PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm

bfisher
12-09-2013, 06:23 AM
So how are most folks making out with this latest storm? Here in central Pa. we only got about 1" of snow. Overnite it turned to freezing rain and is supposed to turn to light rain later in the morning. School delayed 2 hours. State and locals got a jump on the roads salting so the roads aren't bad from what I can tell. Overall not too bad although I'm sure there will be some idiot drivers going to work in a hurry and causing accidents. How the rest of you guys making out?

Barry

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-09-2013, 06:54 AM
It just started up in NH. Going hunting with the daughter, but staying close to home.

Hutch

GB3YO
12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
been in the house temps have been -10 to 0 degrees all week to cold for me have moved some stands with a friend and done some scoutin but no sittn on stand gonna get out there this week temps climbn to 30s can handle that

Double S
12-09-2013, 11:01 AM
We haven't had much snow where I live. It's a little warmer as I live down near a river. But it's been -1 degree for the last few evenings. The warm up starts today. It's 16 degree's right now. Soon the rain and snow will be here.

bfisher
12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Simon, although it doesn't usually get that cold here I can relate somewhat. When it's in the single digits for any length of time temperatures around 20 can seem like a heat wave.

We got lucky here. The freezing rain stopped early this morning and things got icy. Not bad and by afternoon the roads were pretty bare. There were some massive pileups on some Pa. highways. One involved about 60 vehicles. People drive stupid. Drive too fast and certainly follow too closely--always. 100 miles east of me around Philadelphia they got about 8" of snow and it looks like there's another storm on the horizon. Looks like this one should pass south of here, too. Sometimes I wish I were a ground hog or bear---just hibernate for the winter.

Mike G
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM
We've been pretty cold for this time of year lately. Yesterday it got up to the high teens and snowed. We only got about 3 inches of snow, but today the temps started at about 10 degrees, warmed to 16 degrees then started dropping, 12 now. The winds have been what's really killing me, 20mph winds again today. They say all week the winds are going to be blowing hard. Wednesday high temp expected at 5 degrees with 15 to 20 mph winds. The weatherman said expect below normal temperatures until further notice!!!! I think normal highs this time of year should be in the low 30's. We might get into the 20's next week.

I love Wisconsin !!!! LOL

Mike

Sonny Thomas
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Right up to the big change we were having 50 degree whether. I was outside with a light jacket and then bang, 10 degrees the next morning and has been for the 4 or 5 days now. Got just skiff of snow....grass still showing.

Arrow Splitter
12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Not much snow here, it has been a freezing rain/drizzle for the past few hours.:cool: The drive home from work at 4:40 was slick, and there was one accident on my usually 30min. ride home.

I wouldn't want to be the guy at work that still has summer tires on his car.:eek:

xt_21
12-10-2013, 12:49 AM
ipu

elkslayer4x5
12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Last Friday, we had 7-8 inches of snow. Normally, we get 1-2 inches a few times a year, not this time, temps have been in the single digits since the snowfall, so now we have packed snow/ice covering all the city streets. Finally starting to warm up, temps in the teens when I got up this morning. Barry is right, , lots of accidents, because of people driving stupid. And half of them still running summer tires. Go figure!

Ehunter
12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Been below freezing here in Kansas for the last week or so. Got about 3 inches of snow total. Lows in the single digits or low teens. Today finally hit a high of 32! Tomorrow, high of 30 again. Then snow/ice mix moving back in for Friday. We're running about 15-20 degrees below our normal temps. Got the deer hunkered down too. Sat out in the snowfall for 3 hours last night, and never saw a thing. Gonna give it a try again in the morning. Didn't someone say something about global warming not long ago? lol

Sonny Thomas
12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Dec 13, 2013. Friday the 13th. How about that? It started Friday evening. I shoved snow around 11:00 pm. This is Saturday morning, 8:00 am. As much snow as I shoveled last night. So 5 or 6 inches and still coming, just real fine stuff though.

Mike G
12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Sonny, we were on the very northern reaches of that storm last night. We got another 2 or 3 inches between last night and this morning. Then it turned partly sunny. Seems as soon as the temperature gets up into the teens and struggles to the 20's we get more snow this year.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-14-2013, 03:44 PM
We had to get our blind in the storm that is coming tonight would have been a little to much for the blind.

