PDA

View Full Version : 07 Cougar Draw #

cfuhrer
08-20-2008, 01:54 AM
I ran a search but didn't see anything addressing my question. I have an 07 Cougar that I absolutely love. I had my draw weight set at 45 pounds, which happens to be the peak weight for my SE limbs. I was planning on hunting elk next month but the minimum draw weight for elk is 50 pounds. Does anyone know of any tricks to eek five more pounds out of my bow? I have M Pro Single Cams. At this point I am willing to try just about anything or I could end up having to shoot my boyfriends *gag* PSE. Let me know if you need/want any other stats on my bow. Thanks.

dbd870
08-20-2008, 04:05 AM
You could preload the limbs a little more but I'm not sure about getting 5#, I've never played that game. Obviously a limb change would get you there, and you should have enough time to get it done.

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
If you get another set of SE Limbs which will lead to 50lbs or more this should be the way to go.

You can add raw weight by preloading the limb a bit more. I am not sure if this will work for you. Further i can not advise you to do so as the limb can break.

cfuhrer
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the advce guys, I will set about finding the heavier set of limbs.
I am not familiar with preloading the limbs, can you give me a short description? I have no intention of doing it (I love my bow and dont want to end up having to replace it) but want to know what it is in case it comes up again.

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Your draw weight results of the preload of the limb.

The limb is just a piece of the bow which is straight (or in the case of the Elite-Limbs a little bit recurved). If you put preload on the limbs you are changing the deflection of the limb. Every bow and every limb is designed for one deflection where it reaches a special draw weight. We do not know how much deflection that is for the Martin limbs.

By adding more preload to your bow you have to increase the deflection of the limbs in decreasing the length of the cables and the string.
Because we do not know how much we can 'overlaod' the limb we will better do not do it. Some bows have their limbs less preloaded than others so there is less risk of a limb failure. I would NEVER think about preloading my Razor-X limb more than the manual says as it has really much deflection.

Hard to explain for me as a foreigner.

bfisher
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
If I may ask, what cam(s) is on your bow. On the bottom limb sticker there should be the peak poundage the bow can be set for. What is it? Usually Martin bows come rated (in your case) for 35-50, with 50# being written on the sticker. Why does your bow only make 45#? If the sticker is marked 50# then you can probably safely preload the limbs a bit more.

To expand a bit, to add more preload you have to twist up the string and cable more than it is now. With a single cam bow the string is about twicw as long as the cable, so add twice as many twists to the string as you do to the cable. This preloads the limbs more and keeps the cam orienttion and draw length approximately the same.

You could concievably put about 5-10 twists in just the cable. This might get you there, but be aware that in doing so you'll be increasing the bow's draw length some as well.

As already mentioned the best long range solution is look for another set of limbs.

Here is what you do. Back the limbs out till you can see the butt of the limb where it fits into the limb pocket. On the side there will be a number/letter code. Something like 2L. To gain another 5# you need to look for the next # up, such as 3L. Even a 4L would work. Then go shopping in the classifieds on www.archerytalk.com. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Let us know what marking is on the bottom limb sticker and what the deflection code is on the limb then we can make sure you look for the right limbs.

cfuhrer
08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I get exactly what you are saying, I think.
If one were to put a shorter set of strings and cables on their bow they could flex the limbs, at rest, more than they were from the factory. Meaning the limbs have more energy stored (a "false" higher poundage).
I had wondered, briefly, about putting shorter strings on it but decided that the extra, constant presure was not something I wanted on my bow.