to take turns with her or my neices/nephews when they try it and just have fun at 15-20 yards. :)

Stevtech
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I have had a bad time keeping strings. My bow is idle now as a wait for a new string. I wrote about it in Diablo 2013 thread.
What string are you using?

Sonny Thomas
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Soon as I get gooder I'll show you how it's done.... Shouldn't take long....
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/SonnyThomas/recurveaccuracy_zpseb976c3a.jpg

bfisher
08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I have had a bad time keeping strings. My bow is idle now as a wait for a new string. I wrote about it in Diablo 2013 thread.
What string are you using?

I'm using the stock Dacron string. I have rad a lot of posts about serving separation and such, but I haven't had that issue. I did have to add 30 twists to it to get the brace height correct and over the next week it stretched enough I had to add another 15 twists and the brace dropped from 7" to 6 1/2". I've had the bow approximately 3 1/2 weeks and, seriously, I've put something over 2000 shots through it. I just checked the brace yesterday and it seems to be holding.

I will also mention that I have always done my own bow repairs so have serving and jigs so if I should notice any problems with it I'll just reserve it. I might move up the ladder a bit with a fastflight string (D97?) when I feel a replacement need. The limb tips are reinforced, but don't feel a need to try to damage the limbs. As I've posted, the bow is just for fun, and I'm having a lot of that.

wscywabbit
08-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Soon as I get gooder I'll show you how it's done.... Shouldn't take long....
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/SonnyThomas/recurveaccuracy_zpseb976c3a.jpg

LOL That's funny right there! Good shooting Sonny! ;)

CaptJJ
08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Same here Barry, having tons of fun shooting my recurves after a 30 year break, feel like a kid again.:cool: Looks like my compounds will be sitting in the corner.

I upgraded to D-97 strings on my X-200 and Hunter and really like the difference, quieter and a bit more speed. You shouldn't have to worry about limb damage with reinforced tips.

WildWilt15
08-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Well i have been shooting my x200 for a couple months now and she is shooting a flemish strings and shooting great!(wish the shooter was a little better) i still have a lot of work to do before hunting season.

MarE6027
12-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Just for fun? Same here :). Waiting for my second hand Bronco. It's 30# at 24" so should be just right at 26" to start with. And it's only 48" long so I think 3 under would be a good start method. Ha, that's going to be like 50 years since I've done longbow shooting as a kid...seems closing the loop of my life :)

Stevtech
12-26-2013, 08:36 PM
I have found a string from extreme strings.com that is holding up well. They offered to repair a string but they told me the serving was hitting my arm. I quit shooting with an arm guard and hold my bow so that I don't hit my arm. Seems to be working better for the string and my shooting. I too have been having lots of fun with my diablo td. I am still in the process of getting a set of arrows tuned. I am shooting bare shafts a couple of inches to the right of the group. I ordered lighter tips.

Starflyer59
12-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I have a new Martin Saber Takedown and I want to start shooting 3D or just target shooting. I just won a 30" doinker stabilizer and I hope to use that on the saber. Any other recommendations for setting up the saber for target?

FishingandHuntingUSA
01-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I think with the Hunger Games coming out and becoming such a success the tradition bows are amking a huge come back

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Yep as a custom string builder I am getting a lot of recurve strings!

Hutch

NuttyNative
01-01-2014, 02:41 PM
I've got an old (70's I think) Root Archery recurve that I take out from time to time. Several of us took them to a 3d shoot once and had so much fun laughing at each other we totally forgot the time.

Joe H
02-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I got back into archery after 55 years (I'm now 72). Last Oct. I found a 1966 Shakespeare Trident X-25 30# recurve in a antique shop. A new string, arrows, and a Black Hole target and I'm back having fun on my 20 yd. backyard range. Two days ago I "won" a Martin X-100 20# on eBay for some of my grandkids to use (maybe my wife, too). Although the winter in PA has been very cold, I have been shooting most days. I found this site while researching Martin. Glad to have found it.

bfisher
02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I got back into archery after 55 years (I'm now 72). Last Oct. I found a 1966 Shakespeare Trident X-25 30# recurve in a antique shop. A new string, arrows, and a Black Hole target and I'm back having fun on my 20 yd. backyard range. Two days ago I "won" a Martin X-100 20# on eBay for some of my grandkids to use (maybe my wife, too). Although the winter in PA has been very cold, I have been shooting most days. I found this site while researching Martin. Glad to have found it.

And we're glad to have you. Especially a fellow Pennsylvanian.

Arrow Splitter
02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum Joe! The more the merrier.:cool:

A.S