Hutch

bfisher
12-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Just started snowing here about 2 hours ago. It looks heavy, but we're only supposed to get about 3" by 8pm. Then change to rain and freezing rain overnite. I think I'll hibernate for the rest of the winter. Temps in the mid 20's.

Oh, as for the mention of global warming? It may just be another Al Gore scare tactic, but consider that most of the USA was once covered by 1000' of ice and snow so many millions of years ago. The ice slowly melted and receded into what we call the Arctic. It's been melting for several million years so who is to say that this "global warming" isn't just a continuation of history.

Sonny Thomas
12-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Lord! Ain't good... Pretty sometimes though. Took these through the kitchen window, screen and window. The Wind Mill I took out the back door.
One of the corner of the front deck, you can just see my target butt. Mmmm.... Could shoot through the kitchen window and make the wife go get my arrows ;)

Plowed snow until I dropped. Came in, ate, and passed out for 2 1/2 hours. Man! When the blade on the ATV catches hold of something! Slam! Bam! and dang near over the handle bars. Good ole ATV. 1998 Kawaski. Broke down and finally put a new spark plug in it just this last summer. Walked into Jett's Kawaski and asked for a spark plug. Asked if it didn't fall under warranty ;) Gary, retired now and letting his kids run the place, said; "Sonny, you're killin' me, Just killin' me."

Mike G
12-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Ok ... December 22nd and this is the first what I would call big winter snow storm for my area. I live in the GreenBay, Wisconsin area and it started snowing very early this morning and it's still coming down. Forecasts have it between 5 to 7 inches by the end. It looks like we already have about 4 inches.

bfisher
12-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Just came home from our first Winter League 3D shoot this year. I think it has to be the only one that I remember sweating. About 60 degrees. All the snow has disappeared in just two days. Now it's mud we have to deal with. Supposed to be in the low 30's tomorrow.

Arrow Splitter
12-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Anybody want some freezing rain? :cool: I don't know how much we've gotten, but we could get more.

A.S

Sonny Thomas
12-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Pass on the freezing rain. We just got it and with a just a touch of snow on top to make it all the more....rotten. Iced in, we may not even get out for Christmas. And the weather forecast is calling wind chills in the double digits....

Arrow Splitter
12-23-2013, 04:10 AM
The cars had a sheet of ice on them this morning. Roads should be great.:eek:

A.S

TEN RING
12-23-2013, 03:08 PM
all rain for the last tree day here

Arrow Splitter
12-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, my road ended up being the only bad one that I was on. Traction was probably less than 40% for most of the ride on it.:cool:

A.S

Sonny Thomas
12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Made it out. Mercy. As usual our road commissioner never cinder the hill for getting out of Proverty Valley. Yeah, a good 300 yards up hill with a curve and steeper grade right at the top. One big, long sheet of ice. There's something of a straight away to get a run at the hill and I had my trusty 1994 front wheel drive Olds Cutless doing it's best. I had just replaced the 20 year old tires with news (spoiling my little car). Evidently the new tires and front wheel drive combined to get us up and out with hardly any wheel spin. Looking the rear view mirror gave the same long sheet of ice. Years back with the road much like today I had my 4X4 Chevy. It wouldn't go up this hill. I ended up straddling the edge of the gravel road and in the ditch to claw out of Proverty Valley. It was no joy ride.
My old 1994 Olds. The Cutless has just over 45,000 miles on it. Yeah coming on 20 years. Most of it's life was spent in a garage. My trucks and the wife's trucks were used for about everything. Anyway I got the Olds out due my truck drowning in the early spring flood. The tires of the Olds, still looking good (Gold Seals), were breaking down inside. You could feel wobble and thumps. The wobble would straight out going around a corner or faster taken curve. Guess what? 14" tires are a thing of the past. I had to special order tires for the Olds. About $350 for a set.

Anyway, I got out and did some shopping; feed for the wife's chickens, wild bird food (dang stuff cost more than chicken chow), bread and whatever and got a another Xmas present for the wife. Now, I'll just turn up the heat and weather out Christmas. Supposed to have a heat wave, about 30 degrees Christmas. Tonight, wind chills of 25 below.

Sonny Thomas
12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Whatever the Christmas is wrong with this site or it and my computer not getting along, I still can't start a Post.

So, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope all is well with all. God Bless....

Sonny Thomas
12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, we had a warm up. Hit almost 50, sunshine, nice and all... Sunday night it's to bottom out at zero....

