PDA

View Full Version : 2006 P3 for $399 or 2008 Firecat?

logtamelk
08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
First of all, hello to everyone. I used to be an avid archer in my youth then joined the military and didn't shoot much for at least 16 years; now I'm getting back into it. I went traditional for a little while not liking all the gadgetry that was involved with the compounds; wanted to go back to the basics.
Anyway, I'm back into shooting modern bows and just bought a used Martin 2006 P3 (Dynacam). Once I got the peep in the right spot and the draw length correct it turns out to be a really nice bow. I paid $399 for the bow, Impact Pendulum sight, Whisker Bisquit, sling and stabilizer; did I get ripped off? I couldn't find any bows to compare it to on ebay or online so I really don't know what one should cost. It seems to shoot really well.
The Martin dealer I bought it from had nothing but praises for the P3 and he was the one that originally sold it to the guy that traded it in on a newer Martin Bow. I myself am now thinking about trading the P3 in on a 08' Firecat because the dealer told me that he would give me what I paid for it if I wanted to trade it in on a Firecat since I've only had it a month so it would only cost me around another $150 or so to get an 08' Firecat (and he's got a nice new Firecat just sitting there on the rack!)

So, I guess my questions are;

(1) Was $399 a halfway good deal on a 2006 P3, etc..
(2) Would you take the trade up to a 08' Firecat (still have to buy sights, rest, etc..)
(3) Has anyone owned both bows and compared?
(4) Since I couldn't find any used 2006 P3's for sale to compare with my bow does this mean it is a good shooting bow that nobody wants to part with?

Thanks for your time

bfisher
08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
So, I guess my questions are;

(2) Would you take the trade up to a 08' Firecat (still have to buy sights, rest, etc..)
(4) Since I couldn't find any used 2006 P3's for sale to compare with my bow does this mean it is a good shooting bow that nobody wants to part with?

Thanks for your time[/QUOTE]

(1) Maybe a little stiff, but not terrible if it's in good shape.
(2) Trade quick, while the deal still lasts.
(3) Yes I presently own both bows, but my P3 is a target model with Nitrous X cams. I wil not own a single cam bow now that I can have dual or Binary cams. I shot singles for 7 years and that was long enough.
(4) Yes mine's a nice shooting bow, but that doesn't mean it isn't for sale. Make me an offer. I don't fall in love with inanimate objects. They are just "things". To me it's just another bow. I've owned a lot of them over the last 35 years.

Montalaar
08-19-2008, 02:55 AM

Thanks for your time

Let's see what i can say...

(1) I think it is acceptable. The prices for older bows are much higher where i live. You could pay the same thing in without any gadgets

(2) If you like the Firecat -> Trade.

(3) No, just had both in my hands. Got an other bow instead. :P

(4) The shooter is important, not the bow. ( :P )

dbd870
08-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Hee, hee; Barry doesn't like single cams does he. :D I'd try out the Firecat and see how you like it. If you like it better than your P3 do it. If you don't, keep the P3 - nothing wrong with it.

logtamelk
08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all your replies so far. I am also thinking about an 08' Slayer; so lots of thinking to do!!

flytier17
08-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I am a dual fan too.

1 I think it was a good deal considering they sold for $749 here new. Good bow, pro-series too.

2 No, I would be looking for elite limbs and Nitrous cams to have a similar bow to Barry. The Firecat is a bit too short A2A for me, and a bit too light. I would however trade it up to a Slayer.

3 No, shot both though. Again, my preference is the p3. But with the Nitrous. THe Dyna is not bad though. I shot that version too.

4 the p3 is a great bow. Shoots awesome. Personal preference is the only other deciding factor on how well it shoots.

flytier17
08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Barry, will your P3 reach my DL of 30". Whats the peak weight? Condition? Specs? Yes, you have me thinking again...

bfisher
08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Barry, will your P3 reach my DL of 30". Whats the peak weight? Condition? Specs? Yes, you have me thinking again...

Why the hell does everybody but me have a 30" draw. You guys suck. I gotta bust my butt to get any speed!!!!!!!!

The answer is "NO". It's got A Base Nitrous X, Bucknasty strings. I think it's only good up to 28". Elite grip. Specs? I don't know. 38" and 8" brace--something like that. Not a scratch on it. Factory strings come with it. Shot very little.

I ain't gettin up and measure everything. You ain't buyin it anyway. Too short for you.

OK, I was close. 38 1/4" X 7 3/4". All black (target bow). 55# limbs just like the Pantera. I might take it out and blow the dust off it tonight. It's a dram to shoot and it's been gathering dust too long.

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Why the hell does everybody but me have a 30" draw. You guys suck. I gotta bust my butt to get any speed!!!!!!!!

Oh, i have 31,x + D-Loop. Believe me.. it sucks... Most bow manufacturers design their bows up to 30" of draw length. Some bows can be customized to 30,5 or something like that, but Martin is one of the only companies that make bows wchich will absolutely fit me (but that was not the only reason to get one. =) ).

If Alec could get B Base Cams it should be no problem for him. :P

dbd870
08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
28" for me, which hurts some - you're 27" right?, so is my daughter.

bfisher
08-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh, i have 31,x + D-Loop. Believe me.. it sucks... Most bow manufacturers design their bows up to 30" of draw length. Some bows can be customized to 30,5 or something like that, but Martin is one of the only companies that make bows wchich will absolutely fit me (but that was not the only reason to get one. =) ).

If Alec could get B Base Cams it should be no problem for him. :P

I just did some checking and I had forgotten that I put mini-mods on it last year. It only makes about 26", which is what I had to shoot last year---temporarily. The last time I shot it was about 8 months ago. Since then I've been able to stretch out a bit more, back to my normal 27".

Now if Alec could use B base, as you suggest, it just so happens that I have a 2005 ShadowCat SE with B Nitrous X on it. He could get desperate and buy them both, swap parts around and come up with something unique. And believe me, I can make him one heck of a deal.

Cmon guys. Help me out here. I could almost go on another scuba trip with the money.

Montalaar
08-21-2008, 02:02 AM
No money any longer here. Just got a second Razor-X in ghost flame red. :)

I wonder about your bows, Barry. Do you have a seperate building just to store your bows? Seems like you have a copy of every model that was ever produced. :P

bfisher
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I must be getting senile. If need be I can always take the regular mods off the ShadowCat. I can't believe I don't think of these things in a timely manner. Sure would save me a lot of typing.

Simon, don't think I have a lot of bows. I've had a ton of them over the last 35 years, but right now I only have four. The oldest is a 2003 Pearson Freedom which I got when I shot and repped for them. I shot it less than a year and then gave it to my son when I got with Martin. It's been hanging on the rubber rollers of my Apple bowpress (which I haven't used in five years) ever since.

I have three Martin bows. I have to sell off the ones I can't or don't shoot any more. Of course, I procrastinate. Not out of nastolgia or anything. I have no real love of bow or other inanimate objects. They are just "things" which I can get more of. I just don't take the time to list them. And believe me. I have gobs of "stuff" that needs to go.

Actually I give a lot of my older stuff away, usually to some youngster just starting out that has no money or some other needy person. It isn't doing me any good laying in the drawer.