PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Pantera

cotterboy
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I bought a used 2007 pantera with nitrous c cams and 6h limbs. I need some info on this setup. is draw length adjustable from 28 to 31 in 1/2" increments and pull from 60-70. I looked online, but understand this was a custom shop offering. It is equipped with x system as well.

What would the IBO be on this thing. I shot it 280 fts with a 382 grain arrow. I think I have it set at 29 inches and around 65-66 pounds on the scale.

I would also like to obtain a manual, but until I do, any little tips or tricks for tuning these things ould be appreciated. I am going to post this at archery talk as well, but the threads go down the list too fast for the right people to see them. any help is really appreciated. I think I am going to really like this bow once i get used to it. thanks

Montalaar
08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
The draw weight can be adjusted from 55 to 70. With a Nitrous Cam you can choose your draw length in 1" step over around 4" or 5". Just select another position of the module on both cams.

Tuning is not that hard with Nitrous Cams. There are just a few things that are important.
Are the modules on both cams in the same position? Is the cam position correct - no over or underrotation? Is the timing correct?

Just check if the modules on the cams are both in the same position. That is not too hard. After that you check for the right amount of rotation. If there is around 1/4 or 1/2 inch of the groove showing you can live with that. Barry might say something more to this.
Then just draw the bow. I recommend to draw the bow always with an arrow, if the strings slips out of your hand or the release fails there is no damage to the bow. Only to your home. ( :P )

If both cams are timed correct you will feel nothing, just reaching the valley. If they are not timed perfect you will feel that one cam reaches the module after the other. You will recognize it if it is the case.

If so you will need to twist the cables that are connected to the cam that comes to rest at first.

Because you said that you shoot the X-System if do not believe that you have any cam lean. You can check that by holding an arrow beside the cam. If it is parallel to the string everything is perfect.

cotterboy
08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
excellent and thank you. So, the 1 slot on the cam should start at around what draw length?

Montalaar
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
As your bow is a custom bow and it was selled with the MPro only it took me some time to look it up. I think i can only guess but the draw lenght could be 28 to 31. With the MPro-Cam it has a maximum draw length of 30" but i believe that the use of Nitrous Cams can add 1" in draw length.

I must correct my own post as i said it is adjustable in 1" steps. Correct is that it is in 1/2" steps.

flytier17
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I got one of them. Love it too. Wouldn't have bought it without the NOS X setup.

However, there are some discrepencies in our stats. My bow has a DL range of 27"-30". I got it from bfisher here, and he has shot it with a 27" draw, so he will also verify that my bow goes up 4" from 27". Are your strings too long?

I got my bow shooting a Fatboy 500 (308grs.) set at 58lbs. drawing 29.5" @ 293fps. I have 1 pair of Bow-Jax, an Tru-Peep, and a loop on the string.

I can post on how to time cams and correct cam lean without a bowpress, but I have to hit the road now, so I will post tomorrow night if someone else does not steal my opinion expressing podium:D

Alec

P.S. You have a great bow. A Pantera NOS X is a real steal at any price. Be VERY happy.

flytier17
08-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Also, I have the 2H limbs, and I get a peak of 55, bottom at 58lbs. By this, either your bow should peak at 75 and bottom at 78, or my bow should peak at 50, and bottom at 52-53lbs. I think you are going by the stats on thew limbs. The previous owner probably modified the bow himself, so those are the stats for the Mpro cams. One way to check is if the limb sticker has a long string length, like 90" or so. That is typical of a solocam. I would say your bow is a 60-75lb, maybe bottoming at 78. Measure it. See where it bottoms.

I think my stats are on, as the bow came from the Martin Custom shop already built for NOS X. My stats and limb sticker jive, so I believe my sticker is official. I could be wrong though. Bfisher, any input?

flytier17
08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Solving Cam Lean:

Place a straight arrow on the flat side of the cam, extending towards the center of the string, parallel with the string. Observe and record the gap betweenb the tip of the arrow and the serving. Now do this to the other side of the same cam. Compare the differences in distance between the arrow tip and the streing on either side. You will be qable to tell easily if you have lean on that cam. Twist the appropriate cables to correct. If the cam is leaning close to the arrow on the left side, twist the left cables to shortenthem and make the cam lean in the opposite direction. (loosening the opposite cables will also have the desired effect.) Then perform the entire procedure on the other cam.

Timing Cams:

Place the bowstring on a SECURE hook and "draw" the bow by pressing down on it. Observe which cam comes to rest first. Untwist BOTH the cables attatched to that cam. Or, twist the two opposite cables. Use 1/2 twists because a 1/2 twist will have a great effect on the timing.

Twisting Cables On A NOS X System Without A Press:

Place the bow upright on a soft well-padded carpet. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE BOW AS THIS WILL PLACE UNDUE STRESS ON THE CAM! Just place your hand flet on the upper limb and wrap your fingertips around the end of 1 of the cables. Squeeze the cable towards the limb. This will create slack in the other cable. You can remove it from the limb tip. Don't worry, you can let go of the pressed cable. As long as the bow is not drawn, it will not come to any harm. Twist/untwist the cable as you so desire. Press the other cable again and replace the twisted/untwisted cable on the tip again, and let og. All should be fine. Just make sure the cable is well seated in the limb-tip groove. Now repeat for the other cable on the same limb-tip, taking extra precaution to twist it the same as the previous cable. Now flip the bow over and repeat. Make sure all 4 cables are treated the same, elsways they will upset lean/timing. Unless of course, only 1 or 2 cables need twistingg because ytou are trying to establish timing or eradicate lean.

Hope this helps.

Alec

cotterboy
08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
thank you guys very much. good people here.

flytier17
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Did you checkthe stats on the limb and compare to the actual stats? Were they for the Mpro or not? What are the specs?

Alec

cotterboy
09-05-2008, 01:19 AM
My pantera is now for sale, I came across a good deal on another bow and the patera is odd man out. wife says three bows is one too many with baby on the way in a few weeks. search my user name at archery talk for more details. figured some of you martin gurus might be interested since the nitrous cams are pretty hard to come by these days. let me know if interested

bfisher
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Being as the bow is going to be sold, traded or whatever, I need make no more comment.