PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah Peep sight trouble again...

TexasMoon
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I re-installed my peep sight after popping out once. Used a few tooth picks to safely navigate through the strands and get it in the middle. But it has popped out again 2 more times. I did have the draw length changed out to the full 30" from where it was stock... # 5 module? I also backed off the limbs 3 turns to what I assume is now around 61 lbs. from the 70 lbs. factory setting. Guess I'm a wimp... but the 70 was unmanagable for me at this point. Wondering if these changes require a new peep tether length maybe? There was now "string" wrapped around the peep above and below and maybe ther4e should be to sort of hold the peep in place.

Thanks for any advice. (- 08 Cheetah)

~Austin~
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah that's your problem. :) It should be served tightly above and below the sight. Google how to do it. It's very simple. If you don't have any serving, dental floss or braided fishing line will work just fine.

TexasMoon
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I sure appreciate the input.:D

~Austin~
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
No problem bro.

bfisher
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Are you using a peep with a tube aligner? Part of the problem might be that the tube is too short. It need only be short enough to turn the peep in the last couple inches of draw. That being said you still need to serve above and below the peep.

If the peep doesn't have a tube then there is something else going on. I use Fletcher or G5 peeps without a tube and rarely if ever serve them in. The only time I've ever lost a peep is when a string snapped on me, and of course, when that happens everything goes flying somewhere.

Depending on how your bow is configured maybe more twists in the string would help, too.

TexasMoon
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Boy, do I feel like anidiot. Oh well, gotta start somewhere. There is a piece of black, surgical tubing attached to it. I was thinking that might be too short... Not sure hopw to measure/check/cure that problem by myself... Do I need to take it to a shop? I did lengthen the draw to 30"... it was on the "f5" cam as I recall and felt a bit short. The whole "peep" concept is very new to me actually. I started back on a dinasaur of a compound bow and after shooting a week or two figured I could use something a little more powerful, stealthier and quieter. Never had a peep and was grouping quite nicely with the old one. Now I am starting all over again... Maybe that wasn't a bright idea this late in bow season. Anyway, I need to get this thing down to a scince. My fingers are taking a beating and the draw is still a bit more than the 56lbs. I had on the old one. I know it's a mean little bow, so I really want to get it and me dialed in. Should I try without the peep? Thanks for your input and assitance.:)

bfisher
10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I thought I saw this in one of your earlier posts. Are you shooting this thing with fingers? No wonder your fingers are taking a beating. You have a very very shortbow and with a 30" draw setting the string angle is very acute, causing severe finger pinch.

Things aren't all that much different from many years ago. To get the best comfort and accuarcy from shooting fingers you really should shoot a longer
A2A bow. It's very tough to effectively shoot anything less than about 38" with fingers.

My suggestion to you would be to, at some time of your choosing,try to switch to a mechanical release or get a longer bow.

OK, about th peep tube. You can buy replacement tubing at almost any archery shop. They would probably install it for you for a couple bucks. While doing this asksome questions and pay attention so you learn how to do it yourself. It's pretty easy really. And FYI surgical tubing works really well and won't dry-rot like what's on there now. Putting it on isn't hard either. Cut it a little long. Wet the nipple on the peep with spit and just push it on (a little elbow grease). The other end just tie around your cable with a clove-hitch knot. Draw the bow and try it. If it's too long then slide it off the peep and cut a little shorter. Reinstall and try till you get it right. You do it a few times and you'll figure it out.

TexasMoon
10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
What a treat to get some solid help with such little effort! I almost feel guilty. I usually do a bit of research before jumping on something, but I found the Cheetahnew in the box from Academy with sights, etc. for $ 250 and got it for $ 200... But perhaps I should have looked a little harder into longer bows. I am using it for hunting and in my extremely limited rationale, I thought a smaller bow might be abit stealthier.

I'll check out the mechanical release and adjust the tether. Many, many thanks for the insight from both of you that replied.:cool:

bfisher
10-25-2008, 08:00 AM
OK, here are a couple other thoughts. When changing to a release it's usually necessary to shorten the draw length of the bow about 3/4", give or take. The reason is because the string is not wrapped around your fingers, but pulled at just one point (the release, a smaller radius is made at the nock. What happens is that you will get stretched out just a bit longer with your anchor. Just be aware of this and be willing to make a few changes if you need to make the bow fit.

Same can be said if somone talks you into using a string loop. That will also make you stretch out more so possible bow adjustments are in order.

As for the release itself. Keep it adjusted short so that the trigger is no farther forward than the first joint of your trigger finger when holding the bow at full draw. Usually between the first and second joint is better. So when looking at releases it''s advisable to buy one that is adjustable and with a shorter head on it. Most caliper style heads are too long.