PDA

View Full Version : 08 cheetah

mlosey
11-01-2008, 10:21 AM
i have an 08 cheetah and im having problems with it, i am left handed and i noticed that on my cam the groove for the string stops right on the string, well on the right handed model the groove goes up past the string about a half inch or so the stops. i think this might be whats causing the problem with my string flying off when i release. i've shot it in front of plenty of people when it did and they said im not torquing the bow to do that they dont see any cam lean. i've taken it to 2 different archery pro shops and neither of them could figure out why and this cam thing was it. earlier this week when we called martin CS they sent me a new idler wheel and cam and axles to both and a string, but they sent me a RH cam and well im left handed we told them that over the phone but anyways the only thing we see different is the cam groove stopping maybe too early. im open for suggestions, i've nearly missed all bow season because of this bow and its really getting irritating and frustrating me. if anybody else has a 08 cheetah LH or RH will you please look at your cam and tell me if the groove stops right at the string or a little bit after. thanks

razorjack
11-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Hers some pics of my 08 cheetah cam....maybe it'll help you.

mlosey
11-02-2008, 05:49 AM
oh thanks the part i need to see is the back of the cam where the string you pull back goes on the cam. there is this groove that mine is missing

bfisher
11-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Jack,

Back off a bit so the camera will focus better. And show where the string leaves the cam.

mlosey, can you post a pic of yours? In particular the string groove. Without a pic I can tell you that where the string leaves the cam thee should be about 3/8" of groove showing. If there isn't then you need to twist the string and/or untwist the cable till you get 3/8". Your cam may be over rotated as it is right now.

mlosey
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
well i wont be able to post a pic until tomorrow the bow is at the archery shop but yeah it might be over rotated i dont know but we will find out tomorrow

razorjack
11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Hope these are right pics!!!!!

bfisher
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Pictures are out of focus, but......

Can't tell in the top photo, but it comes through in the bottom one. It looks like their isn't enough gap where the string leaves the cam. Measure the gap. It should be a minimum of 3/8"; 1/2" would be better.

Here's what might be happening. When you shoot the bow the string travels forward toward the riser and then rebounds back where it's at at rest. Call it "over-travel" if you want. To do this the cam rotates with it. The string might be traveling past the end of the groove and rolling off the side very much like a bicycle chain does coming off a sprocket. Make sense?

Pretty much all I'm doing is confirming what you think the problem might be.

Anyway, try adding about ten twists to the string and measure the gap again. Try to get 1/2" or even a little more. need a little more? Take about 5 twists out of the cable. Keep in mind this i going to shorten the draw by that amount. You might get a little of it back by moving the draw stop. Might even have to change the draw module to the next size up. Don't get excited about it. If all this works who cares what module is on it? Make it work.

Try it and let us know what you get. I hope it works

razorjack
12-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Pictures are out of focus, but......

Can't tell in the top photo, but it comes through in the bottom one. It looks like their isn't enough gap where the string leaves the cam. Measure the gap. It should be a minimum of 3/8"; 1/2" would be better.

Here's what might be happening. When you shoot the bow the string travels forward toward the riser and then rebounds back where it's at at rest. Call it "over-travel" if you want. To do this the cam rotates with it. The string might be traveling past the end of the groove and rolling off the side very much like a bicycle chain does coming off a sprocket. Make sense?

Pretty much all I'm doing is confirming what you think the problem might be.

Anyway, try adding about ten twists to the string and measure the gap again. Try to get 1/2" or even a little more. need a little more? Take about 5 twists out of the cable. Keep in mind this i going to shorten the draw by that amount. You might get a little of it back by moving the draw stop. Might even have to change the draw module to the next size up. Don't get excited about it. If all this works who cares what module is on it? Make it work.

Try it and let us know what you get. I hope it works

Hey that's my bow in the picture and it's shooting fine,;)i hope the original poster got it figured out.......

bfisher
12-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey that's my bow in the picture and it's shooting fine,;)i hope the original poster got it figured out.......

Yeah, well, who knows? It's been 6 weeks and we haven't heard back from him. Sorry for misinterpretting the pics.

I think the cam groove on his bow was the problems. Or should I say lack of extra groove showing. Hard for me to put it in words, but I'm sure we're talking about the same thing.

I do find it a little funny that his shop couldn't figure it out though. It's right there to look at.