PDA

View Full Version : martin saber 50lb bow questions

flintforever
08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I just came across the martin saber seem to be a bow that will fit my needs.
I went to there home page a see the new design cams for easy drawing.
I would like to get back into bow hunting this year I had neck surgery last dec:07 and drawing the bow is a main issue for me.I also see there bow peak weight are not adjustable 50,60 70 lbs am i correct or can the weight be adjusted by turning the limb screw in or out.
I was looking at the 50lb max more then enough for deer hunting .I like the longer brace height and the over all price on the bow will not break the bank.
Speed: 310 (70#, 30, 350 gr.)
Let-Off: 80% (optional 65%)
Draw Lengths: 25-30
Brace Height: 7.5
Weight: 4 lbs.
Axle Length: 32
I wonder if they have the spec: on a 50 lbs max;
I like to know how the draw length is adjustable I see the newer model bow have modular on draw length how is the martin set up to change draw length
I like to here from guy that own the bow what are your reviews on the bow?

flintforever
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
I forgot to ask what is martin warranty on the bow??

Montalaar
08-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Martin offers Lifetime Warranty. After 10 Years 50% of the list price.

The draw weight can be adjustet by turning the limb bolt out. The draw weight range is 15lbs. If you get a 50lbs bow you can turn it down to 35lbs.
I guess the speed with 50lbs and 30" could be around 250 or something around that. You would have to use a chronograph to see what is the real speed.

If you buy a news martin bow you will get the whole set of modules to change the draw length. Just remove the old module and change to the one that will fit for your draw length.

Never owned the bow.

dbd870
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
The MPro cam is a very gentle cam and should work well for your situation. Have a couple of MPro cammed bows but not the Saber.

bfisher
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Try one out at a shop. You'll love the draw cycle and the bow that comes with it.

By the way. What did you have done to your neck? I have had 3 surgeries on mine in the last 15 years so maybe we have something in common.

flintforever
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I had C5 threw C7 removed
I still have one more bad disc C3 but the surgeon did remove the spurs on C3
I have one small plate in the center of my neck held in place with 3 screws from C4 to C7 (fiber wad on a plate) and they went threw the front total time was 2 hours and I was home the next day
The pain is about 60 percent better more live able then before and 1/2 the medicine then I use too take
I still have good days and bad day but a whole lot better then what it use to be;I think I went for about 8 years tried everything out there surgery was the last resort
I starting to have lower back pain (which I never had) and purchased a inversion table all I can say the best $120.00 bucks I ever spent
I taken a lot of deer with the bow up until 1999 and i feel a lot better and even ask the Dr. about getting back into some bow hunting :He says just don't over do it and you will be fine.I just got back into shooting my flinters using a down loaded charge of 65 grains of black powder also the PAST RECOIL PAD which helps a lot.
I had the surgery done on DEC:2007 can't tell you what pain i went threw some days
I am 61 now exercise 3 time a week (light) just to tone the muscles and getting back into shape
The scary part for me I never been in a hospital until last year operation.

flintforever
08-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I had to be 3 hours to night in the pro shop looking at the martin saber and I did purchase it seem to be a smooth drawing bow but a tad on extra bow weight compared to the parker but $200.00 cheaper I can live with that.
The pro shop set the bow up paper tuned change modular to a 28" draw set peak weight to 50 lbs and i shot the bow at 20 yards 3 shots in the bull;not bad for not picking up a bow in 10 years.
I just seem to get my timing back and get a little more steady with my bow arm but practice I will improve : I like the bow and few FPS slower then the cheeta also is $50.00 more added to the package
He did give me a good package deal better then the package that comes from the factory.
He did add true glow 5 pin sight,true glow arrow holder (5 shafts) ,martin wisker B rest,Sims limb saver shock stabilizer and wrist rope,and 1/2 doz shaft with tips 100 grain,peep sight ,string leeches
Arrows he set me up with beman 400 at 29 1/4" 8.4 gpi I seem to have to add 1 1/4" only because I anchor under my chin and use a kisser button so I get a little more on the draw
$440.00
I have to think what broad head to use I like and use the thunderheads 125 grain and had good luck with the laser pro from cabelas:I shot the thunderheads for years and have to say they shoot excellent never did plane on me
I will be looking for a 100 grain broad head

bfisher
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds to me like the deal was pretty good. Go with it.

