PDA

View Full Version : draw length question

shanks1
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
I have just purchased a new Martin Saber Compound Bow. I have the draw set at 28" and it is a little to short. 29" is to long. I was wondering if there is anything i can buy or do to get 1/2 inch settings for this. It has the M-Pro cams on it.

thanks

Nick

bengal42
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.martinarchery.com/manuals/2008MartinCompoundBowManual-Small.pdf

Darrenhood
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
With the M-Pro cam, you can change draw modules without moving the draw stop, or move the draw stop without necessarily changing a module.

This is where you can have adjustable percentage of let off.

Mine was at 29". I put on the 30" module without moving the stop. This keeps the bow from dropping as far into the valley at full draw, making for a higher holding weight. of course I soon grew tired of it, moved the stop, increasing the DL & gaining a lower hold weight at full draw.

You should be able to adjust your draw stop post to achieve any draw length you want, it slides in a machined slot in the cam, you can lock it down anywhere.

Then you can keep a shorter draw module in place, for greater let off & lower hold weight.

Or:

Put on a longer length module which will keep the peak weight ramped up longer thru the draw cycle and not drop as far into the valley before hitting the recently adjusted draw stop post. Setting it this way should make the most horse power.

If you bought your bow new, it should have come with a bag full of draw length modules.

Or, you can remove the draw stop post from the cam & rely on the flat part of the chosen draw module to provide the back wall for your draw length, just not as much adjustability that way.

flytier17
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
WOW, Diana, i'm impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might have something in that head after all, besides sand.

flytier17
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't even know enough about that mpro to make that kinda post.

Darrenhood
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
My I.Q. test score didn't have a number, it was the infinity symbol.

I was the only guy on the ranch that took the time to read the book that came with the chainsaw. Next thing you know, I'm the chainsaw guru.

dbd870
03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I see we're starting to get some entertainment on here; does anyone have any popcorn???

bfisher
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Nothing wrong with some humor. Nothing wrong with popcorn either. At least it isn't fattening like sitting in front of this puter.

flytier17
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
My I.Q. test score didn't have a number, it was the infinity symbol.

I was the only guy on the ranch that took the time to read the book that came with the chainsaw. Next thing you know, I'm the chainsaw guru.

Dianahood, your infinity symbol, did it have another symbol in front of it, looks like this: - ?

Well, look on the bright side. It's easy to use the chainsaw, or at least easier than hauling the branches, which is proly what the other guys were stuck doing.

By the way, you said you READ the manual? Sure you didn't watch it on TV? I think you learned off the horror flick "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I sure as heck don't think you can read. The only way you post on here is by an electronic recording microphone.

flytier17
03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I see we're starting to get some entertainment on here; does anyone have any popcorn???

Thats why I put a smilie face after my name in my sig. line. To apologise for all the insults I throw around in the post. If I'm not being insulting, it can be interpereted as "have a nice day".

Except to Dianahood. He should always see this one:mad:

dbd870
03-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I wasn't complaining; I was complimenting! :D

bfisher
03-28-2008, 07:52 AM
I wasn't complaining; I was complimenting! :D

I, for one, realize you weren't complaining. No malice or snubs ever intended here. Life is too short to be mean. We give and get advice and make a few jokes along the way. Alec is in the same boat. We're just average, nice guys.

By the way, welcome to these forums.

Barry

Darrenhood
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Read an article about a dissabled gentleman who had a tab extending from his D loop which he held with his teeth, while drawing the bow with his one remaining arm.

It just occured to me that if FT utilized this method he could easily bend those 10H limbs with his over developed jaw muscles.:D:D:D

Darrenhood
03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Dianahood, your infinity symbol, did it have another symbol in front of it, looks like this: - ?

Well, look on the bright side. It's easy to use the chainsaw, or at least easier than hauling the branches, which is proly what the other guys were stuck doing.

By the way, you said you READ the manual? Sure you didn't watch it on TV? I think you learned off the horror flick "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I sure as heck don't think you can read. The only way you post on here is by an electronic recording microphone.

Farm Equipment Mechanic & Designer, that's me. Sparks flying out of my head at all times. Never been able to help being smarter than most of those around me. Except Bfisher. Once every ten years I bump into someone I can learn from, then I'm in awe.

I meant learn good things. Every day people show me how to destroy perfectly good equipment that should have lasted 10 more years. Guess I should thank them, too. I mean, who'da ever thought to cultivate with a mower? When the mower would last 10 years if the blades only ever cut grass, a guy can easily drop it all the way down so it doubles as a tiller & rock hammer, then it self destructs in less than one season. How brilliant!!! Who'da ever thought? Relatives of yours?:D Good morning gentlemen, and Canadians.

flytier17
03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Dianahood, I heard good news from an inside source. In the next month or so, Martin will be making available the new 50H limbs. They should peak your bow at around 250lbs. Also, they are really inexpensive. Martin's cost of production is next to nothing. All they do is steal the suspension off an 18wheeler, or logging truck. Camo em, and their ready. I expect you will order a set.:D

flytier17
03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I thought you said you learn from those smarter than you. I also thought you said bfisher is smarter, which is definetly true.

In that case, why are you still on this quest for the highest possible draw weight?

I gotta 65lb Slayer. I think that is too much. Not that I can't draw it, I just find it unnecessary. The pantera that is on it's way is only 55, and that's fine for me.

See, I learned from bfisher.

Darrenhood
03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I think you have me on the quest more than I have me on it. Only want the most I can comfortably draw.

With all the learning involved, with all the improvements that come with an initial loss of accuracy, that practice & experimentation with form tighten the groups back up, what makes some folks decide that to advance beyond a given point will have irreversable affects on accuracy?

We all went from not being able to shoot a bow, to gradualy shooting tighter groups every day, to shooting further away, to adding broadheads, to going up in draw weight, to shooting speedier bows when they come out.

Each advancement was like learning to shoot all overagain. The end results were more powerful arrows.

There's folks pulling a lot more poundage than me & enjoying more blast thru from any angle at longer range KE. Guess they just don't come on here for a visit.

Darrenhood
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Years ago I thought about building a cross bow with truck leaf springs, steel cable for string & axle shafts for bolts? Probably need to mount it on a cart & pull it with my mule.

bfisher
03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Too many posts for me to remember and comment on. You guys better calm down or I'm not going to learn you any more.. I know it's all in good fun, but others might not construe it as such. All a smilie or something once in a while.

Darren, be thankful that there are idiots in this world, else you'd have some other job.

And for both you guys, I'm not necessarily smarter than either of you. I just rely on my 35+ years of shooting compound bows for a knowledge base. You know, back when the wheels were round and 20% letoff, steel cables, dacron string, and wood/glass laminated limbs. 4 Wheels, cast risers, aluminum arrows only, flipper rest and berger button. Speeds of 200 fps for hunting. You want to hear more?

Try one someday Darren. 80# limbs and a holding weight of 65# or so. I always look into the future and I see an orthopedic surgeon in yours. Just kidding, of course. I wish no ill will on anybody who shoots a bow.

Alec, you quit picking on Darren. He's a nice guy. He's just too young to know any better. LOL.

Barry

flytier17
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I know, itsjes so fun to rib him.

Can I still call him Dianahood?

bfisher
03-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't care. I don't care what you call me as long as it's not late for dinner.

Barry

Darrenhood
03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Me & Alec are the little kids in the sand box, slapping each other in the face, saying,"Dad likes me best." "No, dad likes me best."

Thanks for the "young" compliment. My body is worn out well beyond it's years. 25 years of kneeling on concrete, wadding myself up in advanced yoga positions to yank on a wrench or drag out a piece of iron that weighs more than me.

Now I've got my first ever desk job, explains all the time spent on here wishing I could be out shooting instead. Sitting here plumping up with a body that's too sore to get out & move faster than a "sneak".

One grandpa lost his mind & still had a pretty good body. The other grandpa had a worn out body with a mind that wouldn't quit. Think I'm taking after him.

Long as I can still draw too much bow, I think I'm OK.

Darrenhood
03-29-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. I prefer Brenda, but you can call me Dianahood.:cool:

flytier17
03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok, Dianahood sounds good to me.

If bfisher doesn't care (As long as it is not late for dinner), we should think of an interesting name for him. Dianahood, you start. Get that so-called brilliant mind workin'.

michigan man
03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
the m-pro cam has 1,2" adjust ments on it.If you have the 28" mod.there are two pegs for the the string.One is for size of the modual.the other one is to gain 1/2" draw.now your cam has all the mod sizes,and the 1/2" setting.final tune with the draw stop.Your bow manual should show it,you need to press the bow to do it.
I shoot the 29 mod with the draw peg for longer draw at 29."

Darrenhood
04-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Bfish is too nice for one of my nicknames. I'll work on it though. Might have named himself....Late For Dinner?

cdfirefighter1
04-01-2008, 09:47 AM
the m-pro cam has 1,2" adjust ments on it.If you have the 28" mod.there are two pegs for the the string.One is for size of the modual.the other one is to gain 1/2" draw.now your cam has all the mod sizes,and the 1/2" setting.final tune with the draw stop.Your bow manual should show it,you need to press the bow to do it.
I shoot the 29 mod with the draw peg for longer draw at 29."

no need to press the bow.. just back off the limb bolts and you can do all you need to the bow without a press..

Darrenhood
04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
no need to press the bow.. just back off the limb bolts and you can do all you need to the bow without a press..

Thanks.Hard for me to remember that one, since it's an extreme NO NO with any other bow. Think I'd still rather use the press most of the time, but there will be a time where backing off the limb bolts will be the best or only way.

Darrenhood
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
The pantera that is on it's way...

I saw a Pantera once & if I remember right, I think I drooled. Thought they weren't available anymore. More info please.

dbd870
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, They quit making them for 08. I think I'd rather have the MOAB unless one ran across a bargan. $$$$$$

bfisher
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Bfish is too nice for one of my nicknames. I'll work on it though. Might have named himself....Late For Dinner?

Not a chance. I'm the chief cook and bottle washer in my house so I decide when and what to eat. Let's just say the wife isn't losing any weight. I won't comment other than that.

As for the Pantera? It's a really nice bow. I had mine with Nitrous X cams on it. Super combo. I used it very sparingly last year set up for 3D. At 27" draw, 53#, 267gr arrow it was doing 287fps.

Later on I swapped out the standard modules for mini-mods as it had C base cams on it so the performance was even better. The B nitrous fits my draw length better. I had notions of swapping the b cams from my ShadowCat,but then I'd have to make up new strings and all. Besides, by the time I thought of this I had already ordered the FireCat and I had somebody interested in the bow---right Alec?

By the way, I am only shooting 37# and 27" draw with the FireCat, using that same 267gr arrow and it's doing about 260fps. And being as my main goal is getting some muscle strengthback I haven't even begun to tweak the bow yet. Maybe in six months I'll be up to speed and shooting it at 50# (maxed). Then I expect speeds of 290-295 fps.

I might get froggy one of these days and stick the B Nitrous cams on it just to see how they compare. I have all summer to play and already have another bow for hunting anyway.

Barry