PDA

View Full Version : weight adjustment on my new moab

featherbound
10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm a new Martin Moab owner(AWSOME!!!!!!). I was just wondering....the poundage is set at 70lbs now, and when I target shoot maybe I should lower the weight some to save the shoulders. I do admit I've been shootin a bit too much caus Im addicted to this fine piece of equipment. If I do turn down the weight, do I have to readjust all my tuning specs?(ie:rest, peep, etc.).
Second question--This is my 4th bow Ive owned and I think its about time I start pickin up some experience and knowledge on how to service my own bows. I really have an iterest in repairing and building bows......Where do I start? Is there a "For Dumbies" book for compound bows or is it- just start doing it and learn as I go? Of course I will start my practice learning on my PSE, save Martin.
Any and all feedback and advise is much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
JIm Hansen

Montalaar
10-22-2008, 02:55 AM
I would say just start learning by doing. I do not know if there is any book for compound dumbies in the usa but if you are interested you can learn everything just by trying it out and reading some articles here and there.

If you lower the draw weight you should not need to move your peep or rest. It can happen that you will have to move your sight a bit as the lower poundage will transfer less eneryg into the same arrow.
If you have to move the sight you will may have to move your peep also but that should be no problem. Just check if you can see the sight through it, if not you can just slide it up or down.

If you want to learn something just pick up one of your older bows, buy a protable bowpress and take it apart to see how everything works and what those parts are for. Different bows have different parts but the main function is the same.
Also you can search for articles related to french tuning (there is also a great video on youtube. Just search for LeEarl and Walkback Tuning). You can try to get the easton tuning guide for arrows and bows as you will get loads of information out of it. :)

featherbound
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks so much Montalaar.

bowgramp59
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
huntersfriend.com go to the technacal help section. there is some good stuff on the compound bow.

2008 bengal
2008 moab

bfisher
10-25-2008, 08:08 AM
I would point you toward hunters friend, too. All seriousness aside, if you want something for "dummies" you are already on the right site.