PDA

View Full Version : arrow differences

Ehunter
02-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I've been reworking some arrows lately, and came upon a question. With arrows of the same length, and virtually the same weight (+/- 3 gr.), but different FOC by about 3-4%, will there be a trajectory difference? If so, would it be anything to worry about for hunting purposes? As always, thanks for the input guys!

Eric

bfisher
02-23-2014, 09:21 PM
For hunting purposes and shots out to 30 yards I doubt you'd see much difference. I once set up my hunting bow with 75gr InnerLoc heads, had them tuned and sighted in. Threw on some 100gr InnerLocs and only saw about 2" drop at 30 yards compared with the lighter heads.

EnglishKev
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
FOC has no real effect on trajectory, overall weight is the key factor.
A few years ago, I did some tests by building arrows with the same weight, but with FOC varying from 5% to 21%.
I acheived this by using different inserts/tips and internal weight tubes.
Out to 55 yards, there was no real difference in the points of aim, all arrows grouped together.

Kev

Ehunter
02-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured weight was more of a determining factor than anything, but wanted another opinion or two. Barry, Kev, thanks alot!

Sonny Thomas
02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
For hunting purposes, no problem. At one time I carried hunting arrows that varied in weight from 375 to 385 grs and all dead deer arrows out to some 35/40 yards.