PDA

View Full Version : SABER string stretch?????

SPEEDVH
09-06-2008, 12:26 AM
heres a another one, went to a very reputable pro shop in pa amung the many issues that i went through when i bought my bow (ie broken limbs from so called pro shop in nj and replaced with less poundage limbs than origanally sold so iam told) now the string has stretched and ive lost almost 10lbs draw weight. iam at a lost for words...spent alot of time and effort in researching mfg and prices figuring i get the most for my money. figures living in nj get screwed just to get out of bed. wondering if i should at the end of bow season give this away go to pa and buy another one differant mfg also. or maybe i could get my order my original poundage limbs and install new string and love the bow i bought??? had to vent a little

dbd870
09-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Broken limb on any bow with MPro cams is pretty rare; but it can happen with any bow. Sounds like your shop messed the repair up. As for strings, the factory ones from most of the manufacturers are not as good as the quality aftermarket strings. I never wait too long before having a set made and dumping the originals.

bfisher
09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
heres a another one, went to a very reputable pro shop in pa amung the many issues that i went through when i bought my bow (ie broken limbs from so called pro shop in nj and replaced with less poundage limbs than origanally sold so iam told) now the string has stretched and ive lost almost 10lbs draw weight. iam at a lost for words...spent alot of time and effort in researching mfg and prices figuring i get the most for my money. figures living in nj get screwed just to get out of bed. wondering if i should at the end of bow season give this away go to pa and buy another one differant mfg also. or maybe i could get my order my original poundage limbs and install new string and love the bow i bought??? had to vent a little

See if I can get this straight. Did you buy the bow used and it had a limb change prior to you buying it? If so there are a few questions I have.

What is the bow's weight range supposed to be as you bought it? What year and what cam is on the bow? PLEASE, measure the brace height and axle to axle length right now?

I'm guessing right now, but your bow may have experienced string/cable creep, in which case the A2A length would be long and the brace height would be low, which means less preload on the limbs and a resultant loss in draw weight. There is a simple remedy for this. Twist the string and cable to get the bow at or near factory specs and see if this helps. If the bow is more than a couple years old I'd begin with a new set of decent aftermarket strings.

You buy those generic type strings or Zebras hanging in a bow shop and you'll end up with the same thing in a while.

I can give you more detail if you give me the measurements I ask. It's hard to make general statements without info.

SPEEDVH
09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
but bow on layaway when i went to pick bow up looked over it and noticed to cracks on limbs should have noticed this before. anyway they replaced my limbs for free. the bow was new 2007 saber model bought bow as a package so i think they did damage in the press going to have bow completly redone at the end of this season, new string cams checked limbs checked by a differant pro than where purchased i just dont trust them.

SPEEDVH
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
axle to axle 33" how do i measure brace ? bow was supposed to 60-70 lbs i think got 50-60 lb limbs. like i said invested alot of time and money getting this bow to where i like it.

Montalaar
09-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Bought bow on layaway. When i went to pick bow up i looked over it and noticed two cracks on the limbs, i should have noticed this before. Anyway they replaced my limbs for free. The bow was a new 2007 saber model and it was a package so i think they damaged it in the press. I am going to have the bow completely redone at the end of this season. New string, get the cams and limbs checked by a differant pro than where i purchased it.
I just dont trust them.

Did you meant to post it this way? If so.. Do me a favor to take some more time to write your postings. I took me several minutes to get some sense out of your post.

bfisher
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
First, Simon is right. Capital letters at the beginning of sentences and punctuation at the ends would be very helpful. You have to understand that on interent forums we take it for granted that everybody is from the USA, when there are participants from all over the world. We kind of expect people to use proper English so we must set a good example. Notice that Simon is from Germany. His English is pretty good, but he has to work at it. In turn, we need to make things easier for other people. I consider it a personal courtousy (spelling).

Now, with the bow at rest you measure brace height from the string to the deepest part of the grip. Just a simple measurement.

Another thing you can do if you know how. There is a number/letter combination on the side of the limb near it's base (behind the limb pocket). It should something like 5L or something. If you need to you can turn a limb bolt out so you can see it. Keep track of the amount of turns.

hen on another part of these tech forums you'll see bow cam charts. Follow the links and find your bow. Over on the right side of the page it should tell you what limbs give you 70#. Compare the number/letter with yours.

SPEEDVH
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
5M is labeled on the limb, and brace height is 7".

SPEEDVH
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I must appologize for the original post. It was very late and pulled a 14 hour shift at work , and was very tired. This was bugging me for awhile. Again my oppologize to everyone.

bfisher
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I must appologize for the original post. It was very late and pulled a 14 hour shift at work , and was very tired. This was bugging me for awhile. Again my oppologize to everyone.

I keep going over this and am creating more questions than I answer. Here are a couple. Is the bow an '08 model? What cam is on it? There are so many versions listed in the bow cam charts that I need this info.

In the interim,, the '08 Saber with M-pro cam is listed as 32" and 7.5 brace height and 5L limbs for 60#. If this is what you have then 5M limbs should give you about 53#. If this is the bow you have then let me know. Otherwise I need to know what cam and year of bow. Also, on the bottom limb sticker there should be string and cable length.

SPEEDVH
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
2007 MARTIN SABER PRO SERIES 5M labeled on limb DYNA-CAM No info on label except for PEAK WEIGHT 65 thats all i have. hope this info will help. axel to axel is 32"

Montalaar
09-11-2008, 02:21 AM
With the Dynacam in 2007 we can find 3 entries. It would be great to knwo which limbs you have on your bow as they make a difference in string and cable length and also in the draweight provided.

If you have the Magnum Limbs on it you should get 70lbs ut of your 5M limb. Shoot String: 95.75" and Split String: 39.75".
Please measure the length of your limb to ensure that you use this limb style.

bfisher
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
With the Dynacam in 2007 we can find 3 entries. It would be great to knwo which limbs you have on your bow as they make a difference in string and cable length and also in the draweight provided.

If you have the Magnum Limbs on it you should get 70lbs ut of your 5M limb. Shoot String: 95.75" and Split String: 39.75".
Please measure the length of your limb to ensure that you use this limb style.

Might also add that if they are Magnum limbs then they should be 14" long, butt to limb tips.

pedalsaw
09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Rick here,
New Saber owner. Received the package as a wonderful gift from my nephew 2 weeks ago. It has been over 20 years since I have owned a bow. Previous bow was a Pearson Spoiler. At that time I was an avid archer that shot an avg of 300-400 shots a week nearly year round. A tragic accident with a young brother in-law caused me to vow foolishly to never shoot again.(Car accident) I reconciled the vow finally in my head last year. Enough rambling.

Technology has certainly left me behind. WOW!!!

My Saber is a 55-70 set at 28.5 inch draw. Draw weight was set at 70lbs and boy that 80% let off is awesome. I am shooting currently Redhead Carbon Fury 6075 arrows with 4 inch vanes. I also added a Sims S-coil. The package was from Bass Pro which included a TM hunter prong-style rest and cheaper 3 pin fiber optic site. The site is far and away better than the brass pins available back in the day. So it will do for now. Release is a Redhead XPS caliper wrist release(gonna upgrade later) I went Redhead a lot to make the gift less expensive for my Bass Pro employed Nephew.

I am not shooting as tight as I would like yet (but that will come with time)

Money issues will be better soon and will be upgrading to a better rest and lighter arrows etc.

My concern is the amount of String stretch I have experienced. A local pro-shop, Archery Quest makes strings that I have heard are awesome. I am having to re-tune quite often now. Are the Double Helix strings suppose to continually stretch as much as I have heard or is it possible I got a bad set?

I am not mad about this at all. Just wanting to pick the brains of people that shoot now as much as I used to. String upgrades, drop away rest versus whisker biscuits, 8.5 grain vs 10.6 grain arrows and which brands? So many choices now compared to what used to be

You responses will be greatly appreciated.

Rick

bfisher
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
If nothing else I say is of any use to you, may I welcome you back to thefold of bowshooters (archers). I hope most of your personal woes are behind you. Life is too short. Have fun with what's left.

Like you I used to shoot a lot, competitively. As I get older my shooting is deteriorating along with my body and eyes. I still enjoy shooting and the conpanionship of other at my club. Therfore I am out there almost daily, but mostly to help others. The 500 shots a week have fallen to about 200. A lot of my old friends and my wife's friends can't believe I still do this after being involved for 35 years.

