PDA

View Full Version : How is everyones hunting season going

TEN RING
10-27-2013, 08:19 AM
for me I have been seeing a lot of does, seen two nice buck no shot at a buck yet

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Haven't been out enough, but the trail cam is showing a lot of does.

Hutch

TEN RING
10-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I took this picture this week,

hawkdriver55
10-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I have had a rough year this year. I lost as many deer in 48 hours this year than I did in the 30 years prior. I lost 2 does in two days. One was a high hit and the other was right at the back of the rib cage low. I shot over the back of an eight ptr last weekend at 28 yards shooting up hill on the nonshooting side of the tree. 3 weeks ago on public land I had a doe walk within 20 yards and I had a good shot between two limbs. I didn't see a twig hanging out with no leafs on it. Deflected the arrow right over her back. Then with 15 minutes left before we had to leave a 4 ptr walked up and I got a clean shot and double lunged him. Its been a rough year but there is some meat in the freezer at least. 2 months left.

Chip
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Congrats on the four pointer, he will be a tasty addition to the freezer.

Chip
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
I filled my doe tag Oct.9th with my back up Threshold. Still working on the Buck tag, no shots yet.

MI1
10-31-2013, 06:16 AM
I have had a rough year this year. I lost as many deer in 48 hours this year than I did in the 30 years prior. I lost 2 does in two days. One was a high hit and the other was right at the back of the rib cage low. I shot over the back of an eight ptr last weekend at 28 yards shooting up hill on the nonshooting side of the tree. 3 weeks ago on public land I had a doe walk within 20 yards and I had a good shot between two limbs. I didn't see a twig hanging out with no leafs on it. Deflected the arrow right over her back. Then with 15 minutes left before we had to leave a 4 ptr walked up and I got a clean shot and double lunged him. Its been a rough year but there is some meat in the freezer at least. 2 months left.

great looking bow, nicely down hawkdriver55!

Lung Buster
10-31-2013, 02:34 PM
I killed this guy October 4th since then I have seen a lot of does and small bucks!!

8469 8470

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Congrats!!! LB!

Hutch:cool:

Chip
10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Congrats guys, nice job.

Ehunter
10-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Have only seen 2 does so far this season, but have seen a good number of bucks. Most are small guys, but 3 are pretty decent. Just waiting for one of them to walk in the wrong spot at the right time. lol

wscywabbit
10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
I hunted close to home this season, only got one shot off. For any of you that have hunted the forests (jungles lol) of western Washington or Oregon, you'll know what I'm talking about. After 15-20 minutes of stalking a doe and making sure she didn't have fawns, I lost sight of her. I walked up to where I had seen her last and she popped back out to the side and behind me, curious as all get out. I didn't have time to range, and took the shot on a guesstimate, full broadside. She was closer than I thought, by 12 yards and the shot was high, right behind the shoulder under the spine. I waited 30 minutes, (probably should have waited longer) and went to find the blood trail. The arrow was right behind where she stood all bloody, but no blood trail. Took me 45 minutes or so pick up her trail, all hip high ferns, shoulder high huckleberry bushes and buck brush. Finally got a good trail and the skies opened up and poured down on me. After I lost the blood trail, I hiked back to the truck and went to get help. A buddy of mine came back with me and we scoured the forest for her, to no avail. All said, I shot her at about 10 am, and I got home about 8 pm soaken wet and disheartened. I didn't get close enough to another deer for a shot the rest of the season. Late season is coming up in a few weeks, I'll see what I can stir up then....

TEN RING
10-31-2013, 07:42 PM
nice job

Rockyhud
11-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I had a mixed bag of results for my elk and bear hunt. I got an OTC with caps bear tag for GMU 43 in Colorado along with an OTC either sex elk tag. Weather didn't play nicely during the 4-5 days I was there; rained hard several days and nights along with lots of lightning making it not a good idea to be out in the woods. I also didn't see ANY animals and none in other hunter's camps either. After that I called a buddy in Pagosa Springs to see how his hunt was going. He was seeing a few, mostly spikes and one 5x5, and welcomed me to come hunt with him, so I did.

First day out I called in a rag-horn bull that wasn't quite legal and actually called him in twice within a 10 minute period. First time he came in to 30 yards, totally quiet, and I wasn't quite ready and didn't have my bow in hand or an arrow nocked. Since he wasn't legal I decided to see how much movement I could get away with. Even though he had a clear visual shot to me I made slow enough moves to get my bow up and arrow nocked and drawn and had my sight pin on him just as he was turning to leave (after 2-3 minutes of trying to figure out where the cows were from my calling). If he had been legal I would have easily slipped an arrow into him quartering away. I started calling again and he came back in to a slightly different vantage point but still about 30 yards distant. BTW, I firmly believe one of the reasons I was able to get away with as much movement as I did was due to my ASAT 3D leafy suit. That bull stared at me directly several times and never really appeared to discern what I was and that I posed any sort of threat. He just got antsy because he couldn't see any cows that he expected to be there.

A few days later my buddy and I were in another area and spotted a very nice cinnamon color phase black bear that we were able to sneak up to within 46 yards and watch as he fed. We tried to get photos and my camera decided it needed more light so my flash went off. He was caught completely by surprise and stared up at us like a kid who had gotten caught with his hand in the coolie jar. After he collected his wits and finally made us he ran across the clearing and stopped about 100 yards away to look back to see if we were giving chase or not. Had either of us had a bear tag for that game unit one of us would likely have gotten an arrow into him. Even so, it was great fun to watch him and knowing he had no clue we were there (the wind was absolutely perfect at the time).

