PDA

View Full Version : buying the Moab

alex
11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I wanted to buy a 08 Cheetah bow, but the one in the shop has a defected wheel, causing string problems and now i'm thinkig of getting the 08 Moab.This bow seems to me even better and i'll give the extra 70 dollars, but i need to see some more opinions, so if you want,please write me about the Moab.

bfisher
11-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Is it a 2008 model? If so then I would definitely go with it over the Bengal or Cheetah. I like the longer A2A for it's forgiveness. You won't be sorry.

alex
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I hope so :) ! It is the 2008 model and it's great. In dollars costs about 700, but for Bulgaria this is a good bow price (strangely, here the bows are with at least 50% more expensive than in the US, being sure the delivery expenses aren't so big :mad: ,for example- PSE X-Force -1500$ ). I won't buy another bow soon, so let's hope the Moab will shoot well for years :) .

dbd870
11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I love mine. The ATA is a about right for a hunting bow light and very nice draw cycle. I'd take it over the Cheetah any day ( heh, guess I did!) :D.

alex
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
May be i'll take it tomorrow. It goes with a quiver,3 pins sight,peep and an arrow rest (not high quality, but good enough).Is it true that you can change the string without a bowpress? Seems a little dangerous, may be must use helmet and face protection :rolleyes: . This IBO-ATA stuff, i understand the mechanism, but why the companies don't make some simple charts with different arrows,poundage and speed? (For the europeans the anglo-saxon measure system is a torture, but this is our problem - i've spent hours with the calculator :D )

flytier17
11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
With any Martin bow, you can back the limbs out until the string is slack, and from there do string work, string changing, limb changing, installation of a limb pocket silencer system, etc... Just don't shoot with the bolts more than 5 turns out.

alex
11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks! This is a precious information.I was thinking of ordering a" nitehawk" bowpress in the future, but now i can save my money :) .

flytier17
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
This system works well, but it is a pain to continually do this. If I were you, I would save up for a Bowmaster Portable press. About 50 bucks here. The split limb adapters make it even easier to use even for a solid limb bow.

Enjoy your MOAB!

Do you hunt there, or shoot spots? I'm not sure where hunting is allowed outside NA.

Alec

alex
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
I've bought the MOAB a couple of hours ago. It is really great! I shoot for sport (in the matter of fact i shoot more for pleasure, when i was a child i liked shooting on long distance and watching the arrow fly far away and i still like this, but since i shoot a compound i started target shoting with medium success, because my bow isn't very good and me too yet ;) ). In Bulgaria bowhunting is forbiden, but i don't mind it, because i'm not a hunter.There are 3-D tournaments and now when i have a good bow i'll try myself in some.As far as i know bowhunting is allowed in some West European countries like Great Britain, France and Spain.

bfisher
11-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Alex,

Wish you luck with that new MOAB. You should certainly be able to pick up a bit of accuracy with a bow with later technology. And for your information there is nothing wrong with "hunting" rubber animals. It's a lot of fun, really.

Montalaar
11-15-2008, 06:20 AM
West European countries like Great Britain, France and Spain.

@flytier
Let me see what i can tell you about europe...

Forbidden in:
Iceland, Great Britain, Netherland, all german speaking countries, Poland, Che... Czech, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece

Allowed in:
Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Lituania, Latvia, Serbia and Turkey

Maybe allowed within the next few years in:
Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Slovakia and Estonia. :)

alex
11-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks, bfisher, i'm sure you're right about the 3-D shooting and hope you're right about the accuracy :) .Montalaar -good info! I was wrong about GB but i have seen prince Charles bowshooting clay pigeons-obviously the important here is "clay" :D

nocknroll
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
THe MOAB is my first bow. I too had been debating between two bows but it was the Cheetah and the Bengal. I looked at the numbers and went with the MOAB for the extra clams.

I just recently changed my drawlength on my own without a bow press... and I'm a noob:D. So yeah, it can be done. But I can see how a bowpress would make it easier...you wouldn't have to worry about the limbs disconnecting from the riser.

alex
11-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, a bowpress does a great job, but unfortunately i can't buy one here.If i'll need some repairs i'll make them without a press.Hope everything will be okay!

flytier17
11-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks Alex and Simon for the info on European hunting. Now I am not so ignorant.

I'm assuming you can bowhunt in all those countries too? Reason I ask is because in Australia, I've heard Bowhunting is not allowed. I could be wrong, but I got that from an Aussie friend of mine. Mind you, he doesn't hunt, but he seemed pretty sure.

Alex: Check out the Bowmaster press. It is inexpensive and very functional.

alex
11-16-2008, 02:42 AM
flytier,i've checked out the bowmaster press- looks a good product.I will ask in the only one pro-shop here and if they don't have it i'll try to purchase it.About the bowhunting in Australia-sorry, i have no idea :(