PDA

View Full Version : Is my cam out of alignment?

Gobble Gobble
08-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a “Phantom” series bow with the “Fuzion Cam” and what I’d like to know is is my cam at rest properly aligned with my bow string? It looks to me as if the cam is rotated a bit forward and that the end of the cam (where the Fuzion Cam label is) should be more parallel with my bow string. I just had the cable string replaced and know it’s the correct 36” as I measured the old and new strings side by side prier to the new cable string being put on. I’ve measured the bow string and it has stretched ˝ inch to 88 1/2”.

If my cam is indeed not properly lining up with my bow string, 1) what caused it and 2) what do I need to do to fix it. Oh, the bow is set at 28 1/2" draw from the factory set 29", if that matters any.

bfisher
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Your cam is grossly under rotated as you already suspect. Did you physically measure the string and cable before they were installed? Your cam should line up just about the way you asked; with the logo parallel to the string or nearly so.

As it is now even the draw length has to be about 1 1/2 to 2" too short. Also the peak weight has to be off with the limbs bottomed. When the cam rolls over there is also a lot less letoff, too.

From what I'm seeing either the cable is too long, by about an inch, or the string is too short, maybe 1 1/2". Or maybe a combination of the two. I know you said you laid the new string along side the old one (cable, too) but there is a possility that these had crept and weren't the right length. You need to actually measure the new ones.

And another issue. If your new string has crept 1/2" already then you need to think about a different string manufacturer. A decent string should not creep more than about 1/4" over the entire life of the string. The cable? About half that amount.

As to what to do Get it restrung again---with some decent strings. And the right length. If you had a shop do this work then I would advise finding another shop, too. Any half baked bow tech should be able to see just what you did and not even let the bow leave his shop that way.

And by the way, I checked the Bow Cam Charts here on this site and the string/cable lengths are as listed on your bow sticker.

Gobble Gobble
08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I only had the cable string replaced not the bow string. I'll take it back to Sportsman's Warehouse this afternoon and get it fixed. I just wish there another shop in town that could work on my bow. Last time I had work done on it I ended up making a trip to the Martin factory to have a staff member fix my set up that they did incorrectly.

So, strings will only stretch over time, never shrink? Or did I miss read your post. I found the package the new cable string came in and it is labeled 36.5" and not the stickered 36". SO, now that I know the new string is 1/2" too long, would that explain the cam being under rotated? A shorter cam string will rotate the cam around to proper alignment.

You are correct about the max poundage being effected, as I'm now only getting 62lbs and not the full 70lbs the bow is set up for when the limbs are bottomed out.

Montalaar
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Strings will always strecht. Not very much if you get a high quality pre stretched string but they will NEVER shrink. They stretch because not every strand is in the same length so the drag on the both ends will stretch it until every strand has the same pressure or length.