PDA

View Full Version : Pantera limb question

Illyan
10-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Hello Martin users, i am french archer, scuse my english^^

I have a Pantera with super Mag limb, 45/60 lbs PW

My max peak weight is 57lbs@29" (F-6 module). After checking my limb, i have "5H" mark on it.

I have look the limb Chart, and it's indicate 60lbs for a "4M" limb...

My question is: if 4M is for 60 lbs, what poundage i can have with 5H??

(i can't measure Peak weight for instante)

Thanks

bfisher
10-09-2008, 09:43 AM
5H will get you approximately 5# more. However, have you checked the bow's specs? Brace height and A2A? Could be all you need to do is twist up the cable or the cable and string to put more preload on the limbs, which in turn should bring the bow up to 60#, if that's what you're after.

Basically if the A2A (axle to axle) length is too long and/or the brace height is too low then the poundage would also be low and twisting the rigging can correct this.

I also might add that your English is quite good.

Illyan
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks

After checking, my Peak Weight is already 57 lbs...with module f-7 (30").

My ATA seams to be too long but we have not a bowpress for paralel limbs...maybe in late october.

Have a good day

flytier17
10-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you have a portable press, such as a bowmaster? You shold look at getting one. They are very helpful.

Did you measure your Brace Height yet?

How old are your strings? Are they in good condition?

I hope this helps,
Alec

P.S. I assume you have the version with the M-Pro Single Cam Vs. the Nitrous Dual Cams.

Illyan
10-10-2008, 01:18 AM
No, i don't have a bowmaster press...but my club look for buy one...or better bowpress, but they have a little budget (i want the sure loc x-press...)

My planning is full and i will measure my BH tomorrow only.

My string as one year of use, and i look for replace it (Winner choice or Origin sitring)...but it's only a budget question for me too...

We can't made a string over 80"...and it's a 94" string...

I have Pantera M-Pro version, i love this cam...the only bow who can remplace it is the new Warthog....

Thanks a lot, and have a good day

flytier17
10-10-2008, 07:54 AM
The bowmaster press is only 40-50 dollars here, not sure what that is in your currency... You can get them for cheaper even yet if you order off E-Bay or another internet bargain site...

flytier17
10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Your string might not need to be replaced yet. if it is a good string and you take care of it, even a single cam string should last 2 years woth a moderate amount of use.

Illyan
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Bowpress...you must count 60 (81$) in France, with all tax...but it's just only a budget question for my club...it's a political question...the compound's archer are minor in number...and we have only few parallel limb bows...

But it's not really important for instance...i'm waiting my club buy it.

I can't buy it for many reasons: 4 licence(me, my wife and my 2 daugthers), my hunting licence, horse-riding lessons for my daugther...hard work to be father :(

Thanks for all your cons, i hope ending the tune of my bow quickly before next contest.

Have a good day

bfisher
10-10-2008, 09:58 AM
For what you want to do you don't necessarily need a bow press. It'll be a pain, but all you need to do is back off the limb bolts to relieve the pressure on the string. The bolts thread into a barrel nut in the riser which you can see from the side. Back the bolts out evenly as much as needed, but watch through the nut and when you start seeing daylight you should be far enough.
Remove the string from the cam, stretch it out, and put about 20 twists in the string and put it back on the post. Then remove the cable and put about 8-10 twists in it and put it back on it's respective post. Now screw the limb bolts back in.

Check your results by measuring the brace and A2A and compare to factory specs. It doesn't have to be right on, but should be close. Then weigh the bow and see what you have for weight.

Repeat as necessary. Here's where the pain in the butt may start. That's why a bow press makes it easier. But this should work and it's not all that often you need to do it---hopefully.

You will probably have to retune the bow or at least check it. Things like this can make a big change.

Hope this helps

Illyan
10-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Great thanks

I have already heard this cons, but i don't have reliance of info..that's okay, i start tuning tomorow

Good Day

Montalaar
10-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Bowpress...you must count 60 (81$) in France, with all tax...but it's just only a budget question for my club...it's a political question...the compound's archer are minor in number...and we have only few parallel limb bows...

But it's not really important for instance...i'm waiting my club buy it.

I can't buy it for many reasons: 4 licence(me, my wife and my 2 daugthers), my hunting licence, horse-riding lessons for my daugther...hard work to be father :(

Thanks for all your cons, i hope ending the tune of my bow quickly before next contest.