Now do your self anther favor. Take off and go over to www.archerytalk.com. Check out a lot of "shooting form" threads, but particular attention to advice from a guy uses the name Nut&Bolts. He's a real guru on shooting form.

Reason I mention this is because of what you said about your draw length. One of the most critical things about getting the best accuracy and ease of drawing is getting your draw length down to a Tee. By that I mean within
1/4". Most people draw much too long and this throws the upper body out of alignment. This all carries over and affects the spine, meaning lower back. It also affects how much you use your neck muscles.

The reason I mention all this is because I know. I shoot a great deal and have learned this the hard way.

So what's going on with your neck? Decenerative disk disease? An injury? I just had my latest surgery July 19, 2007. Similar to yours. Went in the front and removed the disk between C5 & C6. Bone chip and a titanium plate holding the vertebre together. In 2000 they went in the back and cleaned out bone spurs on 3 disks. 1993 they did the first surgery and fused C4 & C5 together. 2005 they did 3 disks in the lower back. 2006 I had arthroscopy on the right knee. OH, I didn't say it but I just turned 61 myself so I'm quite familar with getting old and the body going to hell.

As if the neck thing last year wasn't bad enough I suffered bout of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis which led to about a 40% loss of my left Deltoid muscles and shoulder. This time last year I was struggling with a 15# compound bow and shooting 18" groups at 15 yards. Today I'm back up to around 45# and the groups are in the 2"" range at 20 yards. Thinking about it, the hard cams on my FireCat would probably be the equivalent of shooting about a 55# MPro cam so it's not that bad. I got the speed without all the weight.

It's been a long road back and the surgeon says it will be about another 1 to 1 1/2 years till I get my total strength back. I'm not complaining. This is just the hand that fate dealt me. Just relting this so you would have an idea that I definitely can relate to the pain and suffering you have gone through and may still be experiencing.

So as long as you started coming to this site. You may as well stick around. You're among friends here, so to speak.

Hope you enjoy your new bow. It is a pretty good value.

flintforever
08-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Decenerative disk disease of the cervical

Jake-the-snake
08-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Hey if you are looking for a great broadhead go with a Slick Trick, they fly just like my field points, i didnt have to adjust my sights or my rest for the slicktricks

flintforever
08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I had to be 3 hours to night in the pro shop looking at the martin saber and I did purchase it seem to be a smooth drawing bow but a tad on extra bow weight compared to the parker but $200.00 cheaper I can live with that.
The pro shop set the bow up paper tuned change modular to a 28" draw set peak weight to 50 lbs and i shot the bow at 20 yards 3 shots in the bull;not bad for not picking up a bow in 10 years.
I just seem to get my timing back and get a little more steady with my bow arm but practice I will improve : I like the bow and few FPS slower then the cheeta also is $50.00 more added to the package
He did give me a good package deal better then the package that comes from the factory.
He did add true glow 5 pin sight,true glow arrow holder (5 shafts) ,martin wisker B rest,Sims limb saver shock stabilizer and wrist rope,and 1/2 doz shaft with tips 100 grain,peep sight ,string leeches
Arrows he set me up with beman 400 at 29 1/4" 8.4 gpi I seem to have to add 1 1/4" only because I anchor under my chin and use a kisser button so I get a little more on the draw
$440.00
I have to think what broad head to use I like and use the thunderheads 125 grain and had good luck with the laser pro from cabelas:I shot the thunderheads for years and have to say they shoot excellent never did plane on me
I will be looking for a 100 grain broad head

Arrow Selection;I was wondering if this is the correct arrow spine for the above set up
I been over at the Beman chart it seem correct but I would like to ask the pros
I never shot carbon always aluminum like the easton xx75 and game getters
I also here from or read lot of new shooters use 75 or 85 grain heads
I wonder if my Beman 400 are spine correct for 100 grain broad heads
The most I will increase the bow poundage this year maybe 3 additional pounds total out at 53lbs peak

bfisher
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Arrow Selection;I was wondering if this is the correct arrow spine for the above set up
I been over at the Beman chart it seem correct but I would like to ask the pros
I never shot carbon always aluminum like the easton xx75 and game getters
I also here from or read lot of new shooters use 75 or 85 grain heads
I wonder if my Beman 400 are spine correct for 100 grain broad heads
The most I will increase the bow poundage this year maybe 3 additional pounds total out at 53lbs peak

Your 400 spined arrows are a little on the stiff side at 28" and 50#, or even 53#, but it does leave some room for raising the poundage over time. I shoot 27" and a 500 spine I can get them to fly up to about 60#, depending on how aggressive the cams are. In your case you're probably getting near the upper limit of a 500 spine so a 400 should not hurt. Only thing you're likely to lose is a little speed as the arrow is heavier.

Considering this your 100 gr heads should work OK. You will probably have the option of using a 125gr if you like. One reason I can get 500's to fly so well is that I use a 75gr head myself. Not because there is anything magical about them. Just that I've had them for almost 6 years now and there is nothing really all that much better with all the newer heads that have come out. If you can get them to fly well andhit where you aim then that ids all that's required. Besides, in my case, I can tune well enough that they always fly where my field points do (it's an obcession) and I usually only need to take about 20 practice shots a year with them. Then if I'm lucky maybe one or two during season. Just not much reason to put out a lot of money for something new when what I have is just as good. I'll pay the extra money for something I can use all year long, like a quality sight or custom strings.

flintforever
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I did get a chance to get to the out to the park range to day and see how the new bow shoots: excellent
I had to remember or get back to my timing hold and follow threw but after a doz or so shots it all started to come together.
I set up at 15 yards and shot about 40 shafts and the last few ends a real tight group.
I also tried a new target my old target has to be some were about 25 years old and it ready for the trash can ;I did some research and seen a few clips on you tube and went with the bag target:Man you can remove the arrows with 2 fingers with out any problems.
I could of or should of cut my carbon arrow a little shorter but I like the end of the shaft with a broad head to be at the front of the bow shelve or in front of my bow hand
The cams are set up at 27" but with the whisker biscuit behind the bow I added 2" for a total 29" shaft

bfisher
09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Don't worry about the length of the shaft. Your arrows might be just a bit on the stiff side, so if you cut them shorter they will be even stiffer. This might cause some irratic arrow flight with broadheads.

Now that you can shoot you need to tune the bow for your broadheads. This will be the ultimate test to see if the arrows are spined right.

Take this for what it's worth, but having been out of action for so long you're better off to just work on getting that shooting form back up to par. Good form means a lot more than perfectly tuned equipment. Both are important, but you'll be able to tune more precisely once you have the body in good order.

Good luck.

flintforever
09-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I shot yesterday first couple of shafts at 15 yards were on target but not a great group.I started to get the things back together and after a total of 40 shots it started to clover leaf the shafts.I did not move the target back and did stayed at 15 yards and more then likely a few more session at 15 yard until it all come back(timing).
I have to say I like the Martin saber quite smooth drawing bow a good value dollars wise
I feel it to day a little stiff more then likely for a start i will shoot 2 times a week for a few weeks to build up to it and stay at 50 lbs for this season or may increase 1 turn on the limbs for a 53LB total
I double check the arrow weight seem in the ball park at 29" 244 grain weight
without the broad head add 100 grains will be at 344
I did see on the chart the shorter the shaft 27" or 28" now the arrow spine is too stiff but the 29" is in the ball park
I am going to try some 125 grain field tip also now I am shoot 100 grains arrow fly excellent with the 100 grains but a little more distance like 30 yards target may or may not change the arrow flight