PDA

View Full Version : Martin v.s. PSE

bowbuck
10-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Does Martin have a bow that shoots just as good as the PSE X-force?

dbd870
10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Only you can answer that question for yourself.

bfisher
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I small a rat. Bows don't shoot "good". They shoot "well". And basically they all shoot with the same potential for accuracy. The person behind the bow determines whether they can personally shoot well with the bow in hand.

Archer Dude
04-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Which X-Force? Some of those shot great and some were awful for example the 2009 X-Force models with GX cams often would not tune and early models of X-Force Omens were very challenging to shoot well. They have many varieties of X-Force. This is like asking is Chevy or Ford best but it depends on the year and model and what you want to do with it.

Bottom line is, Martin certainly has some bows that shoot better than some PSE bows. PSE certainly has some bows that shoot better than some Martin bows.

Shoot what fits, feels, and works best for you.

I will say this, nobody has better customer service and support than Martin.

Best wishes.

HawgEnvy
04-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Depends how much you value your shoulders. I don't like the PSE stiff draw or the tiny grip. I like the looks and have shot bows w less vibes. Your question is subject to shooters opinion.

wscywabbit
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Good answer! You should be a member instead of a guest lol. :)

urparanoidaboutyourbrand
04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
my best friend has the pse omen...80lb limbs...30 inch draw.... (He lifts twice a day so the lbs is nothing to him) I don't lift twice a day....twice a week with kids..lol
I have never seen a faster bow.....
I have never witnessed a quieter bow......really really smooth at the shot

Now the downside.........The draw was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dam harsh! I can pull back a 80lb bow, but the omen cams which are dang near square were just about too hard to break over. I swear that i took 1 to 2 years off my shoulders from just a few shots that day. I can't take the thought of trying to shoot that bow again.
The fit and finish were great...........but if i were going to get a speed bow with a much easier draw...i would look at the darton 3800, some of the new pse models are like 345 ish with more rounded cams. The darton was like a dream to pull back compared to the omen!!!!!!

I will say the new alien is nice to draw back, it's worth a try...I think it's rated at 335fps.

Shoot what fits you comfortably......there is a bow out there for everyone.

Plainsman
04-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Man,man, man, that's getting way out there. I really cannot fathom and 80 bow but hey whatever yanks the chain. I have found that most bows have that elusive setting called "comfortable and quiet". When drawing my eyes and arrow never leave the target kill zone.:cool:

Arrow Splitter
04-30-2013, 08:01 PM
I'd say this is one of those threads that should have the name "Antique" in the title now. LOL:D

A.S

Plainsman
05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Yep. I'm gonna go sit on the front porch watch the deer and then take a nap.;)

bfisher
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Yep. I'm gonna go sit on the front porch watch the deer and then take a nap.;)

Wish I had a front porch. Wish I could find the time to take a nap, too, but I can always catch up on sleep after I die. Till then I have living to do.

bob cooly
05-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Of all the PSE bows I've looked at the only one that jercks my chain would be the Vendetta 50-60lbs. They are heavy through. Waiting to see what happens to Martin after the sell. My 50lb Onza is a dream to shoot and will stack arrows as far as I would shoot a deer, 2012 Bengal at 59lbs is a close second. CS CS CS !!! For me living way out there, as long as Martin will keep me shooting without driving 4 hrs to a ?roshop, I am happy:) Bowtech and Matthews are losing shops here because they want to supply dealers with too many 70lb bows they can't sell.

Tosi
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Early in my years I was a PES and AR junky, can say the AR-34 was a nice drawing bow at 68lbs and fast. The AR was a new riser on the market and allot of bow makers seemed to start in that direction on riser design and or reflex risers. I stop shooting PSE due the harsh cam cycle and back wall let off. Last PSE was the bow madness; I couldn't wait to get that one sold to some young wiper snapper that lifted weights twice a day. Like bfish and others have said, it's on the shooter. Speed, draw cycle, IBO, back-wall, single cam, hybrid cam, ATA, limbs and weight are consideration that a bow shooter must make that fits them.

alienshooter
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I picked up some new PSE's and put them back on the hanger to heavy and the looks are not for me. I'm stout so weight is not a factor and carrying a bow thru the woods for miles any bow gets heavy. PSE did have a lighter one (evo) I think but I didn't shoot it maybe I should have idk. Thats why I got a Martin payed less for a similar performing bow. Why pay more?

Sonny Thomas
05-03-2013, 06:02 AM
So I've shot a few Martins, not all but most, 2008 thru 2012. And I've shot 2 PSEs about a year ago, the Money Maker and the Vendetta XL. Both shot exceptionally well (Hi, Barry). I didn't care for the Money Maker, but the Vendetta XL was more my cup of tea. In either case I can't say they shot better than a Martin. So I feel the X-Force would fall in the same realm.

