PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Draw-Force Curve?

gpalma
06-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I have looked about the www and have drawn a blank trying to find a graph of the draw/force curve for the Furious X cam. Anyone have it or a link to it...it is appreciated.

Have committed to buy one of these sight-unseen based upon the printed propoganda in the Martin catalog, hehe. They state a longer valley and I am hoping it will be not as radical as many of the cams that exist today with an abrupt letoff and short valley.

My last Martin's purchased new were a Dynabow and the original Jaguar with laminated limbs and round wheels. So, this Furious X thing is kinda new to me :)

scepterman30x
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Good luck. If us Martin afficianados don't know where one is I don't think you will.......However basically the Furious cam is the Fury cam with draw length adjustments so if you can scrounge up an old 2003 catalog you can look at the Fury cams DFC and it should be about the same.

flytier17
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry, don't have one.

I have shot the S4 and the Mystic. I found them to be smooth and firm throughout the draw. It ramps up steadily, bit not too abruptly, and ras a nice elongated rollover into the valley without staying at peak for too long.

gpalma
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys. Kinda pumped about receiving this. Too many of today's bows are all balls-out speed and have these extremely narrow letoffs. Creep forward in the slightest and it'll suck your shoulder out of joint. As a for instance, the only relatively modern bows that I've found to not feel quite that way are the Hoyt Accuwheel, the Diamond Liberty cam and the older Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. Great for us old foggies that still try to shoot a Stan the old fashioned way.

gpalma
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
If anyone has appropriate software, what will this bow do for velocity at 27" draw, 50# and 55# using a 288Gr arrow? Also a 320Gr arrow.

I appreciate it kindly. ;)

Hoping to stay above 250fps...but I can live with a bit less.

razorjack
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php

gpalma
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I'd already tried the online java based tools and they are "generously optomistic". I am coming up with 295 ft/sec and that won't be happening in any of our lifetimes.

My TAP program won't estimate velocity that I can see. Won't be dashing out to purchase the software to run the numbers through OT2 either.

My guess is more likely 250-260ft/sec @ 55# w/288Gr arrow.

scepterman30x
06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
maybe i can shed a little light on what you may get. I have a S3 elite with Nos Acams with mini mods at 27" draw and 60 lbs. With a 293 grain arrow I get about 255fps. So take into account the Furious cam is alittle slower than the NOS cam but the Mystic I believe has a lower BH and a shorter AtoA you will probably get about the same out of a 288 grain arrow...minus maybe 12-15 fps dropping from 60 to 55 lbs. So to be optimystic I would say expect about 245-250 fps.
Let me know how close I am.:D

gpalma
06-10-2008, 06:04 AM
I will do that...it may be a while mind you. I'm hearing that the OT2 software gets a person real close to actual chrono velocities. Just cannot bring myself to spend the extra jing being the Guinea pig when I have a decent tape program already, LOL. But, the speed is whatever it is and I'll learn to live with it.

This whole shoot-through cable system has me real curious as well. The rumor has it that the rest has to be out quite a ways to get the bow to tune on the Mystic. I can live with that. If it becomes an issue, switching to the cable guard will not be an issue either. At least it doesn't have that "unique" setup like the Barnsdale bow where the center of the bow itself is contrary to everyone else in the industry and requires 2 different sized cams.

flytier17
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I have found my Slayer and Pantera to both be the easiest bows to tune by far. The NOS X system adjusts the same way as the Furious X system. You can elimilate cam lean and limb twist completely, and time the cams too. All without a Bowpress as well. When you get your bow, let us know, and one of us will take the time to explain a really easy method of doing this.

I found that once my cams were timed, My bow shot a bullet-hole tear right away. I got lucky (or good) with the nock point. THere is no nock travel at all on a properly timed dual cam, so it is real easy. Only extensive tuning I ahd to do was fiddle with arrow length to get the correct spine. THis involved cutting my arrows down 1/4" at a time till I reached 27" to get the best spine. I still have to tune my arrows for the Broadheads, but the bow is tuned well.

gpalma
08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Was finally able to clock this Mystic using a 288Gr arrow, 27" draw and at 52#

255FPS

flytier17
08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Not bad. How do you like the way it shoots?

gpalma
08-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Not bad. How do you like the way it shoots?

The bow is very solid on the shot. I have installed a vibration stopper between the X cables and it helped significantly regarding shock and noise.

The bow holds very stabile for me and I have shot very well with it when I can get on a roll regarding a practice regimine. When I do, it has recorded some extremely fine groups back at 50-70 yds. Easily as good as my eyes are capable of using a .010" Viper scope.

Recognize that the only bows that I have shot in recent history are a Diamond Liberty, a Hoyt Striker w/AccuWheel and a Bowtech Pro 40 Wheelie. It is less prone to torque than any of these, however recoil is slightly higher than the Striker and somewhat less than the Pro 40. It is very close in performance to the Liberty and definitely better than the Pro 40.

The draw-force curve is very similar to the AccuWheel, with a slightly narrower valley and a decidedly harder stop on the back end.

It takes some playing around to get the timing perfect and to get the bow feeling tight. Once you achieve that however, it has stayed in tune for me and it is pleasant to shoot with a very consistent feel.

gpalma
08-01-2008, 08:22 PM
My only real concern at this point is that the bow has a very short sight window. With my (very low) anchor, it has caused me some issues with a 20yd setting. If the sight window were 1/4" higher minimum, it woudn't hurt my feelings.