I know about the old Spoiler. I used to shoot for Pearson and the Spoiler was pretty much the original SPEED bow. Drew like it, too.

You are so correct in the change in technology. Bows are faster, quieter, and much more reliable than those of yesteryear. Having been shooting compounds for 35+ years I've seen a lot.

Getting right to the string issue, if you have a shop that makes good strings then I'd give the guy a shot. First get a price---installed---unless you can do it yourself. I can tell you where to get some of the best strings you can buy for about $65 a set, but give your local guy a shot if his price is fair.

The Helix strings seem to be hit-or-miss from what I'm seeing. All the ones I've had the last couple years have been OK, but I know others that didn't have such luck. You probably happen to fall into that catagory. Sorry.

As for other accessories to upgrade to? I could give you all kinds of opinions as I've used a lot of things over the years, but again, I think you'd be best served seeing what your local shop carries and ask his opinion.

I'm not all that crazy about most of the drop away rests used these days, although I've used many. Just recently I had a Whisker Bisquit on my bow and it lasted three days. It's not a bad rest. I just don't like it. One thing to consider with any type capture rest is that because the arrow is enclosed your form and follow through has to be good. If the bow moves the arrow won't go where it's intended.

Sights come in many models and prices. If the bow is to be used for mostly hunting you could use a multipin sight with three pins being all you'll ever need. If you plan on doubling up and shooting 3D or long range practice you might want more pins. Try to keep it simple.
One of my personal favorites is the HHA OL-5000, a single pin slider (adjustable) sight. It allows for shooting abut all venues. Single pin mean you can't inadvertantly pick the wrong pin. It's built like a tank and the pin is very well protected ( a must IMO) and comes with a Lifetime Warranty--no questions asked.

For stabilizers I use nothing shorter than 7". Afterall, it's a stabilizer, not something just to add a little weight. Most times I use about a 10"-12" model. AEP, Simms, Dinker, and other make good ones. Simms has the best price.

Arrows!!! WOW. Pick something. So long as you can get them on such a steep discount (I know about this BP discount) then their arrows are worth the money. Just be sure to do some homework looking at different website and arrow charts to see what spine arrow is recommended. The 6075's should do you well for now. There is nothing wrong with going with a lighter arrow (8.5 gr/in) if you want to maximize the speed opportunity and they should be plenty heavy for hunting. Just be sure to do all the math to ensure that a finished arrow will weigh at least 5 gr/lb of draw weight

A lot of stuff you'll get is going to be personal choice and what doesn't empty your wallet too bad. Just remember to KISS---keep it simple stupid. No malice intended.

Please feel free to join this site and get to know some of us. There are a lot of guys, but not too many, with ton's of experience here always willing to give advice, and maybe learn from others. You are as welcome as any.

Any more questions?

Barry

SPEEDVH
09-13-2008, 06:01 AM
The limbs measure 13" . Any other info you need let me know.

Montalaar
09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
13" Limbs sopund pretty much like those short magnum limbs they use also on the Cheetah, at least i think so.

If i am right the string chart uses an "s" for the short 13" limb so that your bow should have around 62# with 5M limbs. If i am right the Shoot String is 88" and the Split String is 36".

Better wait for someone else to confirm my assumption.

SPEEDVH
09-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Everything sounds about right. Bow is down to about 54 to 52 lbs, not a big deal as far poundage. Going to have bow in shop around november to be serviced and new string put on. I really could not part with it, its shoots great. Heres a little about my set up, my sight is a hha optimizer 5000(very cool) truglo stabilizer with built in wrist sling, screw on limb pocket vibration dampeners. A very nice FUSE wisker biscut arrow rest. Arrows are 27.5" beaman realtree carbons@9.6gpi with 85 grain broadheads with 2" blazer vanes(391 total weight).

bfisher
09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Everything sounds about right. Bow is down to about 54 to 52 lbs, not a big deal as far poundage. Going to have bow in shop around november to be serviced and new string put on. I really could not part with it, its shoots great. Heres a little about my set up, my sight is a hha optimizer 5000(very cool) truglo stabilizer with built in wrist sling, screw on limb pocket vibration dampeners. A very nice FUSE wisker biscut arrow rest. Arrows are 27.5" beaman realtree carbons@9.6gpi with 85 grain broadheads with 2" blazer vanes(391 total weight).

Let's see. I have the same sight for hunting. The limb vibration dampeners are probably Mini Extremes if you have the same ones I have, right?
For a rest I had on a blade (lizard tongue) for 3D till about a onth ago. Changed it for a WB with Martin Lock mount. That lasted about three days till I decided it wasn't for me. Right now and through hunting season it will be carrying a Montana Gold Trap Door rest.

My hunting arrows are going to be 27" Gold Tip Pro 22 series, three 4" Duravane LP 400's, and 76gr InnerLoc 3 blade heads. Total arrow weight of 315 grains. Consider this. They will be shot from a 45# FireCat set for 26.5" draw. They are a 300 spine so correct poundage would be somehwere about 75#, but they tune and fly like a dream with broadheads. So much for spine charts.

SPEEDVH
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I like the wb it just seems to work me. My arrows are 400 spine they are pretty tough. Had to switch to 100 grain field tips so tomorrow i gotta go resite bow in. Going with RAGE 2 blade broadheads. I will be out oct 4th thats opening day for my zone in new jersey. Good luck to you.

pedalsaw
09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Bfisher and Speedvh,
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

After a handful of trips and some tech help at local shop, things are not quite as bad as I thought. Although I did get some string stretch, It has settled in for now. I marked my wheel cam without thinking that it could free spin so to speak making that mark useless. I also marked my cam and have had minimal movement there.

My accuracy is getting better with repeated trips to the 3-D range. My paper punching still is a little weak, but I was always a better kill zone shooter at unknown distances than I was with hitting the X. I switched to smaller peep site which seem to help me and off course paying attention to my form and practice, practice, practice will get me where I want to be. Although it is somewhat like riding a bike, we do lose a few steps with age and eye site wows. :eek:

The Pearson Spoiler was an awesome Speed bow for it's time for sure. I was getting 330+ fps back then using a 3 inch overdraw. But by putting that overdraw on, it sure put a premium on being perfect on my shots. I lived in Arkansas then and was able to go to Pine Bluff if needed to get help from them if needed was part of my reason for going with Pearson. And boy did that come in handy when the already LOUD Spoiler started sounding like a train wreck after installing a new string. I did not put twists in the string and the Guru at Pearson schooled me along with giving me a brand new bow and a complete tour on that trip, including Some of Ben Pearson's trophies. One of my best archery Memories.

Prior to the Spoiler I owned a Renegade. Now there was a great bow. So forgiving and aesthetically beautiful as well. I must say that thus far my Saber seems to be in that category. Quiet and forgiving with good speed for the heavier arrow I am currently shooting.

I will be heading to the woods Sept, 30th for a 5 day camp and hunt with my nephew that has gotten back to the sport that I loved for so long. The area is Sac Osage (Truman lake) and I am so looking forward to tagging out on a Doe along with hopefully a good buck. I have not been a Trophy hunter as much as I was about the total experience in the past and I don't see that changing much. Although If I do take a Buck on that trip it will be at least 4 points on one side(Missouri Regulations) for the county I will be hunting in.

That brings me to a big point I hold very dear. Fair Chase and LEGAL hunting. No matter if one agrees with the laws or not for your area. PLEASE follow them folks. And teach your kids and others the same. Missouri does not allow baiting, but I found out that my 13 year old was going to be hunting in an area where they hunt over corn feeders. I put a quick stop to that. He even took a nice 9 point during last years gun season in the area. After finding this out I was livid. My son has not been with me for reasons mostly out of my control but that is over and I have a macho, spoiled hunter that has some already deep rooted bad habits. I will not be swayed on this matter, up to reporting this person that has taught him and several others that there is nothing wrong with baiting deer. Even if it is against the law. I am giving this person the chance to remedy the situation on his end, and will not allow my son to hunt with him unless he overtly addresses this with me and my son. I don't see that that happening, and my mother always said we cannot behave others. But we can control our own behavior.

Be a beacon for those that are watching us people. Being a former Field Governor(short lived) for that Arkansas Bow Hunters Association, I have always lived by Fair Chase and LEGAL hunting. Any bad examples hunters give the opposition makes all of our good arguments null and void.

That is all for this installment of the Pedal papers:cool:

Peace and good hunting

Rick