You get right to it, it's all personal perference. Cams are something that works for the person right off or takes a bit getting use to. Some think the Cat Cams are aggressive and have too hard a wall. Some think the Pearson Z7 cam is too mild and too soft a wall. Both cams crank up to the 330s. Go figure....

When Whisper Creek was still going I shot their super short bow. No one dislikes short bows more than I and Steve of American Sport knows this, but he stuck one in my hand anyway. The ugly little bow shot great on the 20 yard test lane and with every arrow Steve handed me. No sights and that ugly Whisker Biscuit for a rest to boot.

Of factory bows set up with the norm accessories I've yet to find one too heavy. Personally, some one got on the band wagon for lightness and the next everyone was following. I don't really know the problem is. I know my near 38" ata Hoyt MagnaTec must weigh half again what today's bow weigh and I pack it every year and 2 and 3 mile treks are not unusual. So much for needing short and light.

bfisher
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Sonny,

I can sure relate to the issue of weight. When I had my 2004 SlayR I had it set up at 8 3/4#; a real boat anchor. Guys thought I was nuts, but I also put things in a different perspective. I know from my target days that a heavier bow is more accurate. The same as a heavy barreled gun. For target and 3D it was not an issue. In hunting situations I rarely trek more than 1/2 mile. Even my Nemisis is rigged at just about 6#. Good thing about a heavier bow is that even a good breeze won't blow it around.

I can certainly see where a couple pounds might make a difference if a guy is hiking miles and miles, such as western hunting. The other consideration is that with low holding weights of today's bows you sometimes have to physically hold the bow up which wears down the arm and shoulder muscles. That's one reason I often twist the string up on my bows to under rotate the cams. It reduces the letoff a little. It's a wonder what one or two pounds more holding weight will do to make a bow hold better. Ergo the reason many target shooters opt for bows with 65% letoff.

You're right about another thing, too, and that would be the band wagon thing. Monkey see, monkey do. Seems like nobody can think for themselves any more.

alienshooter
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Come on everyone I did not say PSE was no good! I said the bows are not for me, well I liked the DNA, that one was lite. :)
I thought it was all about personal preference, giving opinions ect. I didn't say I was right! :p
I just prefer lighter, smaller ATA bows. I have a Bear Code thats 34" ATA and I like the bow, its slow and heavy but gets the job done.
You guys are correct heavier bows are more stable.
I do hunt the Cascade Mountains, its not the Rockies but the hills are steep and I walk for miles to get on game, most ppl I know are road hunters (I hate that) that use high overpowered rifles shooting long distances. I still rifle hunt but with a bolt action 308 win and love it!
I have got so close to game I switched back to bow and arrow it just seems more exhilarating you know?
The terrain I trek has many blow downs, thick cover and steep canyons that hunting thru it is a work out. Carrying a 10 + lb rifle gets tiring.
Now...I don't want to carry a heavy, long ATA bow all day, (5-9+ miles or more) Now if I was in a tree stand I'd use my Bear code longer ATA.
So it all comes down to what what a person wants, no wrong or rights, just wanted to say more, I'm done now, Thanks.

Sonny Thomas
05-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Dang, alienshooter. Didn't know we was pickin' on ya.....but now that I know your weakness....I mean...Dang, gettin' deeper. Well, good thing us 'uns only pick on the guys we like.... ;)

alienshooter
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Dang, alienshooter. Didn't know we was pickin' on ya.....but now that I know your weakness....I mean...Dang, gettin' deeper. Well, good thing us 'uns only pick on the guys we like.... ;)

lol its cool sonny...its like big brothers picking on the little brother. I just wanted to explain myself is all thanks appreciate everything. :cool:

Lab Rat
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I shot the PSE Supra and the PSE Freak and really like the way they shoot. I plan on buying one of them I just can't decide between them. They are both 37-38 in ATA and the Supra seems really fast. The Freak has an unreal draw cycle, the 70 lb limbs feel like you are pulling 60 lbs.

hawkdriver55
05-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I had a PSE rouge X that they only made in 2008. The draw cycle was terrible but it delievered a punch. After I shot a Silencer I was hooked on the Martin. Ended up getting a Cougar FC. I had shot Diamonds, PSE and Quest.......I just liked the Martin. They all slung arrows around the same speed and would shoot well above my ability. So shoot what you like.

I think alot of it is just WHAT YOU LIKE and how it feels to you. My wife shoots a PSE Stiletto and thats is one fine, fast shooting little bow.

It is the same old argument....COKE vs Pepsi Ford vs Chevy.

Arrow Splitter
05-04-2013, 04:10 PM
What? You don't know? Coke IS better than Pepsi.:cool::D

A.S