PDA

View Full Version : Life of stock Martin bowstrings?

nocknroll
10-19-2008, 12:06 PM
After reading this thread (http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=3664) it has me wondering what would be the average lifespan of strings that came with my 2008 MOAB? I thought strings last at least a couple of years.

WARNING: Archery noob alert......:cool:

bfisher
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Strings do last a long time. Who makes the string is of little importance as to how long the string lasts as most are made of only a couple types of string material. Most popular are BCY 452X, BCY8125, Brownell Ultracam and a couple of others. How good a string is can be determined by whether serving slips or separates or how much it creeps, but seldom is longevity of the string material itself the issue.

The MOAB string was made by Stone Mountain, an aftermarket string maker that makes quality strings. I don't know just what material they used, but most materials are virtually the same when considering longevity.

However, I've seen strings last a day and I've seen them last 10 years. People who make strings have no control over how they are installed or maintained after they ship them.

I've a 2003 Pearson that still has the original string on it, although I don't shoot it any more. Strings may dry out a little over time, but occassionally waxing them and rubbing that wax into the strands helps restore what has obviously worked it's way out. This wax adds lubricant which keeps the strands from abrading each other. Also helps keep water and dirt out.

Take care of your strings and they should last at least two years and probably three. At the end of that time they still wouldn't be what I call worn out. They just lose some of their elasticity and strength.

How much you shoot also means something although I have never figured out how many shots it takes to trash a string. Mine would last several years when I was shooting in excess of 10,000 shots a year. For now I may average 3000 shots per bow (I own several) and rarely even need to wax my strings before I replace them. In fact, I haven't even owned string wax for several years now.

That being said, use good wax when you get some. ML-6, White Lightning or Black Lightning are good. Daltons is good as is Ten Point crossbow wax. What do all these have in common? They are a little gummy and have silicon. Apply any of these to the string. Rub it in vigorously with the finger and thumb, creating some heat, and it'll find it's way between and into the fibers of the string material. You want the wax IN the string. Not just ON it.

JKCameron
10-20-2008, 04:48 AM
The serving slipped and loosened on my 3 week old X200. A replacement was mailed to me after a phone call to Martin CS. No big deal, probably could have used it with a dab of gorilla glue, but it was only 3 weeks old.

Thanks, Martin CS.

dbd870
10-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I'll replace them every couple of years unless I'm careless and damage one.

nocknroll
10-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the input.

brushrat
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
how did you manage to pursuade Martin into sending you a new string? I called them after mine frayed badly after 3 weeks and they offered nothing. They tell you right up front in their warrenty ,that they do not warrenty strings. You must have have a technique in pursuation that none of the rest of us have. But good for you for winning one!