PDA

View Full Version : Inserts

norcal1936
11-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I did a search on what glue to use on inserts (carbon arrows) I have a mini glue gun, can I just melt the glue from the gun tip directly on to the insert or must I heat the shaft "a little". I have used a .22 wire brush and Q tip to clean shaft. This is Hi temp glue.

Thanks

bfisher
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
You can try the glue on the insert, but never ever use heat on a carbon shaft. It can totally destroy the resins that hold upwards of 30 million carbon fibers together. I've never heard of anybody using hot glue such as you propose. Goodness, it might work.

Me? I use 24hr two part epoxy exclusively.

Something about cleaning the inside of the shaft. QTip is good, but do not use isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol. It has oils in it that will totally negate your cleaning process. 91% alcohol you can get from the drug store works well for me.

bowgramp59
11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
i use [ Krazy glue advanced formula] on my inserts and i also use it to put my vanes on the shaft , haven't lost one yet!

brushrat
11-07-2008, 07:35 PM
i have tryed the glue gun method but it did not work very well for me. The glue dryed too fast and you have to install them very quickly with no time to
adjust them to make sure they are centered. I went back to the epoxy method as well.