PDA

View Full Version : Arm guard use and string wear?

Stevtech
05-21-2014, 02:00 PM
I just ordered new bow strings for my Diablo TD.

On my original string the serving quickly fell apart at the limbs. I got one from the shop down the street and had the same experience.

I ordered one and the serving on it lasted longer but still not more than a couple of weeks. I sent the company pics of the serving and he told me I was hitting it with my arm guard. I figured this had to be interfering with my shooting so I started holding my bow and arm differently.
Now I don't use an arm guard. I have seen many long time shooters use them. If it hits my arm now I consider it a lesson that I was not holding my bow correctly, it rarely happens.

I then had a string last a long time but it came apart at the limbs. I filed and sanded the limbs so the string doesn't bend over sharp edges.
It lasted even longer.

On my last one the serving wore through right in the nock. I don't think I can do much about that. Except to make sure I never have dirt in my nock.

bfisher
05-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Sounds like you end up with a lot of serving problems. I have posted on here before that the factory strings are poorly served, as you found out. Mostly what I've seen is the end serving unraveling. It's a good move to round the edges of the string groove at the limb tips, which I learned and corrected the problem the same way you did.

The string you got from your shop must have been one of those "inferior" strings commonly sold for recurves. Servings are usually loose on them also as well as the center servings. Hitting an arm guard can destroy center serving in short order. Change shooting form and it can eliminate most of the contact.

NOW, a little pointer: The limb tips on the Diablo are reinforced so you can ditch the cheap Dacron strings and go with a Fastflight material. I got my Diabl last year with 30# limbs. Soon changed to a string made of BCY Trophy, compliments of Hutch (www.Bowstringdepot.com). It now has about 10,000 shots on it and looks almost as good as the day I put it on. An added bonus was that the bow gained a whopping 24 fps and shot more quietly.

Wish you good shooting with yours. I'm enjoying mine immensely.