PDA

View Full Version : Storing bow

Montalaar
08-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Heya, just another questions.

How do you store your bow if you will not shoot it for quite a while? Do you just hang it on the wall or something like that or do you disassemble it?

hawgslayer
08-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Bob Lee, the bowyer who made my bow, suggests that your hang your bow (strung) from a bow rack. Hang it from the string in such a way that the bow can swing free. Not hitting the wall. If your not going to shoot it for a few weeks or months, unstring it and lay it flat. ( on its side, no tension on the limbs this way). Don't unstring the bow and then stand it in a corner. You can damage the limbs over a period of time.
I have not untrung my bows in the last 2 or 3 years. I shoot a few times a week and check the brace height a few times a month. So far I haven't had any trouble with them. Brace height is good and they have the same speed as when I got them.

Hope the info helps.

Hawgslayer......................:D

scepterman30x
08-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Bob Lee, the bowyer who made my bow, suggests that your hang your bow (strung) from a bow rack. Hang it from the string in such a way that the bow can swing free. Not hitting the wall. If your not going to shoot it for a few weeks or months, unstring it and lay it flat. ( on its side, no tension on the limbs this way). Don't unstring the bow and then stand it in a corner. You can damage the limbs over a period of time.
I have not untrung my bows in the last 2 or 3 years. I shoot a few times a week and check the brace height a few times a month. So far I haven't had any trouble with them. Brace height is good and they have the same speed as when I got them.

Hope the info helps.

Hawgslayer......................:D

Hawgslayers advice is not at all incorrect. However I believe it is over kill on the part about storing your bow if you are not going to shoot it in a while. All you need to do is back the limbs out about three to four turns from max and hang it per Hawgslayers insrtuctions.

bfisher
08-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Hawgslayer is making reference to traditional bows so he is correct to that point. With compounds it's different. Almost anything will work. The ones I won't be using for a while I just hang from a hook or leave them in a case laying flat.

If you are going to store the bow for an extended period, you could take a few turns off the limbs just as a precaution. The extra weight won't hurt the limbs, but might help the string/cable last longer.

I've personally had bows over ten years with full weight on the limbs and they might lose about 2# over that time. And that was with older bows with wood/glass laminated limbs.

Truthfully, there isn't musch you need to be concerned about except the possiblity of driving a truck over it or something catastrophic like that.

hawgslayer
08-01-2008, 11:04 AM
:eek:

You know what gents, I forgot that I wasn't on TRADGANG.COM. Thats TRADITIONAL bows only on that site. I guess it was a "SENIOR MOMENT".
Sorry for giving out trad equipment info to a compound shooter. Once again, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Hawgslayer

scepterman30x
08-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Hawgslayer is making reference to traditional bows so he is correct to that point. With compounds it's different. Almost anything will work. The ones I won't be using for a while I just hang from a hook or leave them in a case laying flat.

If you are going to store the bow for an extended period, you could take a few turns off the limbs just as a precaution. The extra weight won't hurt the limbs, but might help the string/cable last longer.

I've personally had bows over ten years with full weight on the limbs and they might lose about 2# over that time. And that was with older bows with wood/glass laminated limbs.

Truthfully, there isn't musch you need to be concerned about except the possiblity of driving a truck over it or something catastrophic like that.
I should have picked up on that when he mentioned "the bowyer Bob Lee" built his bow.