PDA

View Full Version : Need target arrows for 30 & 40 target bows

frankm
06-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I have these two generic target bows, one #30 and one #40. I'd like to get longer arrows for adults, not kiddie arrows. Any recommendations on some decent target arrows that fly well at these bow weights? Feathers preferred. If I could buy one kind, that would be nice. I prefer not to have to tune them, just something that flies decent.

Don B
06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Frank,
check the arrows on the Deer Crossing Archery site.
They are now in San Diego, you might be able to pick them up and save shipping.
Bart the owner and the rest of the guys are awesome to work with.
Don.

elkslayer4x5
06-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Thats a pretty broad question, how long? Length effects spine. What price range, economy or sky's the limit? Since you said "feathers prefered" I'm guessing that you're looking for made to order arrow and not shafts. Carbon or Aluminum? Recurve or compound? Narrow it down a bit more for us and I sure that we can find some arrows to suit your needs.

frankm
06-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Basically, I'm looking for target arrows for #30 and a #40 target bows. 30" would be good. Other than that, no other criteria. As long as they shoot decent for beginners. Maybe I should just get some 1535's?

minnie
06-05-2014, 08:54 AM
like elkslayer replied, it's a bit tricky without specifics. lots of variables involved.
just for example, i own 3 bows in the 30 to 40# range, and have 3 sets of arrows.

a 37# compound - my beautiful martin mystic comp bow. i shoot victory VAP600 at 28", 2 1/2" feathers 80gr point. (shot with fingers). economical small diameter light carbon arrow. for 3d, field and target.
a 64" target recurve 23"riser with 32# limbs. my drawlength is 24" so i hold about 26#, arrow is a tiny cartel triple 1100 spine at 27". ally/carbon which i bought cheaply secondhand, but pricey if new. for indoor target.
a 62" samick sage 30# recurve, but about 25# held at my short draw length. custom made 5/16" timber arrows with big red helical fletched feathers and brass points shot off the shelf. for 3d traditional, and for the enjoyment of watching them fly.

are the arrows for 30 and 40 # target compound or target recurve bows?

elkslayer4x5
06-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Since all of your other posts are about recuves, I'm guessing that thats what kind of bows you're shoping arrows for... and since we're talking begining archers, no one is going to know what thier draw length is, so thats why you're looking for longer arrows. Same reason for the feathers, recover faster from a bad release. As you know the draw weight of a recurve depends on how far back it's drawn, Draw a 30# bow 30" and it weighs 34-35 lbs, draw a 40# bow 26" and it weighs 35-36 lbs. I'd say go with the Easton XX7s's..Jazz or Blues in 1816 or 1916 and fletch 'em with at least a 3" feather, 4" would be better for beginers. Do you have a feather burner by any chance?

frankm
06-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Oh, I thought if I said target bows that meant recurves. Sorry. Yes, they are for recurves. The typical black or green target bows you buy at the store for 50 bucks. I don't have a feather burner.

elkslayer4x5
06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Oh, I thought if I said target bows that meant recurves. Sorry. Yes, they are for recurves. The typical black or green target bows you buy at the store for 50 bucks. I don't have a feather burner.

Then I'd get 4" feathers, the more feather, the faster it will recover from the paradox/poor release. For the type of archery that you'll be using these set-ups for ( introducing folks to archery ) you really need something like the wooden target arrows that used to be sold almost everywhere. 28" with 3" 3 fletch, and a bullet target point. Back in the early 70's, the archery club that I belonged to bought a midway archery set-up, a trailer full of lightweight recurves and barrels of the mentioned arrows. As well as thw frame wqork and carpet dackdrop to set up a booth on the midway of the county fair. 25 cents for 3 arrow, break as many ballons as you could. We did it to raise enough money to build a new outdoor range and to attract new members, and it worked well for both. Very few people drew the arrow more than 28" but for those that did, we had a few dozen 30" arrow that I made up. Unless you already have the bows, I go with lighter draw weights, 20 & 30#s. People who have never shot a bow will have trouble with a 40 # bow, even a healthy young guy. You can find arrows like I was talking about here.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/3Rivers+Wood+Youth+Arrows_i4292X_baseitem.html

frankm
06-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks!