PDA

View Full Version : MOAB Question

MOUNTIE1
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I just got my 08 MOAB home from the shop. The first day of my first hunt with my new bow, I found a split in the upper limb. Limbs have been replaced and I am ready to try it. I have two questions, first I must say I do not have the most confidence in my local shop. When I picked the bow up, I noticed a lean in the wheel (upper limb), which they fixed while I was there. When I got home and really went over the bow, it looks as if the string tracks good but it looks like the limb is twisted slightly to the right. Also on the MPRO cam, one side has a bushing about 1/8th thick and on the other a bushing about 1/16th thick. There appears to be room for another thin bushing. I can move the cam side to side about the width of the small bushing. Does all this sound okay or what? Any other MOAB owners, is this the same on yours? Thanks for the help.

alex
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
It doesn't sound me okay.I have my MOAB for about 5 hours :D and i'm not much of an expert,but my bow doesn't have such problems like yours or at least i haven't noticed any yet.I think you must go to another pro shop.

pragmatic_lee
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry, but got to ask. Where did you find a Martin dealer in NC? :D

MOUNTIE1
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I am in Western NC. Waynesville to be exact. We are about 30 miles west of Asheville. I think there is also a dealer in Black Mountain and Hendersonville. The one in Waynesville seems to be the only PRO Series dealer though. Also, the limb thing may be just me. I tend to be a perfectionist so I want everything to be right and will worry myself to death if I think something is wrong. I am more concerned about the spacers on the cam. It almost appears that their should be another thin spacer on the one side. I plan to go back to the shop today or tomorrow and look at the other MOAB's. I also plan to call Martin a little later, I know Joel can and will help. Probably need to take some measurements also. It should not matter but they replaced my 08 limbs with 09 limbs. Looks pretty cool with APG camo on the riser and NEXT Generation on the limbs.

pragmatic_lee
11-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I am in Western NC. Waynesville to be exact. We are about 30 miles west of Asheville. I think there is also a dealer in Black Mountain. Also, the limb thing may be just me. I tend to be a perfectionist so I want everything to be right and will worry myself to death if I think something is wrong. I am more concerned about the spacers on the cam. It almost appears that their should be another thin spacer on the one side. I plan to go back to the shop today or tomorrow and look at the other MOAB's. I also plan to call Martin a little later, I know Joel can and will help. Probably need to take some measurements also. It should not matter but they replaced my 08 limbs with 09 limbs. Looks pretty cool with APG camo on the riser and NEXT Generation on the limbs.

OK - I'm in the eastern part of NC (Selma) - not much for Martin dealers here. On my S4 the spacers are a just a fraction smaller on each side of the cam. Basically when this bow was put together we put what ever size spacers were required to fill any gaps. We were just careful to alternate the spacers on the top and bottom limbs (not that 1/64" would really make that much difference in my shooting).

I think I saw over on AT that Joel is on a hunting trip right now, but a call to Martin would still probably be worth your time and "peace of mind".

bowgramp59
11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
i took my cams off to clean them the last time i changed the string , you are wright there is a thin shim that goes in there on the cam, there should not be any side to side movement on the cam. hope you get it squared away. good luck

2008 moab
2008 bengal

alex
11-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Sorry for the stupid question, but what the hell MOAB means? Everything i've found doesn't sound me proper for a bow name.May be Mother Of All Bows? ;)

nocknroll
11-15-2008, 11:12 AM
My 4 month old MOAB has the same condition on the MPro cam end. Looks like there's a 1/32" space but it doesn't move side to side.

MOUNTIE1
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Well I called Martin on Friday and took the bow back to the shop on Saturday. Martin said that it sounded like I had the correct spacers and also that a little lean in the idler wheel was normal for a single cam bow. Right after I got the bow back, I shot just a few times and the lean seemed to get worse. I took the bow back to the shop Saturday and compared to the other Moabs. The spacers were on the wrong sides!!!!! The thicker spacers were on the left side and should have been on the right. The guy at the shop said when he put it back together he accidentally looked at a left handed bow because he is left handed...in his defence, the bows were side by side and I actually looked and the left one first. He also added at thin spacer to take out the slack. I don't know what was going on before my original limb split, but now the bow has never been quieter. This thing is dead quiet now. All I have to do now is get it lined back up.