PDA

View Full Version : Richard Batdorf Joins Martin Archery as Director of R&D

FishingandHuntingUSA
06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Walla Walla, WA - May 5, 2014: Martin Archery announced today that Richard Batdorf, owner of Xtreme Archery, has joined the Martin Archery research and design team as Director of R&D. Richard spent nearly 20 years in the industry with Xtreme Archery, Winchester Archery, Ben Pearson Archery, and Newberry Bows as Design Engineer and Director of Research & Development.

He has served as a patent advisor, CNC programmer, and has designed both compound bows along with crossbows for over 20 years. He has developed some of the best cam designs in the industry. He currently owns the 2 Track Cam Patent "US #8220446". Along with patents he has a great track record of decreasing warranty issues at his previous organizations.

Bob Peck, Director of Sales & Marketing at Diversitec commented, "After 20+ years in the archery industry one fully understands just how small the industry is. Reputation is everything and Richard has a great reputation for innovation and engineering skills. As a holder of multiple patents and a long list of accomplishments it is a pleasure to serve with Richard and watch his designs go from drawing board to prototype to in-the-field."

Richard is excited to be a part of one of the oldest and most recognizable brands in the industry. He plans to take Martin Archery to the next level in Design and Research. Martin Archery has some great designs and patents that he will be able to take to the next level. He is excited about the platform he has to build from to help Martin Archery become the leader in Design & Research.

In his new role as Design Engineer, Richard will lead the design team to create the best line-up that Martin Archery has ever seen. Richard is a great addition to the impressive management team that has been recently put into place to revitalize the company with innovation, delivery, and performance.

"I am extremely excited to announce the hiring of Richard. After speaking with several candidates, I felt confident that Richard was not only the best in terms of design but also the best fit for Martin. He brings a passion for archery, a history of excellence and a fresh perspective to Martin," said Lance Irving, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer.

Rich Weatherford, Martin Archery's CEO, commented, "We are looking forward to having Richard lead the execution of our compound bows to the next level. He has a great reputation of technical innovations and patent designs that will lead the charge for our 2015 release."
- See more at: http://www.archerywire.com/releases/319247/#sthash.qHDHxVOA.dpuf

droppixel
06-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Oh snap!

60X
06-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Wasn't Richard with High Country recently as well?

droppixel
06-12-2014, 09:11 PM
My only hope is that this doesn't bring "clones" of all the previous models that had been designed as he bounced around. I think Martin has something going for them as far as their design is concerned, I hope this move will put some in the driver's seat to improve on those items and not complete retool the entire lineup to past HCA, Winchester, Pearson, New Breed designs. He obviously knows what he is doing and brings a wealth of knowledge to the company, just hope it is utilized in the proper fashion.

FishingandHuntingUSA
06-13-2014, 08:36 AM
That is the problem when ever you bring in some one new, they have in their mind their own ideas and ones over time that have worked for them.
I would imagine they will have some of his influence and hope also some of the Martin influence. We can only wait and see what they come up with.
He does have a wealth of knowledge and I am sure what ever they do it will live up to the Martin name.

Don B
06-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Well one can only hope Martin stops going the way of all the other bow componies, dropping finger bows.
Hoyt is the only company that still build a true finger bow.
The Shadowcat was the most awesome finger bow on the market and they dropped it and brought out the Septer V.
Not to say the Septer V isn't an awesome fingers bow because it is.
I know the market for fingers bows is down, but with all the new people starting to shoot recurves in JOAD and as they get older alot want to shoot compounds with no sights and fingers.
If Martin want to be the market leader with a finger bow they would listen to people that shoot fingers bows.
Bring back a Shadowcat with a solid riser and a ATA of 46-48"
Even if the Seper V was redone to give it a 44" ATA it would be the best fingers bow on the market.

Don.

