PDA

View Full Version : HHA sight optics

Tosi
05-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Ok guys need some help. I have 20/20 vision and never used any optics on a archery sight. The bow I have is both a target bow and hunting bow I call it a cross over bow. Is it worth investing a 130 bucks for a 2x, 4x, or a 6x buy .

Thx Pete

NuttyNative
05-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Personally I wouldn't put a scope on it until the eyes say you need it. All my sights are the HHA 5519's, my eyes are so bad that I can't read the words on the cover of a magazine at arms length without my glasses. However, I don't wear glasses when I shoot and have no issues yet. When I start to have problems I'm going to use the clarifier/verifier peep first.

elkslayer4x5
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I have to use a Speciality super peep with verifier in order to see my HHA 5519 pin and the target clearly, and use the hooded version on my hunting bow. I have a 2X lens on my 3D/Field bow, but avoid rainy days with it. The Hooded peep keeps the rain off the verifier lens. I need a hood for the 2X lens, rain drops will blur out the target, dust is also a problem. Can't see anything when the sun is shinning on the dust.

bfisher
05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Adding a lens for target/3D can be advantageous, but not very practical for hunting. Some of the cons are: Rain on a lens makes it virtually useless. Dust or bright sunlight can create glare or obscure vision. Fogging if taken from cold to heat is a possibility. If most of your hunting shots tend to be 30 yards or less there is no need for magnification as field of view decreases. 2X is almost worthless and 6X is too much except for controlled target work. 4X seems to be a nice compromise and usually won't require the need for a clarifier peep lens although a smaller peep aperture may be needed to keep the target clear (same for hunting). 6X will probably require the use of a clarifier or very small (1/16") peep.

Here again, all these cons can be controlled for a target setup. Not always so for hunting. On the plus side, you can use a lens for target/3D and just remove it for hunting.

To find out what suits you you should go to a shop that has a demo board with all the lenses (Verifier & clarifier) and the various " lens kit B" options. If you are truly interested it would be worth your time to find such a shop and see for yourself. Everybody's eyes are different so require a test drive. They're too expensive to just order on-line.

Lastly, I would not pay $130 for a lens kitB. If memory serves me correctly they retail for about $85. The use of a clarifier/verifier isn't cheap either. You'd need a Specialty peep for about $20 and clarifier/verifier would be almost $30. Try www.specialtyarchery.com and read their tutorials (FAQ).

TEN RING
05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I use a 3 power for hunting and 3d's

Tosi
05-18-2014, 12:23 PM
thanks, think Ill try a X4 for 3D.