PDA

View Full Version : 100 yard group thread ?????

hawkdriver55
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Summer is coming and the weather is warming up. I was wondering if anyone would like to take part in a 100 yard Rytera / Martin group thread. Where you post a pick of where you are shooting from to the target or even better a video of you shooting a 3 shot group at a target at 100 yards. Make the target something like a standard paper plate.... 10 inches or so.

It would be just for fun and something to pass the time while we all wait for deer season. (Heck, I have never shot past 50 yards myself) just thought it might be fun.

ANYONE WANT TO DO THIS?????

(Mods. sorry if this is the wrong place for this)

DeanRM
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Sounds like fun! I need to wait until the 4' of snow melt here in MN before I can get out to 100yds.

GB3YO
03-05-2014, 07:45 PM
I'd be in never shot past 80 but whats another 20 right

hawkdriver55
03-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Cool thanks for playing along. I thought more folks would have wanted in on it but guess not.

So do we just keep this thread going or start another one when we start shooting?

I walked off 100 yards at work today.....that is going to be good strech for shooting. Should be fun!

Who knows. Maybe Martin might get some good propaganda out of our post!

droppixel
03-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I'll give it a whirl when the snow goes away for good.

wscywabbit
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I took some pot shots at a 100 yard FITA target this summer, and boy is it a poke! First shot hit the dirt, second hit in the lowest ring, 3rd Bullseye! I couldn't do it again if I tried but it was a huge kick in the pants... my friend that was with me had to pick his jaw up off the ground. We left right after that, figured that was one heck of a way to end a range session LOL

I'll try again this coming summer and see if I can get a video of me missing the target... bet I can't get anywhere close to the bull LOL!

Arrow Splitter
03-06-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm in if I can get 100 yards here after some clearing. I've done 100 before, but not with my Firecat.:cool:

A.S

Sonny Thomas
03-06-2014, 07:59 AM
It would be just for fun and something to pass the time while we all wait for deer season. (Heck, I have never shot past 50 yards myself) just thought it might be fun.

Pass the time while waiting for deer season? This snow gets gone and a whole bunch of them 3D critters will be needin' shot ;) Trying to figure out if I can get to 3D this weekend, a ASA Qualifier....

Rutnstrut
03-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm in. I just picked up two mint Alien x's last week. Both will be hunting bows, but I like playing at long range with my hunting rigs. Hopefully these will be as accurate as my old Alien X that I never should have sold.

EnglishKev
03-07-2014, 04:54 AM
I'll be in if I can overcome my problem of posting pics.
I'm gonna try from my laptop to see if that makes a difference.

Kev

EnglishKev
03-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Not on toplc (sorry) just trying something.

Kev

hawkdriver55
03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
For our friend Kev across the pond in England. Shoot 91.440 meters. LOL

Sonny Thomas
03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't know, Kev. That critter looks a little shifty eyed to me....

hawkdriver55
03-07-2014, 08:33 PM
The mods have informed me that we will have an Official 100 yards pic and video STICKY in the general arechery forum. So let the games begin!!!!!

EnglishKev
03-08-2014, 10:49 AM
For our friend Kev across the pond in England. Shoot 91.440 meters. LOL

Nah, I'm oldschool, still mainly feet and inches for me, especially when it comes to shooting distances (I have been known to mix and match when building stuff, confuses people helping me when I ask for a panel of 2ft 6'' by 780mm LoL).

I don't know, Kev. That critter looks a little shifty eyed to me....

Yeah, he was a Mathews fan, didn't like the hat I made him wear:D

Kev

hawkdriver55
03-08-2014, 01:17 PM
First day out shooting at 100 yards. Marked off 100 yards. Set up a block target and started shooting. One word....WOW. I had dropped a pin to the bottom of my site housing and started from there. First arrow landed short...WAY SHORT! I am shooting 60 lbs on the Alien and have found that I have to pick a spot about 9 feet above the block to aim at to hit the target. After bracketing in on the target and getting to where I was hitting the block at least with all three arrows. I took a break and came in and got the plate and the camera with high hopes. When I walked out about 15 minutes later, the wind had picked up and the sun was lower in the sky and shining right in my face.....then the Mexicans showed up to mow between the rows of the peach orchards next to where I am shooting. After making three attempts and having at least one arrow missing the block I called it a day. It isn't going to be easy fellas.

Word of advise....make sure the area around your target is cleared and the grass is short before you start shooting. It will make finding the arrows easier when you first start shooting and bracketing in on the target. Good luck!!!

elkslayer4x5
03-09-2014, 11:23 AM
We have a 100 yd practice bale up at the club, last mark on my HHA sighted Field bow is 90 yds, so the only way to get the pin on target will be to move the gang adjustment. Will give it a go next I'm up there. This event will be limited to HAND HELD bows, Right? No shooting machines, right? :D

TEN RING
03-09-2014, 11:29 AM
We have a 100 yd practice bale up at the club, last mark on my HHA sighted Field bow is 90 yds, so the only way to get the pin on target will be to move the gang adjustment. Will give it a go next I up there. This event will be limited to HAND HELD bows, Right? No shooting machines, right? :D

are you directing that at hutch :D

hawkdriver55
03-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes!!!!!! NO machines or Crossbows. Martin and Ryteras are preferred.

First post is up on the video thread!!! The wind died down enough for me to get out and shoot some this afternoon before work.

elkslayer4x5
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
are you directing that at hutch :D

Naw, not spefically, but if the shooting machine fits...don't use it!!! :D

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
LOL

Nice shooting hawk!

A.S

EnglishKev
03-10-2014, 05:37 AM
LOL

Nice shooting hawk!

A.S

I'll second that.
It is setting the bar pretty high right from the start, we'll have to go some to keep up.

Kev

hawkdriver55
03-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks Guys! Going to take the cougar out today and start working with it. It will be much harder. With .29 pins and a shorter ATA, it is a great treestand bow but not as forgiving as the Alien XT. I will try to get it done before friday, when I have to go back to work.

hawkdriver55
03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Here is what I could do today with the Cougar FC before the wind kicked up again. Didn't get it done (3 arrows in the plate) But I will get it done this week for sure before I have to go back to work.

http://youtu.be/Ac8tgrc8ZZI

hawkdriver55
03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Anyone else shooting yet?

Arrow Splitter
03-13-2014, 04:14 AM
If you could see out my window you wouldn't be shooting either. LOL;)

A.S

hawkdriver55
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks hawk.
There is added incentive not to miss, the ground in the parking area where I have that target is all gravel and flint.
I managed to keep them all in the foam luckily.
Shot 6 arrows from each bow to get an aimpoint then went for the group.

Next time I'm going to pin something to the tree for a more definative aimpoint than the branch.

Kev

Yep Kev, That is the trick. If you can nail down something in the tree to hold your site pin on it will tighen up your group. I was using a small group of pine needles on a limb above my target. Good luck!

hawkdriver55
04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Anyone else?

Arrow Splitter
04-15-2014, 05:13 PM
There are many of us that are just getting rid of winter.;) I hopefully will be shooting at 100 yards soon.:cool:

A.S

hawkdriver55
04-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Man I must be spoiled living down here in the south. We have had a frost warning the last couple of nights and you would think that we were about to go into an ice age. Everyone has freaked out. I guess you guys farther north still have snow or soggy yards still.

Arrow Splitter
04-18-2014, 04:29 AM
No greenery yet either. It's currently 22 degrees.

A.S

wscywabbit
04-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Yep weather has not been very good for shooting up here in the NW... well not bows anyways lol. Between the wind and the rain longer than 40 is hard to keep on target. I won't miss the bag but those dots have been pesky things in this weather ;)

bwhntr7973
04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I will get into the mix here sometime in the next two weeks. I have some pics of some 100 yard groups with my Strother SX Rush. I just got my Rytera Seeker 365 set up and tuned the rest and sighted in for 20 yards. I will have to go to the range to get the rest of the sight all dialed. Here are some pics of my 100 yard groups from the SX Rush with more to come when the seeker is ready to go. I will take some better photos when I go out with the seeker of where it is launching from to where it is impacting.

bfisher
04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Honestly, that's some pretty good shooting. I doubt that I can even see 100 yards any more. Getting too old and my bifocals won't focus that far out.

elkslayer4x5
04-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Honestly, that's some pretty good shooting. I doubt that I can even see 100 yards any more. Getting too old and my bifocals won't focus that far out.

This is why Speciality Archery makes Clairifers and Verifiers, and HHA makes lens! But you knew that. :D

bfisher
04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
This is why Speciality Archery makes Clairifers and Verifiers, and HHA makes lens! But you knew that. :D

Yeah, and I have a 4X lens and Verifiers. I'm considering just trying a pair of +1.25 or +1.50 reading glasses. As it is, I'm far sighted and still can't see thru a peep with glasses on. I'm not going to say it sucks getting old. Getting old is just part of the game of life, and I've got a lot to be thankful for. For one thing I have, or HAD, more disposable income. Just a month ago I went and wrote a check for $125K to buy my daughter a new house (pending divorce). There are certain school districts I will not allow my 3 yr. old granddaughter to attend so I had to look out for her. Now I own two houses, but a smaller bank account.

hawkdriver55
04-29-2014, 12:55 PM
I will get into the mix here sometime in the next two weeks. I have some pics of some 100 yard groups with my Strother SX Rush. I just got my Rytera Seeker 365 set up and tuned the rest and sighted in for 20 yards. I will have to go to the range to get the rest of the sight all dialed. Here are some pics of my 100 yard groups from the SX Rush with more to come when the seeker is ready to go. I will take some better photos when I go out with the seeker of where it is launching from to where it is impacting.

Holy Crap! That is some tight grouping for 100 yards. Nice shooting!!! I knew you target guys could drop them in at that range.

bwhntr7973
04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Holy Crap! That is some tight grouping for 100 yards. Nice shooting!!! I knew you target guys could drop them in at that range.

Funny thing is, I do not consider myself a target shooter at all. I practice in the backyard out to 30 yards, go to usually around 6 3-D shoots a year and every once in awhile practice at the range so I can get some real yardage. I shoot my exact set-up I am hunting with and do not even own a "target bow". I am just a hunter that likes to shoot my bow and if I can shoot at least 5 times a week I am happy and doing good. During the summer I will venture to the range to shoot long yardage at least once every week, but I teach during the school year so it gives me flexible weeks in the summer. Thanks for all the compliments though, I do work hard at honing my craft.

hawkdriver55
05-18-2014, 02:25 AM
anyone else yet?

Arrow Splitter
08-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Well, I haven't managed to yet. Hopefully soon, if not maybe next year. Hunting season is just around the corner.:cool:

A.S