PDA

View Full Version : Local 3-D shoot today

Don B
01-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I am going to one of the local clubs 3-D shoots today.
We will be shooting 42 3-D targets at mrked yardages, 1 arrow each target.
Scoring is 10-8-5, should be a great time.
I will try and get some pis to post later today.
Here is a link for the shoot....http://www.riversidearchers.com/files/2014%20flyers/01-26-2014%20flyer.pdf
Don.

Sonny Thomas
01-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Don, good luck.

We have a indoor tournament starting this weekend, but I'm setting it out. 30 targets, 3 Qualifiers over 3 months at $10 per and then a Elimination shoot off the 4th month and another $10. It ain't the money, but combined with 280 miles for 4 round trips... It ain't worth it. And the shoot off. It's a paired thing through ranking, #1 vs #64, #2 vs #63 and so on. Said is to give more people a chance to win. I don't go to a shoot to give some one a chance to win. I'm there to win. I think the eventual winner last year had to beat out 6 other shooters 6 different times.

You probably know it already, but in ASA, IBO or NFAA, the only time you have to shoot again in a shoot off is if there is a time. With the bonus points and rings it's unlikely there will be a tie. ASA and IBO, they take X number of the highest Pros to the Shoot Off, but this known up front. So, yeah, you shoot again so to place or win.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Hope all goes well Don!!!

Hutch

Don B
01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Well it was a great day weather wise, low to mid 70's and just enought of a breeze to keep it real nice.
I did shoot my best but still pulled off a 1st place with a 289.
Shot with some good friends and 2 new guys that are now hooked shooting 3-D's. This was thier first shoot.
Don.

Don B
01-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Way to go DB!!!!

Hutch

Sonny Thomas
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Congrats, Don.

Kind of odd to hear of 42 targets. Around here it's 30 or 40 and sometimes there be one novelty shot within.

Arrow Splitter
01-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Congratulations Don! Now all you got to do is join the Martin Pro staff.;):cool:

A.S

elkslayer4x5
01-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Congrats Don! Also nice to see more recurves shooting.

Don B
01-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Don! Now all you got to do is join the Martin Pro staff.;):cool:

A.S
If you only knew how hard I have been trying to do just that, 3 years now.
But I don't think they want anything to do with someone that shoots non-sights and fingers.
Don.

Don B
01-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Congrats, Don.

Kind of odd to hear of 42 targets. Around here it's 30 or 40 and sometimes there be one novelty shot within.

Sonny,
Almost all of our 3-D shoots are 42 targets.
Don.

Arrow Splitter
01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
But I don't think they want anything to do with someone that shoots non-sights and fingers.
Don.With them under new management now, you never know.;)

A.S

Sonny Thomas
01-27-2014, 02:49 PM

A.S

Don.

With them under new management now, you never know.;)

A.S

Hard nut to crack there, Don. If the NFAA ever goes to having X number in a class bare compound shooters may be faced shooting in Bare Bow (all the goodie stabilizers they want) or even Bow Hunter Free Style Limited, again, NFAA. ASA doesn't have a bare compound class and if Regions is following suit, neither do they. So hard for the bare compound to be Lime Lighted, thus not to the liking of Manufacturers.

By that wanted going around is if only one is a class the competitor will be moved to the next higher class. For those that don't know, Traditional or recurve bows with sights is no longer a class by it's self. They were moved to compound bow, fixed sights were combined with Bow Hunter Free Style Limited (fingers) and to Bow Hunter Free style (releases).

Our club has gone with; "Must have more than one is class to recieve awards." The old NFAA saying; It isn't he or her fault no one is in their class" doesn't hold water any more.

Okay, this started long ago with the NFAA giving Championship status to one "wining" with just one in class. Look up Champion; One who defeats all others. I personally know of one person who took Champion in his class because he was the only one it and he shot 12 arrows of the 40 target 3D event. He was shooting in my group and that he missed more than he hit, he decided to quit. I told him to turn in his score card and he got his Championship Plaque....

Don B
01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
There is an agenda on the books for NFAA that is getting voted on during the vegas shoot, they are going to combine barebow and bowhunter.
Don.

NuttyNative
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
There is an agenda on the books for NFAA that is getting voted on during the vegas shoot, they are going to combine barebow and bowhunter.
Don.

I'm not a hardcore 3D shooter, do it when I don't have to work weekends but this doesn't sound fair to me. Up here using that combo the bowhunter would have a huge advantage. My bow is set up for hunting and I use a HHA "slider" sight and that puts me in the unlimited class where they have the major advantage. Yes, I could change things on my setup to "fit" their class or buy a target only bow, but that's not why I go to those. I shoot my everyday setup to improve accuracy period. Sometimes I'll even run the course with my quiver and day pack on, and always shoot my 425gr hunting arrows.

Either way, I don't think it's a fair call to combine two very different classes.

Don B
01-27-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm not a hardcore 3D shooter, do it when I don't have to work weekends but this doesn't sound fair to me. Up here using that combo the bowhunter would have a huge advantage. My bow is set up for hunting and I use a HHA "slider" sight and that puts me in the unlimited class where they have the major advantage. Yes, I could change things on my setup to "fit" their class or buy a target only bow, but that's not why I go to those. I shoot my everyday setup to improve accuracy period. Sometimes I'll even run the course with my quiver and day pack on, and always shoot my 425gr hunting arrows.

Either way, I don't think it's a fair call to combine two very different classes.
The bowhunter class is....non-sights and fingers, 12" max stabilizer, no draw checks, no string walking, no multi anchors, no levels.
Barebow is a free style bow without the sights and shot with fingers.
Don.

Sonny Thomas
01-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Don is correct. Where some confusion may be is, is the correct name. Nothing on the compound bow is called Competitive Bow Hunter and given description as using heavy tackle. Now heavy tackle isn't exactly correct, but the NFAA gives a description of; that of a hunting bow. The NFAA gives over a page of rules for this class and mostly of what you cant' use or do ;)

NuttyNative
01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Don't know if any of the shoots I go to are sanctioned, maybe just club level. Bowhunter here is : release, stabilizer less than 8", fixed sight (no sliders).

bob cooly
02-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Just North of you a little and the wind blew so hard yesterday that when I went out today to shoot I fell over because there wasn't enough wind to hold me up.:cool: