PDA

View Full Version : sighting in and arrow ?

Unregistered
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
any tips on sighting in with 55# 27" draw with easton carbon 55-70 4oo 100grain points

bfisher
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
OK, so now you have the question. I don't know that there are any tips. Just what do you want to know. Have you ever sighted in a bow before? There is nothing magical about it.

Start at about 10 yards. Draw and aim your bow trying to see if you'll hit the target, whether it be a bag or anything else. I suggest a bag target or something with a bullseye. Take your best shot concentrating on aiming and following through. You need to make adjustments, of course.

You make adjustments by moving your sight pins where your arrow is hitting. In other words if they are hitting high then you move your pin up. We call this following the arrow.

Once you get it close at 10 yards then move to 20 and readjust the pin. If you are capable of shooting decent groups at 20 yards and beyond then set your first pin for 20 yards. There is no need for a 10 yard pin as the point of impact difference between 10 and 20 yards is only about an inch with today's bows.

If you can shoot 30 yards then do the same for that. You can always gap between pins for the 25 yarders. Too many pins gives you the opportunity to possibly pick a wrong pin and obscures more of the target so keep it as simple and clean as you can.

There is no set distance between pins or where they will be located when sighted in. This is all a matter of your particular orm and setup, bow speed, how close the sight is to the bow and other factors. And there are no shortcuts. You have to shoot the bow and make your adjustments as needed.

I think this is enough for now. There is more to it, but I like to take things in stages.

I can relate to your 27" and 55#. This is my norm.

Does this help at all?

Aim4gold
09-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I couldn't count how many times I have put one in the wall ABOVE the targets at 20 yds - cuz I didn't start at 10 yds!!

All good points -

Have fun:)