PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bow for hunting bow my son

Tinman
09-07-2008, 06:24 AM
My son is 12 yrs old ,he has a pse spyder 10#- 40#. I bought it used a year ago. It needs new a new string and cables this I'm aware of I'm sure that they have streched . To get to the point, the bow will not achieve 40# and was thinking of getting him a new bow for his first year of hunting. It looks like I'm just going to have to replace all the cables and hope the proshop that I deal with can tweek it with the new cables. What I'm asking here is with all the experence on this forum is there a bow out that ranges 20#-50# that is a name brand to help me excelerate my learning curve on youth bows. Thank guys for any help you can give me .

dbd870
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
You're not going to find a bow with a 30# adjustment range. Parker does make one that will let you send the bow back to them and they will replace limbs for $50.00 they start at 20# limbs (I THINK) and go up to 50#. The bow can be set for up to and including a 28" draw length. If you can get 40# out of his bow now that should be adequate for deer for the range he will likely be shooting. You might check your state regs., but 40# ought to cover most of them.

bfisher
09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
You can certainly buy another bow and may decide to go that route anyway, but for now ther's no reason the Spyder can't be set up for the 40# it used to have. Replacing the string and cable should do it, along with proper setup.

What happens is, over time the string and cable both creep (elongate). The axle to axle length of the bow gets longer and the brace height decreases. The end results is that the limbs lose some of their preload and the poundage drops.

It's even possible, that if the rigging isn't that old you could just have the originals twisted to bring the bow into specs. So the problem isn't really the bow, but the rigging. And a word of caution. The Parker idea is a decent one, but their strings are similar to PSE's and will creep over time also, as do a lot of factory strings. Just so you know. You just have to check things once in a while.