PDA

View Full Version : Got a MOAB

nocknroll
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi all... I'm new to the sport and I really wouldn't know any better but my archer friends who shoot Mathews and Hoyts are impressed with my new bow. It was a package so I was ready to go too. Anyway I'm having fun and it's a great release from a days work.

Question, in punching in the values at the Easton arrow selection site, what style cam should I enter?

I have 55-70 limbs I currently have them at turned down 3 turns to 61#. I intend to slowly crank up the poundage. Should I get arrows intended for higher than 61#?

Thanks

Montalaar
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
The MOAB uses the M-Pro Cam which is a Single Cam.

I would get arrows that work from 60-65#. Maybe you will be able to draw even more next year so you can get stiffer arrows then.

dbd870
09-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello from another MOAB shooter. When using the Easton software I just call it any of the new bows hard cam and move on.

nocknroll
09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you Montalaar and dbd.

I downloaded and printed a hard copy of the latest Easton (http://www.eastonarchery.com/company/downloads/brochures) chart. So based on the chart, I'm currently in Group G when I eventually bump up to my max poundage I would be in Group I. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should be able to use the same Epic ST 400's throughout that weight range...right?

On the MOAB, the white cable guide slide... the cable seems to be wearing a groove in one of the slots. Is that normal wear and tear? Maybe I should pick up some extra slides?

Sorry about all the questions... but thanks.

flytier17
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the Mtech forum.

Just a question, why shoot at 70lbs. You aren't doing your shoulder any favors. You certainly don't need the additional KE to kill any NA game. And at 60lbs, you will be able to hold the bow longer at FD and still make a precise shot.

For the arrows, sonsider this also. You can stiffen an arrow up by decreasing the point weight, and cutting it down. So if you order an arrow that will spine right for you at 60lbs, and have 2-3 extra inches that can be cut down later, chances are, that arrow will suit you well even at 70lbs. you can also start with a 125gr. point and go down from there. However, npoint weight has a far less profound effect on spine than length does so don't rely on the point weight alone to give you the total versatility in the range of spine on your arrow.

dbd870
09-21-2008, 04:14 PM
It looks like you need 340's to me. What point weight are you shooting? I'm not seeing any wear on mine.

Montalaar
09-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Thank you Montalaar and dbd.

I downloaded and printed a hard copy of the latest Easton (http://www.eastonarchery.com/company/downloads/brochures) chart. So based on the chart, I'm currently in Group G when I eventually bump up to my max poundage I would be in Group I. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should be able to use the same Epic ST 400's throughout that weight range...right?

On the MOAB, the white cable guide slide... the cable seems to be wearing a groove in one of the slots. Is that normal wear and tear? Maybe I should pick up some extra slides?

Sorry about all the questions... but thanks.

Are you using the Martin Teflon slide? If so i can give you no advice as i use the SIMS Teflon Slide. Ho deep is the groove in the slide? In general i would not worry about that but keep an eye on it. If the groove will get deeper you should think about getting a new one. As this part is under the warranty you can also wait until it is broken and get a new one from Martin.

I think you are hunting with your arrows?

Your arrows choice depends on your point weight. I would recommend you to use a 125gr point. If you want to stiffen your arrow you can use a 100gr point later.

I would need your draw length to tell something about the right arrows for you. If your draw length is 29" or longer you will need the .340 arrows. WIth the .400 arrows you will need a very short dra length to use them over the full 10 lbs range you asked for.

I would recommend the .340 as dbd did also.

nocknroll
09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
My drawlength is just under 28". (It was set up with the F-4 module for the 28 but I moved the drawstop up a tick). Currently at 61# and my arrows are cut to 27". Been shooting the 400 Gold Tip Vapors that came with the kit and some bought Easton Epic ST 400s.

My paper test showed a right nock tear so I adjusted the rest to the left til it was gone. That's what I don't get... it says that for compound bows the arrow should be oriented straight down the pipe. So if I had to move the rest to correct arrow flight... is there something wrong with the bow or does it mean I'm using the wrong arrow?

dbd870
09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
With 27" arrows 400's will be fine.

Montalaar
09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
My drawlength is just under 28". (It was set up with the F-4 module for the 28 but I moved the drawstop up a tick). Currently at 61# and my arrows are cut to 27". Been shooting the 400 Gold Tip Vapors that came with the kit and some bought Easton Epic ST 400s.

My paper test showed a right nock tear so I adjusted the rest to the left til it was gone. That's what I don't get... it says that for compound bows the arrow should be oriented straight down the pipe. So if I had to move the rest to correct arrow flight... is there something wrong with the bow or does it mean I'm using the wrong arrow?

Nothing wrong.

My bow is set up perfect. As i shoot the shoot through system i have no cam lean, no cable guard and so on. I used my eyes to install the rest. After bringing the arrow on one line with the string i made some french or walk back tuning. I moved my arrow rest until it was set up for prooper arrow flight. Now my tip is around 0.8cm to the left of the string. Nothing wrong with that.

nocknroll
09-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the Mtech forum.

Just a question, why shoot at 70lbs. You aren't doing your shoulder any favors. You certainly don't need the additional KE to kill any NA game. And at 60lbs, you will be able to hold the bow longer at FD and still make a precise shot.

Point taken... thanks. It's a testosterone thing I suppose:D.

I had been shooting with 100 grain tips when I did my initial tuning. The right tear on the paper test was fixed moving my arrow rest. Says the symptom for right tear could also be a stiff arrow. So today I tried 125g tips (to make the arrow limberer(?))and I was able to bring the arrowrest back closer to center. The grouping is much tighter...the arrows don't go everywhich way. Was able to get within 6" circle at 20 yards consistently, not a big deal but it sure did encourage me.

I'm learning. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. *thumbs up*

flytier17
09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
125's do make the arrow more limber, you're correct. When I say it makes the spine weaker, I meant it makes the spine ACT more weakly, or limber.

Good luck with the shooting. Sounds like you are coming a long way already with the comprehension of the arrow spine. Theres more to learn in archery than any one person ever can, so keep up the good work.

Alec