Don B
12-29-2013, 10:00 AM
It's been real nasty weather here, down into the 70's, I almost had to wear long pants.
Windy today so I am not going out to the range. Been out everyday shooting field and hunter rounds.
Going to go see Hunger Games Catching Fire today.
Oh I am 58 today too.....old as dirt.....LOL
Don.

bfisher
12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
It's been real nasty weather here, down into the 70's, I almost had to wear long pants.
Windy today so I am not going out to the range. Been out everyday shooting field and hunter rounds.
Don.

Happy birthday Don. You're just a youngster. As for the weather? You are so.....so......so.... Just had to rub it in didn't you? LOL.

Sonny Thomas
12-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Don.

SPAM!!!!

58! When I was 58 I was stompin' King Kong and Godzilla the same Saturday afternoon. Older now, I stomp one on Saturday and one Sunday.... whichever whimp will show up...

Sonny Thomas
01-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Mercy! Another 3" last night and 10 above this morning. Wasn't for feeding the birds and dogs I wouldn't have left the house. I can normally handle cold weather, but not this morning. My finger tips were burning by the time I got back in. I mean, those who have been on here for a while know I don't put boots for hunting unless the snow is well over my shoes. Haven't wore a pair of heavy gloves in I don't know how long....

bfisher
01-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep, it just started here about an hour ago, Sonny. Comin down good. Believe they're calling for 4-8" overnight. Saturday was pretty nice, but it got cold again. I ain't liking it much. Our club put a new (Used) gas blower in but it has a natural gas nozzle and we're on propane so it isn't operational yet. Been up for over 2 months now---what are they waiting for?
Was practicing last night (almost every night really) and the wood stove finally got the temp up to 51 degrees after 4 hours. Time to go home before it was warm enough to take my coat off. They better get on the stick. We have a scheduled league shoot in a couple weeks.

Plainsman
01-03-2014, 08:33 AM
It's balmy in East Texas. Mid 20's.

Sonny Thomas
01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
2 above zero as I type this. Wanna' know my attitude?

WildWilt15
01-03-2014, 10:10 AM
truck said -11 today on my way to work.:eek:

TEN RING
01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
brrrrrr

bfisher
01-03-2014, 10:43 AM
2 above zero as I type this. Wanna' know my attitude?

Already know the attitude. It's called "hibernate". We ended up with 4" here last night. Now th winds are blowing causing some drifting, but not bad. Sure glad I checked out the snowblower yesterday. Carburator needed cleaned out and new gas as I haven't used it in two years. It got a workout this morning. I live in a development surrounded by people not as affluent or healthy as myself. Cleaned off my place and 4 others around me. The wind beat the heck out of my hands. I won't even venture a guess on the wind chill, but bad.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! now that's over its time to head for 20 below 0

Hutch

Mike G
01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
My car said -14 on the way to work today. Tomorrow it is suppose to be near +30 for a high, by game time on Sunday; Packers/SF49ers it is suppose to be a balmy +4 degrees.... and then it's suppose to get COLD!!!! Predicted highs for us on Monday is -12 with 15 to 25mph winds !!!!!!

Yup .... I think winter is here!!!!

Like I've said before, I love Wisconsin. Not real crazy about our winters though ......

Mike

Arrow Splitter
01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
We're now at -1, and predicted to go down to -11. Time to put on the shorts.....

A.S

Sonny Thomas
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! now that's over its time to head for 20 below 0

Hutch

Where's the Mods when you need them? Profanity like this running rampant....

Forecast called for a couple of inches. This morning I had to open the door and start shoveling to get down the steps!!!
Stupid Chawawa looked like them cartoons. Like you see this white bump in the snow zooming around. Yeah, she finally wanted in after about a minute and I had reach down in the snow to pick her up cause she couldn't find the steps....
I shooting a bit yesterday and now my target butt looks like a snow drift...

TEN RING
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
:o I said a four letter word!! Snow!! oops!!

Hutch

Sonny Thomas
01-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Just got in and a thawing out. The ole ATV is just great. Plowed around the house so we could move about feeding the birds, and feed and water the chickens and dogs. Plowed out the drive real good, but wind a howling I had to hit the sides of the drive because of drifting. Said White Out conditions. Road Patrol hasn't been through yet and I ain't all thrilled about plowing snow a bit over a mile to the highway.
Came in and all my clothing was snow, snow white ;) Yeah, snow just plastered on me.
Still snowing, I think, can't tell with the wind blowin' snow all over.
And the really bad news, winds to pick up! Tonight, calling for -14 to -17 and wind chill factor of 45 below....

