PDA

View Full Version : cable guard on my 07 cheetah

cheet07
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
i was shooting my 2007 cheetah and i just happened to look at the fletching on my arrow to see that the cables were touching them. some how the bar that the cable guard slides on has shifted. i can't find any measurement for how far away the cables should be from my fletchings. i dont know if it matters or what so any kind of help i would be greatly appreciated.

dbd870
09-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Just move it enough so they clear.

bfisher
09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Exactly. There is no set measurement. Usually you set them for clearance and lock them down. Some fletches have higher profile than others and that's why the rod is adjustable.

Turn it and give yourself about 1/8" clearance and lock it down.

cheet07
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
ok. i appreciate your info.

Montalaar
09-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Something different about the cable guard..

Have you ever noticed that your cable guard is bending towars the arrow? My cable guard is bent. I believe it is a result of hte pressure from the cables but it looks.... frightening that the one end of the cable guard is around 1,5" closer to the arrow than the one that is inserted into the riser..

bfisher
09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Something different about the cable guard..

Have you ever noticed that your cable guard is bending towars the arrow? My cable guard is bent. I believe it is a result of hte pressure from the cables but it looks.... frightening that the one end of the cable guard is around 1,5" closer to the arrow than the one that is inserted into the riser..

What are you talking about, Simon? What bow, what cable guard?

Aim4gold
09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Once you resolve your cable guard clearance problem

I always take my cable guard out, find the spot (mark) that your set screw made on the shaft, file a flat spot on the cable guard in that location. Put it back in and tighten it down.

It will never slip again ;)

Montalaar
09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
I menat the cable guard on my Nitrous-Razor-X. The one without shoot through.

bfisher
09-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I menat the cable guard on my Nitrous-Razor-X. The one without shoot through.

OK, so what you're saying is that at full draw the back end of the cable guard is bent in toward the bow string, right? If this is so then I would say this is very common. I've noticed it before myself. When you draw the bow most of the stress is transferred to the cables. Having side pull, this extra stress does bend the cable guard inward. It's not problem so long as the string doesn't hit it when the bow is shot.

I've actually seen some rare cases where there wasn't enough offset in the rod (adjustment) and the string actually ended up on the wrong side of the rod after the shot. Very ugly.

In the rarest cases I've run into the string hit the end of the rod snapping the string, but very rare.