PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into shape

Durandal
08-13-2014, 07:35 PM
The last year has been a little frustrating as far as my skill progression went. Part of that was me getting rid of a bad habit I had in my form and trying out some different anchor points. My work paid off, my release has improved and my anchor point is much more reliable. Although I ended up coming back to the same spot, my hand position has changed and is reliably repeatable.

Now on to my current problem. The issue I corrected on my release means more strain on my fingers. This is compounded by my recent change in limbs which added draw weight and the fact that during the replacement period I had zero practice. I had just gotten to the point where my fingers were comfortable before my technical issues began but now I have to start over. The weight isn't so much that I can't draw the bow, it's just that after say 30 min my fingers are tired and my shooting suffers.

Anyone know any exercises that could help? I'm not too fond of gadgets, Isometric or bodyweight exercises is usually the way to go for this type of thing.

Cheers!

bfisher
08-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Squeeze a tennis ball? Heck I don't know much else you can do for your fingers What release are you using?

typically8
08-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Barry has a 12# sledge hammer you could test out on his shed. :) Gripping something with some weight over and over will surely help in building hand strength. Try focusing on using more of your skeleton and back muscles.

FishingandHuntingUSA
08-14-2014, 07:31 AM
I try to start be turn my bow down as far as it goes and take a month to slowly work my way back up

elkslayer4x5
08-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Shoot until your fingers tire, stop and take a short break, then return and shoot two more ends. Keep increasing your practice time each day. If you shot 30 arrows today, try to shoot 35 tomorrow.

Durandal
08-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Thank you all for the input, I'll try it all see what works best. :D

Sonny Thomas
08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Finger shooter? < making sure here.
Using a glove, tabs?
What is the intended purpose, target, hunting?

Bows aren't machine guns, whether hunting or target shooting. You time space your shots. Like a NFAA 5 spot round is 5 arrows in 4 minutes. Use that 4 minutes for your benefit, not for seeing how fast you can get off 5 shots. 15 to 16 seconds between shots allows strength recovery. Also, 4 to 5 minutes between between ends (5 arrows).

TEN RING
08-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Just pull the bow back 10 time take a little break do it 10 more times take a break and again just as you would be working out in the gym

MM213
08-20-2014, 08:27 PM
I try to start be turn my bow down as far as it goes and take a month to slowly work my way back up

Best suggestion so far.

I use 5 black heavy resistance bands that I cut and bundled together with zip ties. I pull those until I can't take it and start over. But no exercise will ever come close to getting your bow strength up than pulling on a bow.