Plainsman
01-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Man if you arrowed a deer it would get freezer burn before you got to it. Not that I would be hunting in that.

Sonny Thomas
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Morning...and just morning. There ain't no good about. 10:15 am and it's -12 degrees and may get up to -8 degrees by 3:00 pm. Airport just gave a wind chill of -31 degrees. I ain't going out unless the house catches fire...and it better be pretty hot before I hit the door..... Wife filled the dog houses with new straw last evening and ain't the best you can see them is if they stick their nose out the door to see when we called to them. They gave the look of; Are you crazy? I ain't coming out."

Mike G
01-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I left for work this morning at 4:15am, it was -12 when I left the house. I work about 25 miles away, by the time I got to work it was -15. At 9:30am it was down to -17 and at noon it was -18. I live north of work and on my drive home it steadily got warmer .... all the way up to -14.

The actual air temp isn't the bad part ... the winds are howling about 25mph.

Our dogs get to stay in the house all day, but they want to go outside. I can't believe the two big ones go out and play in this weather. After about a half hour my wife calls to them to come in and they stand and look at her like they are asking, "Why do we have to come in?"

Mike

Sonny Thomas
01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Our not quite year old Lab is that way. She won't bother the wife too much, but if I go outside she's right at my side and 99.99999999% she wants petted or hugged. And just a bit go, same thing and the wind chill is terrible.

Sonny Thomas
01-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Never gave thought when I parked my old Olds, right out in the open and going on 3 days of below zero and wind chills down to -41, -25 and now 3 above with wind chill of -16. The ole girl went rrrrrrr.... Groan, oh yeah. Broke the ice loose to get the hood up and got a drop cord....got the drop to cord to /\/\/\/\/\/\/\__to the Olds ;) Turned the charger on and went back in the house. It's cold out there! Couple hours later my lil ole Olds fires up. Has a electric de-icer rear glass, turned that on. Got the heater on high to thaw the ice on the windshield.
Now, if the wife had stocked up on candy bars I wouldn't have to make a trip to the store. Yeah, she's addicted to chocolate....

Mike G
01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Good one Sonny!!!!

I work with some kind of strange ducks at work. The one old guy, and I mean old...(73 and he doesn't want to retire, been with the company for 51yrs), has 3 cars, an old Chevy that he usually drives to work, a Mercedes Benz, and a Corvette with a super charger and inter-cooler. After 3 days of below zero weather and wind chills of -50, only one of his cars would start. You guessed it; he drove that corvette into work today. I couldn't believe it. Then after work today.... and it got up to -4 today with the wind chills at about -12, (heat wave), I didn't think that vette would start. But it did, it fired right up no problem.

Sonny Thomas
01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
BREAK! Our January thaw has come. Snow melting like crazy there are just spots here and there and where snow was piled up from plowing and snow removal. Creeks and streams have swollen and flood warnings have been issued. 40 degrees and more. Dang nice after below zero for 56 hours straight and wind chills staying longer for below zero.
Got to practice once. Had to wear knew boots for the water and mud. Down side was contending with the wind. To see your arrow on a head on collision with the bull's eye or X ring and and then whip off just feet from the target makes you go; &^%$$#@ But it was fun just getting out to fling arrows.....

Sonny Thomas
01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Lord! Started to snow, just barely for a few minutes and then the sky fell. Giant snow flakes galore. I was able to take a few pictures and then it quit snowing altogether....

HuntingHutchet
01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
We had the same thing here. It went below zero degrees, we got loaded down with snow, then a week later it poured rain for two days. This weather is weird.

Sonny Thomas
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
We just had our January thaw....The snow damned darn all gone. Running here and there all day to clear the way for tomorrow, we were to go the shop and have us a shootin' session. So the wife had some grub and I got warm and sleepy. So I laid down for a hour. Barry knows what I mean, us Jedi gathering the Force. I wake up, 10:14 pm, and the wife says; "Look outdoors." GRAHHHHHHH!!!! Yeah, that _____, Mother Nature! Those tracks from the cart past the dog house, me looking for that _____ Mexican rug rat.... Flashlight dying, I find her curled up in the Igloo dog house another 25 yards up. Figure she's maybe 8" tall and thinks she's big enough to stay outside like our yard dogs. Our worst fear, some danged owl or yote snatching her up...We got rabbits bigger than her.....

bfisher
01-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Got up this morning and ready to go drive school bus. Got a call that said school was canceled. Looked outside and it's just starting to snow. We're supposed to get 3-6". Good that school was canceled. We'd have taken them in and turned around an hour later for early dismissal anyway. Now it's 10:30 and getting pretty ugly. School district made a good call. Think I'll hibernate for the rest of the day.

