PDA

View Full Version : What I Love About Archery--Natalie Halterman

bfisher
11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Fellows, I'd like to introduce you to Natalie Halterman, a 10 yr old that I've been coaching a little less than 1 year. Her first indoor league Vegas round ended with a score of 265. She has, with my guidance, improved to where her average score is now around 510. However, this isn't about me. It's about her. She is so easy to teach and I just adore her like my own grandkids. Recently I rewarded her with new threads on her Razor Edge, compliments of our own Bill Hutcheson (Bowstring Depot). Pink & Purple. I believe the smile on her face says it all. Second pic is her best, but not last best shooting results. Thankyou Hutch.

So this is primarily what archery has evolved into for me. Nat gives me purpose, a reason to keep on breathing. She brings joy to my life.

Double S
11-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Very nice shooting Natalie.! Props to you Barry for teaching and passing on a great sport.

Sonny Thomas
11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Know how you feel, Barry. Keep up the great work....

wscywabbit
11-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Great job Natalie! Kudos Barry that's neat!

Arrow Splitter
11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Now that's some great shooting! Congrats Natalie and Barry.

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Sweet!
Life in archery always has a great purpose thanks for taking the time Barry!! and Congrats to Natalie!!

Hutch

bfisher
11-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Appreciate the comments, but putting things in perspective "I couldn't uh done it without the little munchkin, LOL.

hawkdriver55
12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
The next best thing to shooting archery equipment..........teaching someone else how to shoot archery equipment!!!! Well done.

TEN RING
12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
great job doesn't that make you all warm and fuzz inside

bfisher
12-09-2013, 06:26 AM
great job doesn't that make you all warm and fuzz inside

In two words? You bet.

CLT Bluesman
02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Man, that's great Barry. I am sure there is a lot of pride in her, thanks to you!! Is there anyway I can get you down here to NC to teach my Grandson? I might have to bring him up to you for a weekend. All kidding aside, there is no greater joy than passing the sport on to the younguns!

bfisher
02-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Man, that's great Barry. I am sure there is a lot of pride in her, thanks to you!! Is there anyway I can get you down here to NC to teach my Grandson? I might have to bring him up to you for a weekend. All kidding aside, there is no greater joy than passing the sport on to the younguns!

To tell the truth she is my pride and joy. I do my best to help a lot of kids, but she is the standout. She just enjoys shooting and has a desire to excel. The sad part for me is that she can outshoot me. Of course my mental game isn't what it once was as I get more concerned with how well she does and it distracts from my shooting, but that's OK. Archery is a sport many can enjoy and it isn't about me any more. It's bigger than that. Presently she is shooting about 10-15 points higher (Vegas round) than the record set last year by another girl in her class. I'm bugging her to shoot the state indoor championship this year. Who knows? I might be coaching a new state champion.

bfisher
02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
This girl is truely an amazement to me. After finishing the indoor season last year with a 475 Vegas round I figured she'd knuckle down and be shooting about 520-530 by the end this year (end of March). The little munchkin just shot a personal best Wednesday evening with a 552, a full 25 points above the state record for her class last year (527). She's beating half the adult males shooting open or unlimited in the league. She'll be 11 April 8th.

Sonny Thomas
02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Great for the kid, Barry, but keep her over there with you ;)

Still, I can't get along with that Vegas face. Best I ever did was 575. Our state had the Vegas face event a 60 arrow event every time, 30 on the lower line and 30 on the upper line. Go to Vegas and you shoot 30 each day for 3 days. I probably couldn't handle that either...No, I know I couldn't handle that either.

Arrow Splitter
02-22-2014, 08:09 AM
This girl is truely an amazement to me. After finishing the indoor season last year with a 475 Vegas round I figured she'd knuckle down and be shooting about 520-530 by the end this year (end of March). The little munchkin just shot a personal best Wednesday evening with a 552, a full 25 points above the state record for her class last year (527). She's beating half the adult males shooting open or unlimited in the league. She'll be 11 April 8th.
Wow. Now that's some good shootin'.

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Good coach and a good listener= Good job!! Way to go girl!! good job Barry.

