PDA

View Full Version : Info needed!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Okay everyone! need advise, ideas, help. I am not a novice @ refinishing. But I like you guys tricks and advise.
1st a customer gave me this bow and wants the green changed.
2nd someone before him urethaned it and it was bad.

Now the loaded question!!

How would you refinish it?
What paint would you use on the glass limbs?

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
12-19-2013, 10:14 AM
You lucky Dog!! Nice bow, but you're gonna have to learn to shoot from the correct side with that one. :) Bow really deserves a quality refinish, so I'd ask a professional, someone like bowdoc, yorktown5, or the man who made the bow originally, Larry Hatfield, although he is in Cambodia right now, he'll be comming home soon. You can find them all over on Stickbow.com "LeatherWall".
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks elkslayer4x5

Hutch

Mike G
12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
I would film dip it. I have tried stripping urethane from old recurves with strippers that I cut to weaken them, but it never turns out good. I've tediously used scrubbing pads and very light grit sand papers to roughen up runny varnish coatings similar to this and then used flat colors to do camo paint jobs. These days film dipping is the way to go.

What a way to ruin a beautiful bow.

Good luck!!!

After thinking about it more, the wood riser leave the natural wood grain and use a snake skin film dip for the limbs. Check out https://www.mydipkit.com/index.html

Mike

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Pics of it coming soon!

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
10-25-2014, 09:43 AM
I actually fear this part. So what have you done to a classic bow, a Ne Plus Ultra no less ?

bfisher
10-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I would have to agree that film dipping is the best way to go. The light green in the limbs is not ON them. It's IN them, as imbedded in the glass laminations. You're not going to be able to remove it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Well guys its not green anymore! Yes Barry the green is the color of the resin they use in the fiberglass. Here are some pics.

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
10-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm at a loss for words...shudder! is the best I can do! Nice job, but there's no accounting for some owner's preferences. That bow was from the early to mid 60's. Wasn't that the Brazilian rosewood riser?

bfisher
10-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Wow, really nice job and darned attractive, too. How did you do it? Spray paint? Now the limbs compliment the color of the riser. Now I'd have to say I wouldn't dip it. Just go shootin.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Well guys I was in the auto industry for quite some time and learned all the in's and out's. The paint is a colored resin with a flex agent. The riser is the same except it is clear. The both use a harder and when cured they are solid. They use this stuff on guns mainly. It usually takes sand blasting to take it off. I am impressed by it and it wasn't easy to shoot. but the bow is done except the string which is being built right now. I will post pics when strung.

Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Barry or elkslayer4x5,
Got a question for you guys, Brace height is approx 5 1/2" what would you put it at to start out. Here are some pics with the string next is cat whiskers.

elkslayer4x5
10-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Between 7 and 8 inches, you'll want the string just clearing the srting groves, as you'll have less string "slap" at that point, what you're looking for is a string length that will make the bow as quiet as possible. The brace height that you have now is way too low. I took one of your pics and drew a red arrow where it looks like the string is comming off of the limbs ( very hard to see for sure, wrong angle ) and a green arrow closer to where it should be.

bfisher
10-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Elk is right. Shooting with such a low brace height causes multiple problems. The least problematic is that the bow will be noisy from too much string slap. The second, and this happened to me, is that the string, being that long, will allow the string to go past the groove in the limb and could derail, possibly causing permanent limb twist. And YES, even a recurve can derail. This is what happened on my 2013 Diablo with a brace height of 6 1/2' instead of the recommended 7". If you recall I had you build me a new Trophy string a bit shorter which ended up giving me a 7 1/4" brace. Made the bow real quiet.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-28-2014, 12:52 PM
I knew I asked the right guys! Thanks to both of you! I will build my sting shorter and set up correctly

Hutch

bfisher
10-28-2014, 05:12 PM
I knew I asked the right guys! Thanks to both of you! I will build my sting shorter and set up correctly

Hutch

Bill, why don't you twist up the pretty string that's on it till you get the right brace height. Then measure it. I'm guessing you'll need an inch or more and that's a lot of twists, but it won't hurt anything just to get a measurement.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Bill, why don't you twist up the pretty string that's on it till you get the right brace height. Then measure it. I'm guessing you'll need an inch or more and that's a lot of twists, but it won't hurt anything just to get a measurement.
That is exactly what I did Barry. Now build a good string and add some Cat whiskers and see how we did. Appreciate the help es and Barry!

Hutch