Sonny Thomas
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Just in from plowing. Went pretty good as the snow is fluffy though deep. But I hooked the blade on something and that brought the ATV to a big stop and aggrevated my "wandering disc." So a good part of the day working it back in.
Crap! They're calling for more snow and some Alberta clipper thing - like in it's gonna get dang cold.

wscywabbit
01-21-2014, 02:59 PM
yep I heard you guys are in for another set of storms... Thank God for Global Warming! ;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
I am so tired of winter!!!!:(

Hutch

NuttyNative
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
New hobby for you guy's with all the snow.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/1620619_10153761392965301_2008064398_n_zps042cf130 .jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/Nuttynative/media/1620619_10153761392965301_2008064398_n_zps042cf130 .jpg.html)

wscywabbit
01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
:D That's awesome! Did you do that NN?!

NuttyNative
01-22-2014, 12:19 AM
No, it only snowed twice this year here and it melted real fast. Swiped it off facebook.

Double S
01-22-2014, 12:43 AM
We just came out of an 9 hr blackout. I sat the genie up and the carb was stuck and was blowing gas out the side again. Drove 45 miles, two towns over to the small engine repair. He was getting ready to close up in an hour but he would tear it down really quick to see if the float was stuck. He knew we were in a black out. It was a no go on repair. The pic was corroded and I needed a new string pin or an carb upgrade. Apparently he needed a certain Chinese made pin that wasn't in his Chinese parts collection. LOL
Fortunately we have candles and a backup emergency Propane heater in the living room. Darn ice on the power lines. I need to buy those 100 hr survival candles for back up.

bfisher
01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Sounds bad Simon. I guess you'll survive though. Snow stopped here last night. I got out in the dark and used the snowblower to clear my drive and three neighbors. Smell like a gasaholic when I came in. School was delayed 2 hours here, and the one I was to drive for closed anyway (private school). The publics were open. I'm a little PO'd though. I had removed my car from the street so the township could plow. Pulled it onto my front lawn. Just cleaned it off and the booger won't move. Tires sunk about 2" into the lawn and traction sucks. Guess I'll have to yank it out with the Silverado. Temperature is close to zero so I can just see me climbing under the car to hook up the chain. Uggggh!!!

elkslayer4x5
01-22-2014, 09:46 AM
and possibaly a new generator carb. Hate sitting in the dark, especially while the neighbors gennie is running!!! My worst blackout lasted 8 days...and two weeks later 6 more days. Every neighbor within hearing had a generator running, all of them with a differnt sound. I miss living on the Mendocino Coast, until I remember those few weeks. I bought a Honda after the second blackout, would had gotten one sooner, but every Honda dealer within a 3 hour drive was sold out.

Sonny Thomas
01-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Power out here also, but only about 3 hours. Was just about ready to fire up the generator and the lights came on. Archery club bought one, a DuroMax, for long distances from our electricity. Never used it but one time and they decided to sell it. They'd fire it up, had Stable in the gas all the time, and then shut the gas off and let it run the carb dry. It fired right up and I took it. Dad said it was a little big, but bigger is gooder. I check it every so often.

Sorry about your power being out, Simon and Elk. That's a long hual. Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........

bfisher
01-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Power out here also, but only about 3 hours. Was just about ready to fire up the generator and the lights came on. Archery club bought one, a DuroMax, for long distances from our electricity. Never used it but one time and they decided to sell it. They'd fire it up, had Stable in the gas all the time, and then shut the gas off and let it run the carb dry. It fired right up and I took it. Dad said it was a little big, but bigger is gooder. I check it every so often.

Sorry about your power being out, Simon and Elk. That's a long hual. Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........

