PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Arrow rests

red5
08-24-2013, 06:51 PM
First of all I'm a newbie so bear with me,

I've noticed the most Martin Bows that I've seen have two holes in the riser for mounting a rest, along with the long horizontal hole. I just got a rest in the mail today (I not gonna say what brand to avoid controversy) but it doesn't have "Martin" holes like I thought it did. Does anyone know of some type of Martin "Mounting Bracket" or something to that effect?

typically8
08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Need a pic. Is it a long slot? You only need to use the hole closest to the string. Really need a pic/ more info. We don't care what brand you are using.

Arrow Splitter
08-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't know of a bracket made by Martin except there were certain arrow rests designed for Martin.

Just keep one thing in mind: You could be shooting another brand bow and we still wouldn't care.;)

TEN RING
08-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I think he is talking about the old horse shoe mounts that martin had:confused:

Arrow Splitter
08-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Yeah, my Jaguar has one of those.

A.S

red5
08-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Need a pic. Is it a long slot? You only need to use the hole closest to the string. Really need a pic/ more info. We don't care what brand you are using.
I can't get the pics to load so I'll do my best to describe whats going on.
I've got a Martin Jag. Takedown. I've already got a Whisker Biscuit on it but I want something that mounts a little more securely. It look like a few years ago Martin used to sell a Whisker Biscuit Lock mount. http://shopping.yahoo.com/710981424-martin-archery-whisker-biscuit-w-martin-lock-mount-for-ics-carbon/ I know this is gonna sound silly but the idea of using just ONE bolt to secure a something like a arrow rest seems kinda silly to me. Anyway, I got this Bodoodle thinking that it would mount similar to what that link looks like. When it finally got here in the mail I realize that the two vertical holes above and below the slot where the bolt goes aren't in the position to mount into the bow.

It's starting to look like the Fuse Archery Whisker Biscuit
http://www.fusearchery.com/rests/?id=whiskerbiscuit

and the NAP Quicktune 360 Capture Rest are some of the only rest that secure to a Martin Bow with more than one screw/bolt.

red5
08-24-2013, 09:57 PM

YEAH! Thats what I mean!!!!

typically8
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I see what you are saying. That is an odd mounting, most have a slot so you can move the rest in and out. One hole is sufficient though. I do like a nap 360.

red5
08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
I see what you are saying. That is an odd mounting, most have a slot so you can move the rest in and out. One hole is sufficient though. I do like a nap 360.

From what I've read a lot of people don't so I'm leaning towards the Fuse Whisker Biscuit. No way I'm going to Cabela's though......

Ehunter
08-25-2013, 06:51 PM
My 08 MOAB and Cheetah both have the horseshoe mounting style, but still have the berger holes between them. They'll accept any style of rest. I wonder why your bow doesn't have both sets of holes.......

bfisher
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
My 08 MOAB and Cheetah both have the horseshoe mounting style, but still have the berger holes between them. They'll accept any style of rest. I wonder why your bow doesn't have both sets of holes.......

Maybe because it's a recurve???? Seriously red, all you need is the one hole. That's all most compounds had for years and some still do. Once you tighten them down good they don't move. Personally, if shooting fingers I don't like any of the capture rests such as the Whisker Bisquit. A good, inexpensive finger rest would be the AAE Cavalier Free Flight or a Cartel Star Hunter. Maybe even a flipper and plunger configuration.

red5
08-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Maybe because it's a recurve???? Seriously red, all you need is the one hole. That's all most compounds had for years and some still do. Once you tighten them down good they don't move. Personally, if shooting fingers I don't like any of the capture rests such as the Whisker Bisquit. A good, inexpensive finger rest would be the AAE Cavalier Free Flight or a Cartel Star Hunter. Maybe even a flipper and plunger configuration.

I honestly don't know why so many people are against the WB. After practicing for a fews weeks I got my groups into 2 inch circle at 10 yards. The Bodoodle I bought is SUPPOSED to work with finger or release shooters but I just can't get over the idea of mounting the thing with just one bolt, sorry, looking at it from the eyes of a guy who likes math it just doesn't add up. Plus, I'm all about going against traditions to try something new. I think I'm just gonna get the Fuse WB. I found a site that sells them online for cheap. UNLESS........... I get that Martin Side Slot Nut. But I'd still have to wait for it to get here in the mail.

Sonny Thomas
08-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I honestly don't know why so many people are against the WB. After practicing for a fews weeks I got my groups into 2 inch circle at 10 yards. The Bodoodle I bought is SUPPOSED to work with finger or release shooters but I just can't get over the idea of mounting the thing with just one bolt, sorry, looking at it from the eyes of a guy who likes math it just doesn't add up. Plus, I'm all about going against traditions to try something new. I think I'm just gonna get the Fuse WB. I found a site that sells them online for cheap. UNLESS........... I get that Martin Side Slot Nut. But I'd still have to wait for it to get here in the mail.

You count as one. Now, figure there are some 3 million archers in the United States using one bolt to hold their arrow rests and then figure a bunch own more than one bow. bfisher probably has a couple ;) I've got 7. Now, figure we've never heard of any one using a Whisker Biscuit on a traditional bow....

Whisker Biscuits are a good hunting rest for compounds using a release and more a few thousand of us wouldn't have a Whisker Biscuit if they were giving them away by the truck loads. That's archery for you.

Someone was to put up a video link that show Archer's Paradox.

Definition of Archer's Paradox;
Flexing of the arrow on release. An arrow bends round the riser on release because the forces applied to the nock end of the arrow cause that end to accelerate faster than the front. Stiffer spined arrows flex less than those with a softer spine and are less affected by the paradox. The flexing is more pronounced with finger shooters and less so with those archers who use a release aid. It is also more pronounced with aluminium arrows than with carbons which tend to be stiffer spined. For a right handed archer using finger release, the curve of the fingers forces the bow string to the left on loose which in turn forces the arrow to fly slightly to the right. For this reason a pressure button is used to set up the bow with the arrow set slightly to the left of the centre shot position to compensate for this anomaly.

With the above definition the Whisker Biscuit is interferring with the natural Paradox all traditional type bows have when shot with fingers. Archer's Paradox is not held to traditional bows. Those who shoot compounds with fingers have the same Archer's Paradox.

Most compound bow shooters use like rests that traditional shooters use, flippers and the such and that of you mention, a Bodoodle. Naturally, I'm assuming the rest you purchased is the Timberdodoodle.

Of course, there is the internet where you can Find Bodoodle and contact them. Be it as it is Bodoodle is owned by another company as the originator of Bodoodle past away several years ago.

And of course, there ArcheryTalk and the Traditional Forum where you could get additional help and information.

red5
08-25-2013, 10:21 PM
No offense, I use Easton arrows that have a spin of 600 because I have short little T-Rex arms and my bow is only a 40lb draw.

Sonny Thomas
08-26-2013, 07:37 AM
No offense, I use Easton arrows that have a spin of 600 because I have short little T-Rex arms and my bow is only a 40lb draw.

??? Lost me. What's Easton arrows have to do with what the discussion is?