PDA

View Full Version : Bow for a new old guy

C Bailey
11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
So, I'm a relative newbie myself and my 70 year old dad has seen how fun archery can be and how generous the seasons are relative to rifle or muzzleloader and wants to give it a shot. Out of lack of time and willingness to search and learn and try all the other bow brands and the great experience I have had with customer service I have decided to just stick with Martin for myself and have suggested to my dad to do the same. He has a good Pro Series shop near him who have been very helpful and I think he is leaning toward a 50-pound Bengal.

Any thoughts out there on a good low-poundage bow for a new old guy? Everything I have read when I was getting into archery suggests he should look at longer ATA bows for a bit more forgiveness as he learns. The lack of selection of bows above roughly 33" suggests that this rule doesn't apply anymore. The Bengal seems like a good bow. But, I have a line on a brand new 50# Cougar 4 with Mpro cams for less than half the Bengal cost.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

alex
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I am thinking of buying the Cheetah.Have read a lot of good comments about this model (well,and some complains too-about the cams and strings) and i'm sure this is a good choice (price-quality).In the shop where i've found this bow i tried it and it was great -easy to draw,no recoil or torque.May be it will be proper for your father, but you must do some research of your own, at least in the internet.Good luck!

Montalaar
11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Can he try the Cougar? I think this bow is worth it!

The Bengal is a sweet shooting machine. If you want to get a bow with slightly more A2A you could consider a look on the Warthog with the much more aggressive C.A.T.-Cam for 2009.

bfisher
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
First you need to tell us a few things. What draw length do each of you think you should be shooting? As for your dad, is he going to shoot release or fingers. If fingers then don't look at anything less than about 38" long.

If a release is going to be used then he would be very well served with a Bengal. 50# is OK, too. Make sure you get the right draw length on the bow. It comes with modules so it can be changed. Try a Cheetah, too.
Make it fit you---and your pocketbook.

Sounds like you have a pretty good shop near you. I'd work with the guy. If he's willing to spend the time to help you it pays dividends to shop there.

C Bailey
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
First, I should answer a couple questions:

Release, not fingers.

Don't know his draw length, but probably in the area of 28".

Second, it sounds like a 32" bengal or even the 30" cheetah would make a fine first bow, provided the use of a release. He did indicate that the 50# bengal he tried pulled nicer than a 50# Hoyt that he tried. With 50# limbs I believe he is limited to the MPro and moving up to the CAT cam bows would probably be a bit harsh for him.

Lastly, and probably more important, the shop my dad has gone to seems to have treated him very well and the sale amount for a new bow versus trying to find a newish substitute for a bit less elsewhere would go along ways toward service and attention. I hope he takes the plunge. I just wish I had the time to shoot that I know he does.

Thanks again.

bfisher
11-11-2008, 08:25 AM
OK, some questions answered. Good for you.

Shooting a release I'd don't think there would be much difference between the Bengal and the Cheetah, so far as hoiw they shoot. Just take into consideration that any bow with the MPro cam is not going to produce the speed of bows with harder cams such as the Cat Cam. That's one of the trade-offs of having a smoother draw. And that pertains to any make of bow.

In other words, you can get about the same speed from a Cat Cam, but drawing about 7-8# less draw weight. That being said, if he can handle 50# or there abouts with the MPro cam then that should be enough for anything the size of deer. That's about all I shoot any more due to chronic neck and back problems. Actually I shoot a Cat Cam at 45# and it's still enough, so don't get caught up in numbers. Poundage is just a number.

So try a bunch of bows. Make a list of likes and dislikes of each and try to draw up some kind of criteria for comparison. Then let your brain and your pocketbook be your guide. Choose what fits each of you the best.