PDA

View Full Version : Traditional arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Got an old 45lbs Ben Pearson recurve. What arrows would you recommend?
Ones that won't break the bank!!

Hutch

TEN RING
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
get some deer crossing arrow 400's for it won't hurt the bank or get some xx75's from ebay you can get them cheap

bfisher
04-16-2014, 07:52 PM
How long and how heavy of a tip?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Barry, its says 28" draw. Not sure what to use for heaviness

Hutch

Stevtech
04-16-2014, 09:37 PM
the ice man arrows real cheap but lots of work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNmUJWNCMw

elkslayer4x5
04-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Wapiti Archery supplys both tapered and parallel Cedar or Douglar Fir wood shafts. Spined within 5 lbs for $29 a doz or for the premium shafts, spined within 5 lbs and within 10 grains for $37 a doz. Tapered run $43 a doz, Wapiti makes the best shafts that I know of.
http://www.wapitiarchery.com/?cid=17
A more economical way to go is Sagittarius Archery Supplies, you can get every thing you'll need there, shafts, nocks, feathers, and points. They sell only POC ( Port Orford Cedar ) spined within 5 lbs at $30 a doz, a dollar higher per doz than Wapiti, but you can get the nocks, feathers and points at the same time and will save on shipping. They have a higher grade shaft, spined within 5 lbs and grained within 20 gr for $35.
http://www.spirotek.com/customers/sag/
If this is your first trip down the traditional trail, I'd recomend that you use a 5" feather, at least until you start getting a clean release.
What model Ben Peaeson is it? If you like to find what year it was made, check through these old Pearson Catalogs. They date from 1957 to 2011, ought to be able to find your bow in there somewhere! :)
http://www.benpearson.com/vb/showthread.php?924-First-Set-of-Catalogs&

bfisher
04-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Bill, almost all traditional bows are rated for draw weight at a 28" draw. That, however, is not always what the shooter draws. For instance, with a compound bow my optimum draw length is about 26 3/4" shooting a release. If I shot with the same anchor I would draw about 1" longer, but I don't have the same anchor and thusly only draw closer to 24" or 25". So with the shorter draw length I'm really drawing closer to 30# although the bow has 35# limbs. I have to pick a spine that is compatible to the length actually needed. For me it ends up being a 500 spine GTUltralite with 80 gr tips and feather fletching.

Bear in mind that I'm shooting the same arrow that I can shoot out of a compound at nearly 60#. These arrows are 27" long and what I had on hand so no need to go out and buy different arrows for the recurve. You have to figure out what length the arrow will be before you can pick the correct spine. You can always start out with the arrow longer than needed, cutting it down to reach optimum spine. This is easier done with aluminum shafts as points or inserts can be hot melted and removed to cut the arrow. Inserts are the way to go in most cases because you can play with shaft length to get close and then change point weights to get the best flight.

The nice thing about traditional bows is that arrow launch is slow enough that you can actually see the arrow in flight. It's a tad slower than compounds---like a lot. It definitely puts the arch back into archery. Makes shooting more fun, too.

I would say that if you do end up shooting 28" or so you could start with a 400 spine and see how it shoots. You surely have some arrows around you can play with.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone! 28" draw it is. So that should get me pointed in the right direction

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
04-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone! 28" draw it is. So that should get me pointed in the right direction Hutch
What is your draw length with your compound? As Barry said, drawing a traditional bow will be a bit longer that draw with a release, you will need to measure your draw length. Based on your responces, it sounds as if you've never shot a traditional bow, and I'm guessing not with fingers either. If so, I'd recomend that you start with a tab, easier to get a clean release with, and far more comfortable than a glove is. Once you get used to it, that is. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-21-2014, 04:30 PM
He should be 28 or 28.5 inch draw length if I remember right. Good info guys!!

Hutch

bfisher
04-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Whadda ya mean "he". I thought we were talking about you?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-21-2014, 08:09 PM
To clarify I have a friend who visited and brought some recurves. I whipped up some threads for him. Then He asked me about arrows. So I came to the Pros you guys.

Hutch

bowhunter55
04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
32 inch 3555 gold tips with 125 grain tip and 4 vane setup shoots real nice out of a 45 pound bow

bfisher
04-22-2014, 08:57 PM
32 inch 3555 gold tips with 125 grain tip and 4 vane setup shoots real nice out of a 45 pound bow

Are you sure? We're talking about finger release, not mechanical. I have to use a GT UL-500 spine at 27", 80gr tips, and 3 feathers out of a 35# bow/fingers release. 3555 is a 500 spine. 600 spine flies like crap. Here again, nobody has mentioned string material. I'm using Trophy made by Hutch. Dacron is a softer material, but 24 fps slower out of my setup and that was with 30# limbs.

And Bill, all this time I thought you were digressing back to the FUN side of archery. I have to say I'm disappointed---a little. LOL.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-23-2014, 04:20 AM
Barry, I will be getting one! But I didn't want a older one I want to get a new one like you with reinforced tips. I kinda like playing around with the newer materials and bows.

Hutch

bfisher
04-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Barry, I will be getting one! But I didn't want a older one I want to get a new one like you with reinforced tips. I kinda like playing around with the newer materials and bows.

Hutch

Well that sounds better, Bill. If nothing else you at least know that the first thing you do is replace the factory string. The one you made me works just fine. Nock fit is real nice. The added bonus of 24 fps extra over the factory string doesn't hurt much either. It's just amazing to me to get that much of a speed gain out of 30# limbs by just changing the string. I even raised the brace height another 1/4" as well.

elkslayer4x5
04-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Well that sounds better, Bill. If nothing else you at least know that the first thing you do is replace the factory string. The one you made me works just fine. Nock fit is real nice. The added bonus of 24 fps extra over the factory string doesn't hurt much either. It's just amazing to me to get that much of a speed gain out of 30# limbs by just changing the string. I even raised the brace height another 1/4" as well.
What's the brace height now? Is it quiet at that brace height? Whats the length of the string Bill made for you? Es9x8's Diablo definatly need a new string, even though he's not been shooting much lately, barely has time for his chores after baseball practice or a game. We were mowing the back yard Sunday and he wanted to shoot, but it started raining before we finished, did shoot a bit in the garage, but he wants to shoot longer distances now, Trying to get ready for Deer season in late Aug. :)