PDA

View Full Version : String fraying

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Hey.

This time i have a real important questions. At least for me.
I have a problem with my string. In fact i am very satisfied with it. It has 24 strands but it is very fast, the quality is good.

My problem ist that the string is fraying between the lower serving and the one in the middle. I apply some wax neraly every week to stop it from fraying. Can i do anything against that? Why can this happen? Im a just a bit worried... :/

I will change the string in three weeks so that there is a new one for this bow and the old one for my backup bow...

dbd870
08-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Is it fuzz or have you lost a strand?

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 07:08 AM
It is just a bit fuzzy (can i say that?). I have not lost a strand yet.
I have seen people shooting with strings that are way more frayed but they shoot a recurve and have no problem with that.
I am just wondering where this can come ftom and what i can do against it. The string is not hitting anything.

dbd870
08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Mine do that after a while as well. I've changed string suppliers so I haven't had any of the ones I'm using now long enough to see how these do. I've never had a problem due to that and just change them after I get enough arrows on a set.

bfisher
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Simon, I know this will be a PITA, but you could stick the bow in a press. Relieve the pressure on the string enough that you can wax each strand separately. Then take it out of the press and wax the whole thing as a unit. Clean off the excess with a thread or dental floss.

Could be you're just not getting enough penetration into the string and getting internal abrasion.

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Could you please be so kind to explain my PITA? :P

I will do what you said tomorrow before shooting my 150 arrows for that day. I will make some pictures of before and after.

dbd870
08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Pain In The........:D

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Ah, well, okay. :P

bfisher
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Pain In The........:D

What he said.

Damned Germans, anway. Don't you understand English? LOL.

By the way. I've said it before, but again, your English is just fine. Many Americans should go to your school.

Montalaar
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks.
I thought if FITA as i read PITA but it made no sense... xD

I had a very severe english teacher in school. She had lived in England for some years and tried to get us into the language.

Oh i could answer in german but hey, where is the fun if nobody understands what i am swearing? :P

dbd870
08-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree, your english is excellent.

bfisher
08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks.
I thought if FITA as i read PITA but it made no sense... xD

I had a very severe english teacher in school. She had lived in England for some years and tried to get us into the language.

Oh i could answer in german but hey, where is the fun if nobody understands what i am swearing? :P

LOL!!!!!!!!!

bfisher
08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
What did you want me to say? Pain in the Donkey??????? Surely you jest.

Montalaar
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I have waxed it before shooting and took a picture for you with my mobile. Not detailed enough to see anything i think. Did not take a picture after shooting as there was no great difference. Next training will be tomorrow, maybe i will take a picture after it.