Kind of makes you have a little more respect for them. I know I was out a few times today just cleaning snow and it's no picnic. Just got back from the archery club. We have practice wednesday eveings and although we just put in a new gas heater the club treasurer is always griping about the cost so I go out and fire up the wood stove to help out. Lord knows, with 1300+ members and $160,000 in the bank we do need to conserve all we can (sarcasm). Gas bill will probably hit about $1500 this year what with the price increases. What can you expect from mostly a gun club? But at $35 a year it's a small price to pay to be able to shoot inside when winter comes. It's either that or stay home and watch "chopped" or "house hunters" on TV with the wife-----NOT.

Arrow Splitter
01-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Other than temps that don't make it to 20 (it's 10 right now), the weather is nice here. Nothing but sunshine earlier.:cool: I'm glad you guys made it through safe and sound.

A.S

NuttyNative
01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
This how you feel Sonny & Barry?
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/1601599_10152151546259561_1347385379_n_zps4fc23abf .jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/Nuttynative/media/1601599_10152151546259561_1347385379_n_zps4fc23abf .jpg.html)

Double S
01-24-2014, 10:02 PM
The generators still in the repair shop. I told him to upgrade the carb. I'm gonna start using that C-Foam stuff in my equipment. We've gone 7 days without Electricity a couple years ago when over 100 power lines dropped like dominoes from ice buildup. We didn't have a generator back then. We live near the river so we hauled buckets of water from the river.

wscywabbit
01-24-2014, 10:17 PM
. Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........

Soooo, I'm a lineman for Comcast Cable... and the funny thing is, when commercial power goes down, so does our services because SURPRISE our equipment needs electricity too. We run generators out to some locations to insert power into our stuff, but we can't put generators on everything!

When power lines are down, we can't go up until the power linemen are done. Then we can go repair our down lines and stuff.... It cracks me up when people get upset that the cable isn't working when they have a generator to run their stuff and the rest of the neighborhood is down. They come out and yell at us and whatnot LOL. People are usually pretty cool during and after big storms though, we get lots of thank you's when we're out in the nasty weather fixing stuff :)

Hopefully the rest of the winter is better guys, I feel for those that have had hardships so far....

Sonny Thomas
01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
This how you feel Sonny & Barry?

Harry sent me that picture and asked the same thing. I replied; "Throw some logs on it and set it on fire."

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/1601599_10152151546259561_1347385379_n_zps4fc23abf .jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/Nuttynative/media/1601599_10152151546259561_1347385379_n_zps4fc23abf .jpg.html)

Sonny Thomas
01-24-2014, 11:27 PM
So the cold weather has zapped the ole car battery. Yeah, had to put the charger on it yesterday. Fired up and I did the running for the wife and then dad's truck needed to go the garage with him using a walker because he fell and really banged up his knee. 87 years old, he don't need banged up.

So the battery died sometime during the night, like in died dead. New battery, no problem, right? WRONG! The battery is partial under the fender, battery posts to the front against the inner front grill and there's this body strut crisscrossing over the top, it has to come loose and "quarter" turned. Manual says it may take 30 minutes to change. Them %^@#$# flat rate guys never changed one outside in 20 degree weather with the wind blowing 100 mph....Well, enough to have -2 degree wind chill. And that wasn't the worst of it. They battery clamp, the nut welded unneather broke loose and the bolt won't won't loosen. Pry bar time. 20 minutes prying and the battery comes loose. Don't get happy yet. Positive post comes off first. The battery must be turned up on end of come out. You then can take the negative post off. Wanna know how cold tools get out in the open? I can tell you, but Barry would ban me.... So batteries for the Olds were rounded around the top. This was to get the battery out of the #$%#^$%&^ designed carpetment for it. Guess how new batteries come? Yeah, squared on the top. There's a carbon air filter box bolted to the frame from underneath. Mine is now customized. Yep, took a small sledge and caved in the side. And it still took a big screw driver to force the battery down in place. Great! Got it in. Got it hooked up. And the #$^%^^&%$ won't start! Not even a click! That the wife ran for the house does not mean I screamed all that loud and with great profanity. Just had to go to house quick was all. I don't know where the dogs went. So I'm looking around for something I might have pulled loose. Nothing. I hear something like a beep, click or whatever. My courtesy lights are on and their on with them being off. The doom light won't go out. More beeps and clicks. Read book. Nothing. Insert key into ignition. Speedometer indicator jumps. One beep, one click. The lights work like their suppose to and all on their own. Insert key again and try to start. It whipped over so fast I thought the engine was coming out. I didn't read where the computer has to reset itself after a battery change. !$#$%^ computers!
Two hands froze, one temper on fire and 3 hours and I have my Olds purring again.

NuttyNative
01-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Truth be told, I'm jealous of all the snow, we don't get much in Nevada. I grew up & lived about 2 hours from Simon and the winters were awesome. Here it's just cold & windy.

Sonny Thomas
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
GRAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Man! Yesterday I was out shooting in near 48 degrees and thinking Spring. Last night the wind came in sounding like a locomotive. Lord, did it howl. This morning, 4 above zero....

Arrow Splitter
01-27-2014, 02:43 PM
GRAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Man! Yesterday I was out shooting in near 48 degrees and thinking Spring. Last night the wind came in sounding like a locomotive. Lord, did it howl. This morning, 4 above zero....It's a balmy 27 degrees here right now.:D

A.S

wscywabbit
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
yep it was in the high 40's here this weekend and sunny, I cleaned my yard up and got my bow out Saturday... it was a good day :)

But today the clouds and the nasty have moved back in... :(

Joe H
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
We've had enough snow here (10 miles West of Philadelphia) to drive me nuts. Last Wed. I shoveled a path in my backyard to the target and then to my shooting position. I got 3 days of shooting in before the 5" of snow we got today. Oh well, its back to the basement and pellet gun.

CLT Bluesman
02-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Joe H, We used to live in Media, all that snow is one reason I moved back down south. It was 72 degrees down here yesterday, today going to cool off to 63. I will say I could have got my limit on deer right in my front yard up there. I lived right across the street from Ridley State Park and the deer just loved our shrubs. Pull up in the driveway and there would be sometimes at least 6 loitering in my front yard. I do miss the Media Blues Festival every year. BTW welcome to the site.

Joe H
02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Bluesman, Did you have any contact with nearby Middletown Archery when you lived in Media? I bought some stuff from them, but I'm not sure if I want to join for range use due to the limited/odd hours they have. So far, I'm happy with my backyard range.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Snow again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yuck!!!!!!!!!!!

Hutch

CLT Bluesman
02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
No, During that part of my live the bow was under the bed collecting dust. Was focused on climbing the corporate ladder at that time. Work Work Work.

bfisher
02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Snow again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yuck!!!!!!!!!!

Hutch

Better snow than the ice we have here. Tree limbs down all over the place, taking out power lines. Surprisingly the roads are pretty clear. At least you can shovel or blow snow. Not so with ice.

Joe H
02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
No, During that part of my live the bow was under the bed collecting dust. Was focused on climbing the corporate ladder at that time. Work Work Work.

Where did you work? I was at Scott Paper Co headquarters near the airport for 33 years.

elkslayer4x5
02-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Snowing here in my part of Oregon, and more to come today and tommorow, Expecting 4-6 inches today.:(

bfisher
02-06-2014, 05:33 PM
If I didn't have grandkids I'd have been living in Costa Rica for the last 10 years. I could maintain my present standard of living on about $2400 a month. And no snow or ice. I'm ready to see some green on the trees and bushes.

CLT Bluesman
02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Joe H. I worked for US Airways at PHL airport. I lived on Hillendale Road in Media. I still work for the airline here in Charlotte. I was a Regional Safety Manager at the time in PHL. Not much time for hunting back then. Plus AC was so close:cool: I just could not believe how many deer were around. They were everywhere. I remember in one snow storm one was walking down the street, like it was a pedestrian on the street. I could have reached out my car window and petted it.

TEN RING
02-09-2014, 02:42 PM
I think this is one of the coldest winters that we have had in 20 years

bfisher
02-09-2014, 03:39 PM

No doubt in my mind.

ElkSlayer
02-09-2014, 04:54 PM
well we got some snow, not what we were expecting nor was the frezzing rain yesterday took limbs outa tress knocked down power lines had no power for a day... all nice an sunny today thou warmed right up to 54*

Joe H
02-10-2014, 07:49 AM

I agree. Let's blame "Global Warming":D

Ks_Hope
02-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I think we have had enough snow in Kansas lol
Last Tues we got around a foot of snow. Yesterday we got another 2 inches...just enough to make everything slick again. I'm ready for Spring!!!

webbnate_45
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I couldn't agree more KS_Hope!

wscywabbit
02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
I agree. Let's blame "Global Warming":D

Funny thing is, some of the Dem's nuts are saying its a side effect of global warming.... LOL