PDA

View Full Version : back tension releases

TEN RING
02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
So I was shopping around for a back tension release being I sold all mine about 10 years ago, I got sticker shock wow they went up in price almost double from what I paid for mine 14 years ago

ElkSlayer
02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I bought a used one off Archery Talk. it looked brand new so I jumped on it... getting used to it now is another story

Rockyhud
02-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I bought a Whalens Hooker on AT (to work my way through target panic) around spring time last year for $75. It was their 1" 3-finger model w/o their leather strap that retails (as I recall) for about $110 or so. I reused my strap from my Carter Quickie and have really grown to like this release a lot; so much so I used it hunting last fall. I'm using the strap simply because it keeps me from losing it - I have the release attached with a long enough tether that it doesn't apply any tension while drawing. Makes me wish I had started with a back tension earlier than I did.

CLT Bluesman
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
New term for me to learn "Back Tension". I used to use an old hot shot thumb release from the 80's, but this year a friend convinced me to use a Tru-ball Max Pro 4. The Tru-ball is really nice, but I hated retiring the old orange Hot Shot. I guess you guys stopped using them 20 years ago.

bfisher
02-11-2014, 04:11 PM
New term for me to learn "Back Tension". I used to use an old hot shot thumb release from the 80's, but this year a friend convinced me to use a Tru-ball Max Pro 4. The Tru-ball is really nice, but I hated retiring the old orange Hot Shot. I guess you guys stopped using them 20 years ago.

Not me. I used to shoot a Hot Shot third finger trigger, like 37 years ago. Then went to a Stan BT release with a custom made handle. Since then I've used so many different ones I can't remember them all.

CLT Bluesman
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
I found a brand new TSS rope release that I had forgotten I bought in the 80's. Real pretty wooden barreled thing. I recall trying in and ditching it. I just could not shake the hotshot. In fact I found it the other day on my nightstand catch all basket, and I held it lovingly, fondling it, and feeling sorry for it, because it had been replaced by the Tru-Ball this year. I feel guilty about it, because I had replaced a worn out Hot-Shot that I have used for decades. The spring that bounced out the little thingy, had died and I used to have to shake it open. So after I had replaced it with the Tru-Ball, I found the brand new Hot-Shot that I must have purchased back in the day and completely forgotten about. The Tru Ball is nice though. Very Nice. I am the archer in a time capsule. Or the Rip Van Winkle of archers. But I was out in the woods today. It snowed all around me, but not in my little piece of paradise in Kannapolis, North Cackey Lackey. Rip lives on.

wscywabbit
02-11-2014, 10:09 PM
I keep wondering if I should try a BT release, its just hard to let go of what's familiar sometimes lol. Especially when I normally shoot so well with the finger release. Maybe it would be different if I tried to compete.... One of these days I won't have to work so much and my kids will be older and they won't want me around, and I'll have time to try and get out and compete. :)

Sonny Thomas
02-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Most inexpensive hinge release I bought was a TRU Ball Gold for $27.00. Yeah, some one missed priced it as it was suppose to be $72 and that was about 10 years ago. Most of my hinge releases, Stanislawskis, cost from $70 up to $141. My thumb release, a TRU Ball ST360, was listed at $179.00. My two recent hinges, Stan Onyx and Blackjack list for $139 each.

TEN RING
02-15-2014, 10:12 PM
I looked at the tru ball gold but think I'm going with the carter only 4 finger

TEN RING
02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
carter only should be here friday

ElkSlayer
02-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I was pleased to use my Truball BT ultra gold 3 today, It was only for setting up my bow. I just swaped cams and put a new string on . did take a shot with it ,felt good so I hope Im not to rusty I'll find out soon enough...lol

WildWilt15
02-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Love my longhorns I have a pro advantage and just ordered a longhorn hunter the exxus is nice also.

TEN RING
03-01-2014, 03:58 PM
finally been able to get out and shoot my new release, had to remember how to shoot one it's been ten years, like riding a bike with training wheels :o

droppixel
03-01-2014, 06:11 PM
I got my 3d hunter on AT for $50 until it gives me a reason to not shoot it I can really justify the prices on getting a new/different thumb or BT release. Will say a finger trigger will never see any of my bows again though.

TEN RING
03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
I got mine from AT like brand new at a third of the cost