PDA

View Full Version : Limbs

Darrenhood
02-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I ordered 80# limbs for my left handed '08 70# Bengal. The take off limbs have a 5L marked on them, the new limbs have 6L. Bfisher informed me these are 75 pound limbs.

I figured I'd give them a try. Sometimes you wind up with a few extra pounds & in the high 70's would be just fine. Now that I have it reassembled & set at 32 A2A, with the limbs bottomed out it pulls 72 pounds.

Suppose if I can get 7L's it'll get up over 75?

Darrenhood
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Out of the box this bow has had none of the string groove exposed on the cam. The string was hard up against the end of the groove. Per Flytier's suggestion, while getting the A2A where it belongs, I got maybe about 3/8" of the string groove exposed at brace.

scepterman30x
02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
hence the reason you are getting lower lbs. You need to orientate the cam like it was before (usually with the lobe of the cam exactly horizontal with the string), then work on the axle to axle by putting twist in or taking them out of the string and cables equally (not the # of twist but length of the cable and string) and if it is a single cam with an idler wheel you need to double the length of the string, whether shortening or lengthening verses the cable (to account for either side of the string that goes around the idler wheel. I hope I hav not totally confused you but you should pick up at least 3-5 lbs. One more thing it is usually always better to have the lobe of the cam under rotated than over rotated (pushing hard into the string).

Darrenhood
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. Shortening the string was the last thing I did. Before that it was pulling 73 with the string right on the edge of riding up out of the end of the groove.

The string was getting a little fuzzy right where it & the flat O.D. of the cam meet. Thought it would help the string live longer if I kept it from smacking right there.

Been trying to email the cust./tech support all day & it's not going thru.

Most of the bows I've played with, stretching the draw length also increased the poundage, without turning a limb bolt. I'll take a look at this thing again & see if that's what's going on, the max poundage will only happen at max draw length.

Darrenhood
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Meaning utilizing a longer draw length module to get more # out of it.

I ordered an 80# bow from Blue Mountain many years ago. Out of the box it maxed out at 73 or something low. Tore it apart & it had a 75# limb on top & an 80# on the bottom. Guess they thought I didn't mean it. Of course they sent another limb.

Think what I'm getting at, the way things are going, I'm pretty sure if I can get "7L" limbs, I won't have to worry about it pulling well over 80, but more like 77 or at least a solid 75.

scepterman30x
02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
as far as the mods giving you more #s...not neccicarily so. Some cams may work that way but on Martin bows changing the mods will not increase the #s while keeping everyyhing else the same.

scepterman30x
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
on Martin bows there are three ways right off the top of my head to get more lbs...increase draw length by rotating cam, turn limb bolts in all the way, put more load on limbs by decreasing AtoA...not saying one should neccisarily do any of these things but thats how one can get more lbs.

bfisher
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Yo!!!!! Darrenhood,

Took you long enough to get on this site. If you're trying to get hold of customer service here it won't work. They periodically monitor this site, but don't answer too many calls here.

In reference to your limbs. I didn't want to mislead you when I said they are 75# limbs. What I should have said is that, according to all the bow/cam charts a 6H limb should be 5# more than your 5H limbs. Thus, if your 5H's were giving you 70# then the 6H should be 75#.

Scepterman has covered most of the basics as to what you can do. I don't know about every bow on the market, but I've had quite a few in the last 35 years and never have I seen one that changes poundage when I draw module is changed. At least not more than a pound or two, depending on the draw characteristics of that module.

Suggestion!!!!! Call Joel or Jake and see if you can swap those 6H limbs for 7H. I know you can get some more poundage by over-clocking the cam or preloading the limbs more because I've done it, but I'm just not certain it's a wise choice when you get up around the weight you're trying to get.

You're an animal.

Barry

Darrenhood
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello again Barry,

I've been looking at this sight for a while, like before I got my Bengal. Came on here drooling over other Bengals in the hunting photos.

I just never wanted to pester you in your home sanctuary.

I certainly don't want to flex the limbs more.

On the home page "contact us" where you can select tech support, the emails just weren't going thru yesterday.

Are there timing marks or reference points for this M-Pro cam?

Darrenhood
02-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Animal? Teddy Bear

flytier17
03-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Hello darrenhood. Good to see you've joined us.

I agree with bfisher, youre an animal. Instead of a higher poundage, get a speedster, like a firecat or Slayer. Shoot it @ 70 at the very most.

OHHHHHHHH, I get it. You want to prove you're not just a pretty face:D

flytier17
03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Animal? I was thinking Rhino. Definetly thick-skinned and stinky.

Didn't really mean that you know:)

Darrenhood
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Flytier17,

Thank you. Nice to be here. A bit more doscile than the other place. Might be the light green back ground has a calming affect.

Latest thing I did with my Bengal...put the #7 cam module on. Theorized that even if it didn't raise the poundage, it would keep the poundage ramped up longer before dropping into the valley. You can definitely see the difference between the 2 modules.

Moved the draw stop enough to add only 1/4 to the draw, enough to get into the valley still.

No chrono, but WOW!

After that, now the peak has dropped to 70 pounds with 6L limbs. I'll shoot it for a while, get some blood on it & see if I want to try the 7L limbs. Gotta lot of hunting photos to post, but nothing with a Martin. Need to get busy.

Don't remember what the lowest brace height bow was I've owned. Are these 350 FPS rigs easy to keep under controll?

bfisher
03-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you asking about the Slayer? I had a 2004 model and it wasn't bad. I used it as a 3D rig. I had B Nitrous cams on it so the brace height was 6 3/8". No problems for me, but a longer draw length might be different. I will say this, it's more important to NOT have a draw length that's too long.

What I always liked about the Slayer was the A2A length. I'm not a real big fan of short bows. Longer bows are just more accurate. Some guys might argue that, but most are so young and never really saw or had extensive shooting experience with longer A2A bows to be able to draw an objective conclusion. And by extensive I mean a long long time, not a half dozen shots in some shop.

But then there can always be the defintion of accuracy. For me the question of accuracy doesn't encompass any shooting of less than 30 yards, and mostly 40 yards or longer. It is often brought up about "hunting accuracy". Excuse me, but for the most part that mneans 30 yards or less and shots this close should be "gimmies" as far as the equipment is concerned. When I say accurate I mean approx. 3" or less groups at 40 yards on a consistent basis. Short bows and long bows can do this, but the longer A2A bows will do it, in the hands of a given shooter, more consistently and more easily.

Guess I got carried away, but it helps explain a little more about the Slayer.

Darrenhood
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
You're right on all counts, Barry.

My first bows were 41, 42 inches. They keep getting shorter.

I used to prefer longer & heavier. Not sure what I'm doing now.

With string attachments & what I use for arrows, I think 292 FPS is the fastest anything of mine has shot.

One of those 350 fps IBO rigs might be a great thing, get heavier arrows than what I'm using now going 300 fps.

That's what I mean by accuracy, too....3 inch at 100 yards with blades.

Took me a while to try my first single cam, now I'd have a hard time switching back to 2 cams. I'd need someone smarter than me to help me understand why a cam & 1/2 or hybrid would be better than either.

I think the only bow I ever shot before I bought it was my first compound. Wouldn't mind trying one of those full speed rigs with broadheads & see if I could controll it.

Always good to hear from both of you.

Now I'm going to go look at Slayers.

flytier17
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Good hybrids and duals have a long history of straight and consistent nock travel. Even the best solos have wavy paths. I owned 2 mathews, both were lousy.

My Slayer puts out 370-280 with a 513 gr. arrow. Talk about KE!!!!! Thats with a bow that IBO's @ 335. I gave a 10fps range because I am always fiddling with the dl due to not finding a release I like. I try different ones, all seem to feel terrible.

Bfisher, I too am a fan of long and heavy. I like stable, not quirkey.

As for smooth draw, the solos are the best, but a speed cam will allow you to shoot a lighter lb for the same speed, meaning smoother draw. Somehow, I get the feeling this theory is lost on you Darrenhood:D

EG. I shot a 70lb bengal yesterday, and my 63lb Slayer draws smoother, and I guarantee is a lot faster.

flytier17
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Now after that lengthy and hopefully enlightening arguement, if you go buy an 80lb slayer, I will friekin' smash my head on a brick wall till my skull splits:D

Darrenhood
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
LMAO!!!!!

You need something like an 80# Slayer because you want to shoot arrows that weigh more than the deer does, right?

Darrenhood
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm realy hoping this Bengal works out the way I want, then I'll put together an identical spare.

As long as I get the long range groups out of it that I want. I think I'm about done adjusting everything. You know what that means, time for the string to break & start all over again, then I'll be joining you on that brick wall.

flytier17
03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
LMAO!!!!!

You need something like an 80# Slayer because you want to shoot arrows that weigh more than the deer does, right?

Yeah, and broadheads so big they chop it in half to make it easier to haul outta the bush;)

With an arrow that big, you can kill a cape buff with a Judo point:D

flytier17
03-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm realy hoping this Bengal works out the way I want, then I'll put together an identical spare.

As long as I get the long range groups out of it that I want. I think I'm about done adjusting everything. You know what that means, time for the string to break & start all over again, then I'll be joining you on that brick wall.

With an 80lb bow, I think I'll be seeing you sooner than you think.

Might not have a skull to bash after that puppy explodes though.

Actually, maybe you might. Thick-skinned, thick-skulled, an nuthin up top mut solid rock.

:D