PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Bow presses.

WildWilt15
01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
What are all you guys using? I have been using a bowmaster except on my Martins:cool: but i decided to move on to a more efficient set up due to me getting more into archery so i just bought an EZ green bow press. I either had to buy split limb adapters or a new bow press that could press split limb bows, i went with the logical choice and got the press;). Any thoughts on this press? Any thoughts on any other bow presses out there?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
One of the most popular presses. Seems to be the right price and does the job well.

Hutch

typically8
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I am curious as to why you did not use the bow master on the Martins? I do.

WildWilt15
01-08-2014, 01:21 AM
I could press the bow faster (unless I use a socket and wrench) backing the limb bolts out. And I always felt it was easier on the bow.

Ehunter
01-08-2014, 05:03 AM
I still just use my Bowmaster with the split limb adapters, or loosen the limb bolts. Works for all my bows. Got an old Apple bow press that's been sitting here unused for about 2 years now. lol The Apple won't press parallel limbs like on my Strothers, so it's just a dust collector now.

WildWilt15
01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
I still just use my Bowmaster with the split limb adapters, or loosen the limb bolts. Works for all my bows. Got an old Apple bow press that's been sitting here unused for about 2 years now. lol The Apple won't press parallel limbs like on my Strothers, so it's just a dust collector now.

I will still pack my bowmaster in the woods with me everytime i go out, but this ez press will definitely get its use. Maybe I will get a draw board in the future. I went ahead and ordered a bow vise this morning and almost pulled the trigger on a chrono but was having second thoughts about the amount of use it would get, Anybody buy a chrono for tuning and get a lot of use out of it? Is it worth the money?

wscywabbit
01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I use the Bowmaster all the time, and I have the limb adapters for split/parallel limbs. I much prefer using it to backing the limbs out. As for the draw board, they're easy to make you should make one, they are awesome! I also bought a chrono a while back, and while it doesn't get used often, it does get used. I am the go-to guy for for all my archery friends, and they all want to check the chrono LOL.

EnglishKev
01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
I still carry my Bowmaster with me in my archery pack because I would rather use it than back off the limb bolts if I have a problem.
A few years ago I built my own inline press as it was obviously going to be easier to use than the BM, especially as I was getting buddies and clubmates bows to work on as well.
Bench presses are rediculous money over here so building was the obvious choice for me (I had a contact with lazer cutting and welding facilities;)).
I already had a chrono because of the rifle shooting I did, as a tuning aid it is very good as you can see the results of the tweaking you are doing.
I advise not getting into the speed race thing with it though, you know, ''the chrono is not showing the speed I think the bow should be doing'' syndrome!
A draw board IMO is also pretty much mandatory, especially as they are easy to make for little money.
Cam sync, draw length etc can be checked so much easier with a DB.

Kev

Spiker
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
The Last Chance presses are very nice.
Like Kev - I built my in-line press. It works great for what I do. I also have a Bowmaster portable, Ratchet-Loc, and a couple old homemade ones that are great but dont work on the newer style bows. (one of them I converted to just use on crossbows)
If I had a shop and pressed bows every day I would get the Sure Loc X Press Pro.

WildWilt15
01-08-2014, 05:55 PM
If you guys got some pictures of draw boards or work areas post up. I have a few ideas that are simple but efficient for a draw board but i'm always into taking others ideas;)

wscywabbit
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Here ya go Wilt, simple draw board; basically a 2x6 with a ratcheting boat wench, and a large bolt covered in rubber to hold the bow. I added measurements for both draw length and there is another peg on the side for a quick reference on string lengths that are marked out.

WildWilt15
01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Here ya go Wilt, simple draw board; basically a 2x6 with a ratcheting boat wench, and a large bolt covered in rubber to hold the bow. I added measurements for both draw length and there is another peg on the side for a quick reference on string lengths that are marked out.

Thats pretty much the route i was gonna take very simple and it gets the job done well i bet. All i would need is the winch i have everything else laying around. I would try to set it up vertical though with some kind of support to hold the bow.

wscywabbit
01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
yep it works well, and I'm sure it could be improved upon :) Throw in a bow scale and you're set ;) I use the digital one from the Martin web store...