PDA

View Full Version : sssshhhhh don't tell the deer... but I'm practicing.

naptime
04-02-2014, 08:10 PM
so, you may remember a few days back, I posted my first shots at 38 yards. (my first time shooting over 20 yards)

took 8 arrows, but i finally hit the tennis ball. it hangs on a string about 6" out in front of the target.

reminder pic:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/jaythomson/archery/IMG_3200_zpscc75a27b.jpg

well, been going out everyday for about 30-40 arrows.

contrary to what my pics show, I do NOT shoot groups all the time. i normally shoot 1 arrow per target, and walk my way around the 36" bag.

but, when I want to go for that tennis ball, then I'll lob a group of 5 at it, just to see how I'm doing.

well, it's been a few days, so it was time to go for the ball again..

here is todays result. same 38 yards. :-D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/jaythomson/archery/IMG_3260_zps133f28f5.jpg

5 arrows, 3 in the ball.

maybe I over analyze, but it was bothering me that the top arrow in the ball was at such a different angle than the other two, well, than the other four actually.

then i realized.. that was the first one to hit the ball. which is hanging 6" in front of the target. with no solid back, the ball would have rotated from the impact, before the arrow passed and dug into the bag. giving it that awkward angle.. then the next two arrows were hitting the ball that already was solid..

thats my guess anyway. lol.

Sonny Thomas
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Ya got it! Yes, non-stationary objects do funny things when hit with a arrow. Try those Styrofoam Christmas tree balls, the ones wrapped with colored threads. No weight at all. Just throw out 12 to 15 feet on the ground and try to stick one. A little bit off center and that feather weight ball with float off unharmed...

Nice target. Haven't seen one for years. Those yellow and black dots arranged in a circle, shot placement. This Hoyt staff shooter got me going on this. Same thing difference was Terry Wunderle and his drawing the point zone of a 3D target on plain brown paper with a light lead pencil. You don't make the lines dark. What it is, is knowing where the lines are and placing your arrow.

wscywabbit
04-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Nice shooting Naptime! :)

elkslayer4x5
04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Doing well at the 38 yd tennis ball, can you step back? :)

Arrow Splitter
04-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Maybe the 100 yard challege? :cool:

Great shooting NT.

A.S

naptime
04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
This is all my yard has to offer :(

I might be able to push it back a few feet. Gonna look for a new shooting spot, maybe side stepping to the right will get me more distance before the pool gets in the way.

I gotta be honest, i wouldn't mind putting a tree stand up. There's two just to the right of where I shoot. It'd be full. To try and practice from one.

Though I'd sure be opening myself up to more prying eyes at the apartments behind us. ( those used to be woods, crawling with deer) chopped down for two large apartment complexes.. but anyway, we have a no projectile law in the city. Can't legally shoot my bow at all in the yard. But we're fenced in, and its quiet.

But man, it would be fun!

elkslayer4x5
04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
It would be fun, but not worth the risk!

naptime
04-04-2014, 01:20 PM
i know :-(

that's all I need is someone looking out their window and calling the cops.

yeah, there's a guy in a tree in the house behind us. he has a bow and arrow.... and binoculars. lol