Hutch

bfisher
02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks Bill. I keep telling her every once in a while that she doesn't need me much any more, but she really goes off when I say that. I guess she still needs me if for no other reason to keep reminding her of the things I've taught her. I stand right behind her at the shooting line and whisper things to her (aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow---focus focus focus, or follow thru). Little things to keep reinforcing her mental game. Afterall, as I keep telling her, once you draw and anchor all the rest is between the ears.

I've begun working her harder, blind baling for 30 minutes as part of our practice sessions. Again, just to improve little things like her release and mental game.

Lung Buster
02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Wow Barry that is awesome!!! Congrats to you both!!

bfisher
03-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I just had to dig this out of the archives to update anybody interested. For anybody who has shot a Vegas round (600), Natalie, my 10 yr. old student just posted a league score of 563 in Cadet/Female, BH-Unl this past Sunday. For Anybody who shoots or has shot this venue you'll understand just how significant such a score is. One more league shoot to go and then it's the PSAA indoor championship where she just might be state champion and blow the old record of 527 out of the water. Think about it. She's 10 years old and been shooting about 1 1/2 years. I am proud to be her coach. She makes me look better than I am.

CLT Bluesman
03-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't know about Vegas Round or any competitive shooting, but from the score out of a possible 600, that is great, and even more amazing is her age. Could she be in the Olympics some day? Does she do that type of shooting?

bfisher
03-18-2014, 09:17 PM
I doubt that the Olympics are in her future, but there are other things, like college scholarships and maybe even a Pro career someday. That's all up to her. Right now she shows the desire so who knows. If she does win states I'm thinking of talking to some people about sponsorships of some form. She's already been promised a new bow if she wins. One step at a time.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Barry,
You got to be doing something right. They don't learn on their own!!! You teach well and she listens well. That's a great combo to have. Congrats to her and you!!

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Barry, have you shown her a field course yet? She may like the distance shots, Olympians get their beginings some where. :)

bfisher
03-20-2014, 11:58 AM
No field shooting as of yet. A few local 3D shoots last summer just for fun where the max she has to shoot is 25 yards. Her bow only shoots about 180 fps and she has a slider sight so long distance is out of the question. Most she could get right now is probably about 40 yards. We'll probably try some different things this summer. Right now the focus is on the indoor championship. After that, hopefully a new bow and weather change and we'll get outdoors where the real fun is at. One step at a time.

bfisher
04-07-2014, 06:20 AM
LATEST NEWS.............from a proud coach.

April 5th and 6th, 2014

PSAA State Indoor Championship Shoot

Natalie Halterman............Female/Cadet/BH Unlimited......2nd Place

Day 1......529...........beat previous state record by 2 points
Day 2......540...........beat previous state record by 13 points

Congratulations to my best student ever for this great accomplishment, and for putting up with my harping for the last 14 months. Next year we go for the Gold.

Coach Barry

GB3YO
04-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Good job Barry way to get someone in the sport that will now be hooked for life and she will pass it on thats awesome

elkslayer4x5
04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Congratulations Natalie! Great job Coach! :)

Arrow Splitter
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Tell your student that she did a phenomenal job, and you didn't do too bad yourself Coach. ;)

A.S

bfisher
04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Just got home from a practice session with Nat. Had a talk with her mother and if everything goes as I'm hoping I'm taking her to the NFAA Indoor Championship next March in Kentucky. Tonight was her first go at the NFAA 5 spot target and she posted a 299 out of 300. Like an idiot I didn't get a final count of the X's, but it was decent and the score alone points toward good things to come.

For now with the weather getting better it's time to move this girl outside and see about getting her ready for the PSAA outdoor target championship coming toward the end of June. There she'll have to shoot out to 45 yards, a distance we've never tried yet. She always feels skeptical about shooting longer distances, but I tell her "You shoot it the same as 20 yards. Just move the sight to a different setting, aim the bow, and execute the shot."

CLT Bluesman
04-09-2014, 10:46 PM
We are all rooting for you Natalie!!! Keep us posted.