Durandal
06-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Well one can only hope Martin stops going the way of all the other bow companies, dropping finger bows.
Hoyt is the only company that still build a true finger bow.
The Shadowcat was the most awesome finger bow on the market and they dropped it and brought out the Septer V.
Not to say the Septer V isn't an awesome fingers bow because it is.
I know the market for fingers bows is down, but with all the new people starting to shoot recurves in JOAD and as they get older alot want to shoot compounds with no sights and fingers.
If Martin want to be the market leader with a finger bow they would listen to people that shoot fingers bows.
Bring back a Shadowcat with a solid riser and a ATA of 46-48"
Even if the Seper V was redone to give it a 44" ATA it would be the best fingers bow on the market.

Don.

Stop teasing me with the crazy dreams... a 44" Scepter?.....:D

Never even seen a Shadowcat, would love to try one!!!! Although a 3 piece riser always sounded a bit odd to me.

As for the new guy, impressive resume. Time will tell the rest.

elkslayer4x5
06-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Never even seen a Shadowcat, would love to try one!!!! Although a 3 piece riser always sounded a bit odd to me.

Although it sounds odd, the 3 piece riser was no problem, as they were epoxied and pinned in place, they did remain solid.

Sonny Thomas
06-15-2014, 08:27 AM

I had 3 Shadowcats. A first run 2010 Shadowcat with the silkiest paint job you laid hands on - 41 1/2" ata - long enough for any finger shooter. A misalignment problem allowed a shift of the upper part of the riser, but held rock solid and it shot great. My 2nd 2010 Shadowcat, another 41 1/2" ata, had the much nicer contoured grip. I forget, but 6 or 7 or 8 times I shot high overall with the bow at club 3D, high overall in the only ASA DAIR Indoor Qualifier in the state of Illinois and placed 3rd in 2011 ASA State Championship. The last Shadowcat was a 2011 with 41 1/4" ata and it also had me shoot a few high overalls and place 3rd in the 2012 ASA State Championship.

CLT Bluesman
06-20-2014, 01:23 PM
I am excited!! His resume seems impressive. I am sure he will look at the Martin designs and put his twist on them. He probably cannot wait to take the Martin designs and tweak them. He has probably looked at Martin from a distance and said "Man, I wish I had access to those patents and designs" Now he does. This is such a great move. Martin can only get better. Innovation is the key to marketing and creating buzz. This move can only do that! I am stoked for sure.

Fastpassthrough
09-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Im sure just about everyone will be happy with the new line up. Fast quite and very easy shooting bows is what it is all about.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Welcome aboard!!

Hutch

SixShooter14
09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Im sure just about everyone will be happy with the new line up. Fast quite and very easy shooting bows is what it is all about.
Welcome to Martin....

If you need another engineer, I'd be more than happy to move... ;)

FishingandHuntingUSA
09-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Always a pleasure to have the Martin team come on the forum, please don't be a stranger. :)

Arrow Splitter
09-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Welcome to Martin!!!

A.S

droppixel
09-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Always a pleasure to have the Martin team come on the forum, please don't be a stranger. :)

Agree 110% - having involvement from the top is amazing. Lot of good info here that can be taken back to the company and utilized in any manner they see fit.

bfisher
09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Got to agree with the guys. Welcome to the site, Rich. As staff shooter since 2004, member here since 2005, and past administrator it's good to FINALLY see somebody above the rank of Joel Clark show up here. This is a first, and a welcome one.

NOW!!!! When are you going to quit pussyfooting around and at least let us staff shooters see some better pics and some specs?

Fastpassthrough
09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Agree 110% - having involvement from the top is amazing. Lot of good info here that can be taken back to the company and utilized in any manner they see fit.

This is true without your feed back the end user good or bad we cannot improve!

droppixel
09-24-2014, 11:05 PM
This is true without your feed back the end user good or bad we cannot improve!
Happy to see you guys are open to it and see it this way. We are all excited to see what you guys have in store for the future. Big group of diehards here my friend.

MI1
09-25-2014, 06:36 AM
Happy to see you guys are open to it and see it this way. We are all excited to see what you guys have in store for the future. Big group of diehards here my friend.

I agree.
He's on archery addix as well. Another great site.

Sonny Thomas
09-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Fast, you should post some of those 2015 teasers pics here. I liked Barry crying; "NO FAIR!" ;)