PDA

View Full Version : Moab Pro Hunter or Bengal

LondonDave
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
My 16 yr old son has decided he wants a compound. Last year was his first year hunting and he was using a crossbow (Excalibur Vortex).

My local shop sells the Moab Pro Hunter and the Bengal for the same price. Is there any major differences between the 2 or is it going to come down to feel?

He's a tall skinny kid (6'2" and probably about 165 lbs) if that makes any difference. We'll probably be looking at something with a 50 lb draw weight.

Thanks,

Dave

Montalaar
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey. =)

Get your son to the shop and let him try.

Both bows, the Moab and the firecat are using the same riser. The only difference is the cam.

The Moab will come with the MPro single cam. This cam is very smooth as everyone is saying.
The Firecat will come with the CAT cam. This Hybrid Cam is faster but also alot of harsher.

You should decide upon what you like more and what you need more. :)

dbd870
07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
He is asking about the Bengal and MOAB. Those both have the same cam. I usually don't push anyone one direction or another but......:D I really wonder how a Martin Pro dealer sells any Bengals; hold the 2 side by side, the Bengal is a brick. The MOAB give you far more for about (or in your case exactly) the same price: the limb cup system, the full VEM shelf, and definitely less weight.

LondonDave
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
He is asking about the Bengal and MOAB. Those both have the same cam. I usually don't push anyone one direction or another but......:D I really wonder how a Martin Pro dealer sells any Bengals; hold the 2 side by side, the Bengal is a brick. The MOAB give you far more for about (or in your case exactly) the same price: the limb cup system, the full VEM shelf, and definitely less weight.

Thanks for the info. I think we're going to the bow shop this afternoon to have a look. I wondered about the Moab (Pro Series) vs. the Bengal (Gold Series). I figured there had to be something better about it. I could see if there was a price gap but in this case there is not.

Dave

Montalaar
07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Oops.

Sorry, i was on the way to get my pizza so i just saw 'moab' and... .. .... :P

dbd870
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I've done things like that myself. :(

Have fun shopping; just so you know I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is. The bow going into the woods after those pesky whitetails this fall: a MOAB. ;)

LondonDave
07-28-2008, 04:25 PM
We went out to the shop. They had a Moab but not a Bengal. They did have a Sabre though. Moab is a much nicer bow than the Sabre although the Sabre is not too shabby either.

They didn't have a Moab in his weight. They apparently have some on order that will be in any day. We'll go back when they get them in and have one set up for him to shoot. I'm sure he'll be buying it.

The shop sells Martin, PSE, Matthews, Hoyt and Bowtech also. The Martins seem to be the best bang for the buck. They sell the Moab for $349. You can't touch anything in any of the other brands for less than $500 and up to $800.

Dave

flytier17
07-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh, Absolutely! I had 2 $799 Mathews that I would personally naver get again. And the MOAB will rival the Drenalin in performance too, at a fraction of the cost.

Martin doesn't charge you for the big name. That and new eco-friendlly processes with less waste keeps the cost below the other brands. They do not have any less performance or bells and whisles than a $900 Bowtech for example, MOAB included!

Both my Martins are top-of-the-line performance with a proven history of success and reliability. Martin is still one of the top names in the Target industry, and holds a couple records too. They are always on the top in a league when in the hands of a shooter who knows what he's about... The only reason companies like Mathews and Hoyt can claim more top spots in tourneys is because there are way more of them.

Your son should not look at this as a "Bargain Bow", or mediocre-level bow, or a starter outfit. If he wants to upgrade later, thats up to him. Maybe he will get into 3-D or so. But this MOAB is a top-of-the-line hunting bow that will give him many seasons of great performance and reliability if he takes care of it.

Alec

bfisher
07-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I won' add a whole lot to what these guys said, but would only advise you to go with the MOAB if the price is the same. Just a better bang for the buck. Frankly, $349 is dirt cheap for a MOAB. Retail is $479 and most places are selling them for $429 to $449. Regular retail on the Bengal is $399.

LondonDave
07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
I think he/we are pretty sold on the Moab. We picked up and handled a lot of differet bows (all the brands previously mentioned) and the Moab probably felt the best. It's light, it feels balanced and it just feels good. Even the Saber felt better than a lot of the more expensive bows.

The great thing is the we are both the same height and reach so I'll be able to shoot it too.:D

Thanks again for the advise.

Dave

dbd870
07-29-2008, 03:46 AM
The great thing is the we are both the same height and reach so I'll be able to shoot it too.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

I bought my MOAB for less than I've heard most talk about but not that low. That's an incredible price. I might buy 2!

LondonDave
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Just a little follow up guys. My son Riley bought the Moab. The shop got their shipment the next day. We went and picked it up and got it outfitted for him. He got a 45-60 pound bow he put on a Cobra 3 pin sight, Trophy Taker drop away rest, G5 peep, Bohning 6 arrow quiver, Donker 5" stabilzer and a Tru-Fire Judge release. Shooting Easton Epic 400 arrows.

Right now he's got it turned right down at 45 pounds but it should be too long before he can start cranking it up a little. It's a nice shooting bow and he's doing fairly well with it. He still needs to work on consitency and getting a solid anchor point that he can hit everytime.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dave

bfisher
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
VGood for your son. Just be sure and get the draw length right. There is lots of info posted by Nuts&Bolts over on www.archerytalk.com that can lead you in the right direction for this.

Secondly, just how long a draw is he shooting and how long are the arrows? Rason I ask is that those arrows (400 spine) are on the stiff side for his setup. Don't get real hyper about it. He should be shooting a 500 spine, but it shouldn't hurt to be stiff.

What's more important is getting the draw length right and then learning decent, consistent form. And with a 60# peak he should not have to upgrade for quite a long time. You made a good choice.

LondonDave
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Draw length is at 29" and arrows are 29 1/4" (I believe). The guy at the shop said they are a little on the stiff side but set him up with that weight with the thought that he would be turning up the poundage before too long.

Draw length is good. The shop took the time to have him make repeated pulls and checked his form. He's anchoring with the knuckle on his index finger under his ear lob. He seems to be having a little trouble with the peep right now. He's not 100% consistent and sometimes can't see through the peep. He'll get it though.

Dave

bfisher
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
OK, no sense in me saying much more over the I-net. Sounds like you have a pretty decent shop and enough self knowledge to get you both on your way. Hope your son enjoys the bow and that yuou enjoy having him as a shooting and hunting buddy. And for you---enjoy his enthusiasm. He'll be grown and maybe gone before you can blink.

bowgramp59
10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
if you can get a moab for the same price as the bengal,get it.they both are great bows, i have both . my dealer charged me over $100.00 more for the moab, i don't know why but when i go hunting i always grab the bengal. i think it draws a little smoother than the moab. the moab is lighter, 3.6 lbs. the bengal is 4.4 lbs. some say the extra wt. helps stabalizes the bow. you want go wrong with either.

2008 bengal
2008 moab