Even though I came home empty handed it was a fun end to the hunt with good memories. I just wish I had more time I could take off work to try getting a late season deer tag, but alas, that's not happening this year. Here's hoping everyone has a good hunt.

Mike G
11-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I've had a great season! I had finally drawn my bear tag here in Wisconsin for the southern zone. It took me 2 sits to fill my tag. Then a week later the Archery Deer season opened and I took my buck on the fourth day. Since then I've only been out about a half dozen times hunting for a doe, but haven't had one close and have been seeing mostly small bucks. I hunt public land and am not a big horn hunter, don't get me wrong, if I can find a big buck before the season, I'll go after him. My buck this year is a fork horn, but the first deer with my new Martin Cougar FC and my bear weighed about 200lbs.85228523

TEN RING
11-08-2013, 08:02 AM
congrats mike nice shooting

Sonny Thomas
11-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Congrats on both!!!!!

WildWilt15
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
My season has been full of luck and not the good kind. I'm 0-2 (2misses)both user error even though I wish I could blame the equipment.. lol

Mike G
11-08-2013, 09:25 AM
I have had seasons like that!!!! Step back, do some good target shooting, gain back your shooting confidence and finish the job! Good luck Wilt.

Rockyhud
11-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Congrats Mike G. I take it you were ground hunting when you took your bear, based on the photo, and pretty close too. I bet that was exciting. He'll make a nice rug and the meat should be quite good too. Several years back I had bear that had been slow cooked and was very impressed by its flavor, texture and tenderness. I've also read and heard mtn lion meat is quite tasty.

Chip
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Well I shot a ten point with the Nemesis this morning I do have a picture, but my photo person did not realize the camera was on manual focus. I will go ahead and post it you can see he is taller and not very wide. He was hot on a doe, I had to yell at him three times to get him to stop.

Mike G
11-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Congrats Mike G. I take it you were ground hunting when you took your bear, based on the photo, and pretty close too. I bet that was exciting. He'll make a nice rug and the meat should be quite good too. Several years back I had bear that had been slow cooked and was very impressed by its flavor, texture and tenderness. I've also read and heard mtn lion meat is quite tasty.

Rocky, the picture was taken with the trailcam. I was actually about 16 feet up a tree about 20 yards to the left of the bear. In this picture he is headed right towards my tree. The trailcam took this picture at 8:13am, I wasn't on stand. I went out at 1:00pm put my climber on the tree, looked over towards my bait and could see that nothing had disturbed the logs covering the bait, so I climbed up. The bear circled around behind me and came out behind me at about 15 yards, then turned to his right and started walking to get down wind more of the bait, stood up on his hind legs and sniffed around. I could tell he smelled me, so as soon as he dropped to all fours I took him, it was 5:30pm. I was hunting with a shotgun loaded with a slug. I would not have been able to get a shot at him with my bow where he was. A 12ga. slug pokes through light brush pretty good. He dropped and pulled himself into the willows back of where I shot him. I waited until 7:00pm got down and went to the spot I had shot him, had good blood going into willows, as soon as I got into the willows there he was, but not dead. He lifted his head and turned towards me popping his jaws, that's how that bloody hole happened below his left eye!!! He was 15 feet from me.

The meat tastes great!!! The steaks and hamburger.

wscywabbit
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Great story Mike and good job!

Jake-the-snake
11-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Ive been lucky to fill my tags this year in Wisconsin, If I had some pictures on the Computer I would post them, but unfortuneatly I do not.

I shot a decent 8 pointer opening evening of bow season, 13 yards broadside and I pinned his shoulders, then on my last chance for bowhunting this season, I shot a doe, 25 yards. A little far back, but I was lucky and hit the Aorta artery. She turned towards me right as I shot and the arrow exited out her hindquarter, neither deer made it 60 yards, and I shoot Magnus Buzzcuts at 58# with a 340 grain arrow out of a '04 SlayR

My brother shot a goofy looking 8 point last weekend, I was luckky enough to be sitting with him on this hunt. It was snowing out for a little bit, and then the 8 point walked out about 15 minutes after the snow stopped, gave my brother a perfect 20 yards broadside shot, and he drilled him. he uses a 2012 Rytera Alien X with the solocam.

My old man shot a doe opening evening as well, 10 yards, broadside, and drilled her in the heart, she didnt go anywhere. he uses a 2007 Martin Bengal

wscywabbit
11-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Nicely done Jake.

typically8
11-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I killed a rock.8578
missed a 9.

Ehunter
11-19-2013, 04:49 AM
T8, that's gonna take a while in the crock pot to get tender. lol So far, nothing on the ground for me this year. The girlfriend and I have had 2 shot opportunities, but blew both of them. She messed one of them up, and I messed the other up for her. All our hunting land turned from crop/woods into cattle pasture/woods this year. The deer seem to be hanging out on the neighboring property that is still crop based. Thankfully, Kansas has a long bow season. Still got 1 1/2 months of season left.

Chip
11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Congrats Jake nice season.

johnestmon
07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Not bad. Seen a fair amount of deer and killed one doe so far.