PDA

View Full Version : Martin Archery article to share

MyHuntProfile.com
12-21-2013, 01:44 AM
http://myhuntprofile.com/m/articles/view/Martin-Archery-Back-with-High-Expectations Here is the Martin Archery article, I hope you enjoy.

MyHuntProfile.com
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Sorry I was excited and posted the above article to the forum via my mobile device and did not have much time to say much about it. The above is an article about Martin Archery and recent events and how the author perceives the company moving forward. I wanted to highlight Martin Archery's future and the community right here that supports it. How do you feel in regards to the article? Do believe as the author? How do you see the company moving forward?

bfisher
01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Only time will tell, but the article itself is one of the best I have read to date detailing what the new managers have planned. I can only wish that those in design and management might take the time to read some of the threads on this forum expressing the desires and/or suggestions that could help alleviate some of the pressure on the customer service people. Martin has always been noted for it's fantastic customer service, but if some of the suggestions on these forums were instituted they might end up with less problems, less work for customer service, and better reliability which in turn could bolster the company's reputation once again as a quality bow manufacturer.

Barry

Sonny Thomas
01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
I really can't add anything to what Barry has noted.

MyHuntProfile.com
01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Guys thanks for the kinds words and affirming the article is something respectable for this community. Martin Archery is something important to our community as well. I too agree that Martin Archery has a powerful tool full of potential here with this community full of supporters and those with something to share. I hope to see them utilize that aspect and begin to show a presence here on the forum.

Tosi
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Thank you for sharing. It not easy what Martin is about to umdergo. Being in bussiness my last ten years I understand coming back from the dust. Like Barry said gracefulluy, only time will tell and this forum has a lot of Martin knowledge that can be tapped. To Martin, God speed and a health recovery.

wscywabbit
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's a great article. I think one of the nice things about hitting rock bottom is that there is no place to go but up. Hopefully they reach for the stars so they can be sure to shoot the moon ;)

MyHuntProfile.com
01-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's a great article. I think one of the nice things about hitting rock bottom is that there is no place to go but up. Hopefully they reach for the stars so they can be sure to shoot the moon ;)

You are right in that point. You can only improve and grow from an experience like that. Thanks for your compliments on the article.

Chip
01-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Thank you for the the article, I think they have taken a step in the right direction and looking forward too seeing what next year will bring us. I know I have been a little critical about the new bows and web site this year, but I need to remind myself they had a short year and allot on their plate.

bfisher
01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Thank you for the the article, I think they have taken a step in the right direction and looking forward too seeing what next year will bring us. I know I have been a little critical about the new bows and web site this year, but I need to remind myself they had a short year and allot on their plate.

Which can only make me wonder what next year will bring. You just have to know they have something up their sleeve and have been working the heck out of the engineering dept. on the 2015 lineup. If I remember correctly I think I read something about a return of the Nitrous cam. Personally I'd like to see it redesigned to feel more like the hybrid cams with about 70-75% letoff. This wouldn't take much more than a slight modification of the shape of the modules. Wider cam with wider string/cable tracks with rounded edges. For the money the target colors should be anodized.

Sonny Thomas
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Barry, anodized is nice, but I still remember that first loaner 2010 Shadowcat. Super black, not that carbon finish thing. Felt like silk, not metal feel, me loved it.....

Tosi
01-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Which can only make me wonder what next year will bring. You just have to know they have something up their sleeve and have been working the heck out of the engineering dept. on the 2015 lineup. If I remember correctly I think I read something about a return of the Nitrous cam. Personally I'd like to see it redesigned to feel more like the hybrid cams with about 70-75% letoff. This wouldn't take much more than a slight modification of the shape of the modules. Wider cam with wider string/cable tracks with rounded edges. For the money the target colors should be anodized.

Fish I hope your wisdom is true; the Nitrous "yes" could use a little re-modeling, but the Cam was a true shooter. With what the market has done to limb improverment over the past ten years. Yep! one thing is I can't wait.

bfisher
01-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Barry, anodized is nice, but I still remember that first loaner 2010 Shadowcat. Super black, not that carbon finish thing. Felt like silk, not metal feel, me loved it.....

I agree Sonny. I believe the earlier ones were powder coated, thus the silky smooth feel. Still, first rate target bows should be just that and anodizing is a much more durable finish than hydro-graphing.

Tosi, there were very few of us who dedicated some time shooting the Nitrous X that didn't like it. Even for guys looking for a dual purpose bow it was cool. Most just never gave it much thought. The X system wasn't the greatest for loading an arrow for hunting but it wasn't bad once it was gotten used to. Still, a person could take a target bow with X cams and convert it for hunting simply by adding yoke cables and stick a rod/slide into the riser. Even leave the X modules on to convert back after hunting season. A real easy swap.

And to tell the truth I think most of those who criticized it probably never even shot one. They just read things on the internet posted by other nay sayers and jumped on the band wagon. I look at things this way. If you have no personal experience with something keep your mouth shut till you have tried it for a good amount of time. Honestly, there are maybe a hand full of people who have tried most things hitting the market. The rest have only shot with what is on their bows and draw biased opinions from it. It's just like the questions all the time about what is the best (product). Who has the opportunity and resources to have shot every bow on the market to be able to draw an unbiased opinion as to which is the "BEST"? Whether it be bows, arrows, sights, or whatever; you get my point.

OK, I'm rambling. Time to quit---for a while.

Barry

Sonny Thomas
01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
A bit to what Barry note of the Nitrous X cams. I never met one. I began working at a Martin dealership in 2008 and here it is 2014 and I've yet to lay my hands on one. And I'd agree with Barry for "loading" a arrow (can't say nock). I shot the Hoyt UltraElite shoot through riser for some years. Once I got the hang of it I could load and fire as fast as anyone with a standard bow. I shot the ASA DAIR Indoor target round a few times. Never did the timer catch me during the 1 minute Speed end for getting off 4 arrows...I even cleaned the One Minute Speed end ever time accept once and that was due to my release going off prematurely.....

Tosi
01-17-2014, 09:55 AM
I had a cougar III some years back maybe 10or so and if it only had a string stop it would have been one of the best bow that I have ever shot. Thinking on it I didn't think it was that hard to load but back then I was a lot younger and was shooting Easton XXX75 Super Slams aluminum arrows. Wow that's a blast from the past. I hope Martin has something up the sleeve with some of the other Cams that I thought really started the cam revolution.

elkslayer4x5
01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
As Barry said, once you get accustomed to loading the arrow from the front, it's no problem. It was very easy for me as my first compound was the 63# Slayer listed in my signature, and its the bow I hunt with to this day. I got it used off AT classified, guy before me passed on the bow because it was X rigged, seller lowered the price and I went for it, Liked it so much that I then picked up the second Slayer, and then got a heck of a deal on two Cougar IIIs, both X rigged. By now, it seems strange to me when I see someone load an arrow from the back. Lol ! :) I do disagree however about making new Nitrous cam with 70-75 let-off, as that was determined by which % modules you used, presonally I don't like the HL mods, feels to me like I need to push the string away to release, am happy with the 65% mod. but thats just me.. :D

bfisher
01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
4x5, it shouldn't be so hard to offer 65% mods. They made them before and the CNC program has to be around somewhere. I know a lot of guys that have shot the Nitrous cams and complained that it felt like there was no letoff. The letoff is there. It's just a smoother roll over instead of the bow holding it's peak weight till the last few inches and then dumping into the valley like most bows today. I know with my 2004 SlayR I got about 71% (75% advertised) with my shorter draw length. That's why I recommend about 70% to 75%. It would be a nice compromise between 65% and the common 80%.

The bow was fast, though. A full 30 fps faster than any of the Hybrid cams I'm shooting today, although it's IBO was 10 fps slower. Go figure.

elkslayer4x5
01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Great cams, sure hope Martin digs up the old CNC program, and makes 'em again. Might need a bit of modifing in order to fit the quad limbs. But you're right, they sure are fast. And as you said, have a smooth roll-over.

Tosi
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Bfish, how did the Dyna cams match up to the Nitrous on Valley. I can't remaber if I every shot the Dyna Cam.

bfisher
01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Bfish, how did the Dyna cams match up to the Nitrous on Valley. I can't remaber if I every shot the Dyna Cam.

Honestly, I don't know. I had spent 7 years as a shooter for Golden Eagle and Pearson and my only choices with them were single cams. Prior to that I spent 25 years shooting nothing but dual cams. When I joined with Martin in 2004 I had a choice and jumped hard back to a dual cam. Since then I have had no desire to shoot a single cam bow so never did. Not that there's anything wrong with a single cam. It's just that with a true dual cam that has real yoked cables there are more options when it comes to tuning.

Honestly though, if you shot one of the bows with MPro or newer cam and then one with a Dynacam I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference.