PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, basic question by prospective owner

Unregistered
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I appologize in advance for this basic question. I am interested in a traditional bow, possibly an x-200 or x-150. I've read the information in the online catalog and I would just like to confirm that these bows are made in the USA. It may be obvious, but nowadays I just double check.

Old man, picked up my first bow about 50 yrs ago, had a Browning recurve and a first generation Jennings T compound, been away from archery for too, long and would like to get back into it. Thanks for all guideance.

jim cameron
annapolis, md.

dbd870
09-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Martin are made in the US.

Montalaar
09-25-2008, 06:19 AM
I just want to ask you something. Why is it so important for you to buy things which are produced in the US? Most of your clothes come form China, Taiwan or Bangladesh, most toys come from China and a great amount from food is produced in Europe or the middle east. So why is it so important to get only bows made in the US? There are great bows made in other countries, too. I just want to understand it.

dbd870
09-25-2008, 07:41 AM
;) I thought it, I just wasn't going to ask. Quick parts shipment could be an answer I suppose but that really doesn't fit this situation. It really is a global market, we've turned the corner and there is no going back.

JKCameron
09-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.:rolleyes:

I didn't realize my first question would require an explaination or a defense.

I appreciate the direct response to my question, although I don't take offense at the implication contained in the response to my question with a question.

Prior to most purchases, I try to determine as much information as I possibly can about the product I am considering. One of the many factors I consider is where a product is made. I believe that there may be a tradition of craftsmanship in one geographical area that is lacking in another.

For example, being a lucky guy, I've owned a number of motorcycles over the years. The U.S., Great Britain, and Japan all make very decent bikes, and I've enjoyed most of them. I am now on my 7th bike made in Germany. I understand that components may be made elsewhere, but I believe that the technical innovations (ABS, traction control,etc.) as well as assembly follow a local tradition of high standards resulting in a superior product.

I suspect that the automatic movements in some Seiko watches are as good as they come, but having worn a Rolex Submariner for 25 years with zero issues, I've been encouraged to purchase other automatic watches that are Swiss made.

Although Smith & Wesson makes great revolvers, the U.S. government saw the wisdom of equiping me with a Glock when it chose a semi-auto pistol. I'm glad they didn't have a global view and choose the Chinese Norinco 77B.

I'm glad I selected a Martin traditional bow, it is beautifully made, obviously by craftsmen that take pride in their work.

Enjoy a great sport, see you on the field.
jkc

Montalaar
09-28-2008, 04:45 AM
I understand what you want to say. It is just that at the same time a guy over on Archerytalk started a thread about his own bow shop which will be offering 'made in the usa' only. As i am from germany i just do not understand why it is so important for some people. There are great bows made in europe (Merlin, OK) and also great tools come from here. Most people will know the Beiter nocks, beiter serving tools and so on. They are made in southern germany.

After reading this thread i thought that it is a bit narrow minded to believe that only products which are mad ein the usa have a high standard of quality. Most clothes come form china although they are produced by an american brand and nobody cares about that. It is just something you have to live with if you wo not want to spend too much money. You can not control if parts of your tools or cars are made in china or russia or anywhere else. The product is assembled in america and that seems to be important.

I agree that i would not buy a bow produced in china. There are many things i have that are made in china but some things i wont buy.

When i first read the statement 'i want to buy only made in the us' i had to laugh. Most people in 'old europe' laugh about things that are made in america as they seem to be of less quality than many things that are produced in europe. But when it comes to high quality products as for example bows or computer parts there is no difference at all....

Did not mean to affront you anyway. :)

overdraw
09-29-2008, 06:03 PM
I just listed my Gail Martin Classic over on archery talk if you are interesetd.