Have a good day

60?
I paid around 30 for mine plus something around 20 for the split limb adapter (working without them is...****)

But as bfisher stated you can do it all by yourself (one reason i shoot a martin bow). A bowpress makes it easier by far but if you cannot afford one this should be the way to go for you.

Illyan
10-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I have tuned my bow yesterday:

My ATA was 35.5" instead of 35" and my BH 6.5" instead of 7".

After unscrewing my limb knots, i have twisted yoke cable and string at same number of turn.

Now my bow is in chart's norm.

However, i can not measure PW before thursday afternoon...i hope this afeternoon...but i am overbooked.

If i follow the Bow Chart, my Pantera need 4M limb for 60 lbs and i have 5H limb...when i must have a 67 lbs max DW?

Montalaar
10-14-2008, 03:58 AM
You should get around 67lbs out of your bow with 5h limbs, thats right (If you looked at the right chart with the right cam and limb style. ;) ).

Keep us up to date with your further steps.

Illyan
10-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Another tuning day...and strange results:

Already 57lbs max on bow scale...but not repetitive...one measure up to 59 lbs and many other between 54 lbs :confused: and 57 lbs...

A friend say me that's Scales have false calibration and i must add 3 or 4 lbs on it...

I must measure my BW on other scale, more pro and tune my bow on 60lbs max autorised in contest.

Thanks for all, have a great day and enjoy shooting:cool:

Illyan
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
It's okay for bow scales...

After twist once again my yoke cable, i'm at 60lbs on 61 max!!!

I have twist my cable and my string, may be i have lost a few pounds for a shorter string...but it's no a problem, 60 lbs are great for me...

Thanks for all, i can go hunting now ^^

bfisher
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Just a question. What kind of scale or brand of scale are you using. The old hand held Cardoza scales were notorious for reading about 5# light.

Illyan
10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
it's a cardoza like...hand held bowscale...

I have calibrated her with a 60 lbs charge, it's right

The other scale have +/- 8lbs less, following the way of pulling on her...

I have observed that my string lenght may vary my poundage...shortening string, less poundage...

My ATA is right now, i go to untwist my string (i had twisted her to 5 turns)

yesterday, i must have to split my string on "2" plot (or "1") for shorten my Draw length to 1/2"...and i have loss 2 pounds.

I want to raise at 60 lbs, with a little upper margin (+/-3lbs)...

Thanks

bfisher
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
You are corect about one thing. Just shortening the string shortens the draw length and decreases the draw weight. By untwisting the string and/or twisting the cable increrases the draw length and raises the draw weight.

I think I went through this before, but if you twist both the cable and the string you can add more preload to the limbs. The string is approximately twice as long as the cable so by adding twice as many twists to the string you can keep the draw length as it is and still maintain the same draw length. All you'll be doing, essentially, is preloading the limbs a bit more. For instance, add 5 twists to the cable and 10 twists to the string.

Here's another way. If the draw length is a bit long, as many are, then go to the next lower draw length module. Then add twists to just the cable which will increase the draw length and the poundage.

There are a lot of things you can tinker around with. As for the scale, I thought you Europeans did things in KILOS. I don't suppose the bow is drawing 56 kilos, is it? HaHa.

Illyan
10-22-2008, 12:40 AM
loool not 56 kilograms...for archery we take a imperial system (pounds, inches)...or my bow must be load to 27.2 kilograms...for 60 lbs ^^

I have tryed to untwist for 5 turns my strings...no effect on poundage...today i will try to twist my strings more than 10 turn (i have turned my yoke to 10 turn approx)...

Montalaar
10-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Everything here is in a metric system, right. Only those british people do nto want to accept that. Just joking.

Everything that is related to archery is measured in the imperial system as the bows come from america. Also we have to use imperial allen wrenches for archery while we use metric units for everything else.

Some years ago there have been major problems with a german bow manufacturer (OK) who produced everything within metric units. I believe this has been changed now.

Illyan
10-23-2008, 12:22 AM
It's okay, i have finally tuned my bow!!!

After remove of the string and set to the chart lenght, i have twisted my yoke cable to a less than 35" (about 34.8").

Result to the max poundage at 61lbs, i have set my bow to the 60 lbs french limit and 29" module (better for my form).

Thank to all enjoy shooting